SRX350 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 02/22/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SRX350
The Ibanez SRX350 bass guitar has superb flexibility and affordability. It has an ash body, slim and fast SRX maple neck, a rosewood fingerboard and 24 medium frets. The B100 adjustable bridge keeps the tuning stability well.
 7.8
 8.2
 7.4
reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
SRX350 Reviewed by: musicfreak003, on february 21, 2008

Features: I'm a guitarist Who has decided to learn bass, and bought this as my beginner bass. First of all, I just want to say that it is awesome for it's price, and I think it was worth every penny. It has an Ash body, which is rarely seen on guitars this price, and a slim, fast-action maple neck. The fingerboard is rosewood with plain dot inlays. It has active Ibanez pickups (with exposed poles) which give the bass a growl that I think works perfect for heavy metal. There are 24 frets (medium sized) on a bolt on neck. WIth the controls you get the standard, a volume control, balancer, and one control each for bass and treble EQ-ing. It's finished off with a transparent black finish, which looks really good and lets the beauty of the wood Shine through. // 9

Sound: I bought this bass to play heavy metal but also for a school jazz band. I was trying to choose between this and a Fender MIM Jazz bass, which beat it hands down in clean, warm tones, but in the end chose this because the Jazz bass was significantly more expensive and my parents wouldn't let me spend that much. The moment it was plugged in I knew it would be an AWESOME bass for metal, it has that deep, aggressive growl that most metal bassits love. After I messed around with the EQ, though, I realized that with a proper amp, the cleans on the bass may not be as bad as I first thought it would be. Overall, it's a kickass bass for metal, but lacks a bit when it comes to being versatile, but then for 270 dollars, I don't think you can do much better! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up pretty decently, and pickups were ok too, although I'd prefer the neck pickup to be set up just a little bit higher. The top transparent black finish looked really nice, and again, really made the wood Shine through. As far as I can tell, there were no flaws on the bass, and is surprisingly well constructed and set up for a 270 dollar bass. I did notice a little buzz on the G string though, but this can be fixed easily. The main thing I really liked about this bass, though, was the neck. It's very thin, and has really fast action. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm not very sure about the reliability, though, because I've never gigged or played Live with it. I'm positive that it will be able to withstand a decent amount of gigs, though. I've knocked it against the wall a few times by accident, but it took the hit pretty well, and it hasn't broken down on me yet. // 8

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and I think this is a really good match. I would recommend this bass to any beginner Who wants a bass for a cheap price. I plan on using this for the next few years and I don't think it'll break down. Again, it is worth every penny. The only thing I wished it had was more versatility, but then, again, it was only 270 dollars! // 10

SRX350 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 22, 2008

Sound: The bass feels very 'solid'. And the neck is thin and fast. It suits my music style, most of the times. I play a lot of rock in several bands and this bass delivers a brutal sound. The amp I use is a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II with a Harkte 4X10" Speakercabinet. The sound is very very clean, maybe too clean for some people. I believe that GK and Hartke don't match very well. Because when I use Ampeg my bass sounds much thicker. The bass is not noisy, the preamp prevents it from being noisy. The preamp gives this bass some versatility (you can go from a Tool sound to a full rock sound) but it also causes to clip some amps very very quick. beacause of the high output. It's not versatile enough for me though. It's not suited for jazz or anything. It's very well suited to use in combination with effects, probably due to the humbuckers. Slapping sucks on this. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall set up was great, probably the reason why I bought this instrument in the first place. I changed the height of the pickups, as a experiment, it gave me a little more punch. There are no real flaws, except maybe for the fact that a ultra low action is not possible. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass is made for playing Live. The hardware could last a nuclear attack, it is very wel constructed. For example the bridge makes it possible to replace a string, very very quickly. wich is nice when you are a speed-thrash-metal-pick-player (which I'm not, I don't break strings often). Strapbuttons could be better. If you jump around a lot, then I would recommend to replace the standard strapbuttons by straplocks. The finish doesn't wear of easily, which is good. Downside is that it is really really thick, which is bad for the tone. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a pretty allround bassist (or I try to be), but in my bands I play mainly rock with a touch of metal. The bass is very wel suited for this. Especially for the price. I've been playing for two years now, so I'm still a beginner. I'm very content with this bass but if it were stolen I wouldn't buy the same bass. I love the playability, the preamp, the neck, the looks. I hate it being not as versatile as I would like it to be, but for that price I can't complain. The finish is also something I hate it is just to thick, it makes the bass sounds a little muffled. // 8

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ GRG170DX 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/09/2014