SRX500 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 07/16/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: SRX500
SRX4 neck, Flamed Maple Top/ Basswood Back, Medium frets, Accu-Cast b-200 bridge, pfr-4 neck pu, pfr-4 bridge pu, eqb-IIdx eq, Honey Sunburst or Transparent Black color.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 8.3
 7.5
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
SRX500 Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 17, 2003

Features: I recently (bout 2 months ago) bought a new Ibanez SRX500, it has 24 medium frets, basswood body with a flamed maple top (black finish on mine, its beautiful :)) has 2 passive humbucking pickups (has an active EQ tho), Accu-Cast b 200 bridge, no accesories tho, all thats included in the price is the bass. // 8

Sound: It sounds great for everything I play, rap, rock, punk, gospel.. normally I play it thru a Peavey 115TNT Bass Amp. It doesn't have that annoying buzz or hum I've found common with cheaper basses, one of the things I really like about it is how much I can tweak the sound on the bass and not have to go to the amp for every little change. It has one master volume knob, a pan knob (changes which pickup your using), then a two band EQ, bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut. Between the 4 knobs you can get a BIG variety of sounds. The sound is always nice and crisp even when ya crank the bass and treble and turn the volume up all the way. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect when I picked it up off the rack at the music shop, didn't have to adjust the action, pickups or bridge, but hey everybody likes their bass setup a little differently, this one just happened to be how I like it. ok now the bad news, couple things I dun like about it, i've got a dead note on the 7th fret G string, pluck it rings for a second and just dies really fast. this has got to do with a bad fret I believe, its not that big a deal though could prolly get it fixed by playin with the bridge some or takin it to the shop and let them play with the fret. It seems like they didn't put a whole lot of care into the finish on the back of the neck, there's several places where I can feel little bumps and dips in the finish on hte back of the neck, it's not really a big deal hasn't affected my playing at all, its just a lil annoying. If I wanted too I could prolly take some steel wool to the spots and refinish them, not worth the trouble to me tho. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live several times without a backup, and I've let friends play it live too, it stands up to the challenge and I have complete faith in it, never played with a backup and I don't feel like I'll ever have too. its rock solid too, I haven't had it very long, just acouple months, but its already taken a fair share of abuse and stood up too it and kept on rockin. I haven't had any problems with the strap buttons or my strap coming off which is a good thing, I thought I was going to have to replace the buttons with a some strap locks but the factory buttons hold good so I don't think I'm going to do that now. The finish is great, there weren't any chips or flaws when I bought it and it still looks great, all the hardware is black chrome and I jus luv that, looks great. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing about 5 years now, I also own a crapped out Washburn. I love this bass, action is perfect and it sounds great, prolly the thing I like the most is how flexible the sound is, with the 2 band EQ and pan knob you can really come up with alot of diff sounds. when i went to buy this I was actually going to purchase a Fender American Jazz, but after I played the Ibanez I foudn that the sound, action, and feel of the Ibanez were all superior to the Fender American and the price tag alot nicer :) If I ever lost this one I'd definetly get another just the same. // 10

SRX500 Reviewed by: Jon B, on september 21, 2005

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the bass (it was my first) it seemed pretty well set-up(because it was)but as I learned more of basses it seemed less and less great. The pickups were just a wee bit close because wen I struck a string it would buzz. So far it has held up quite well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played this bass at gigs many times and it holds up well through them. It is compltely reliable (when everything is adjusted correctly). // 10

Overall Impression: Over all I would have to say that it is good but only for beginners. If you are experienced, don't waste your money. I have been playing for about a year although I have had the bass for three months. ( I played my friends before I got mine). Really if something happened to it, it would as simple as, "screw it I am getting a Yamaha". But really, it is excellent for the money that was paid. The only reason I got it is because my friend had one and it held up well (plus it was cheap). But she was my first bass and I would not trade her for the world. I would strongly recomend this bass. // 10

SRX500 Reviewed by: fongofongo, on july 16, 2007

Features: I got this back in Feb 2005. Korean made basswood body with flame maple top. 24 medium frets w/rosewood fretboard. 2 Passive humbucking pickups with active electronics, 2 band EQ, volume, pan. The controls do everything they're supposed to do but it would be nice to have had a 3 band EQ to control the mids. The tuners, control knobs, and bridge all look like hell now from being coated in sweat but I guess that could be expected. // 8

Sound: Great sounding bass. Suprisingly Bright. I've played it through mostly a Fender Rumble100 1X15 combo amp and through my current rig which consists of an Ampeg SVT, classic 300W head, Ampeg 4X10 B-Series cab, and an Alesis 360 rackmount compressor. It is a very dynamic bass. Even after messing with the pickups for god knows how long the E and A strings were considerably louder than the D and G strings but it's nothing a decent compressor can't fix. I've managed to get a pretty decent slap tone out of it but I have to really crank the mids up on my amp to do so. It's also got a pretty powerful low end to it. I usually play with the pan knob slightly favoring the bridge pickup with the bass boosted about 1/8 of a turn and the treble boosted just a little more than the bass. Definately a great rockers bass but if you know what you're doing you can use it for pretty much anything. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up was definately sub-par. When I got it it needed major truss rod adjustments and intonation adjustments. The action was set up a little high but that was an easy fix. The pickups were a little low but again, easy fix. Really fast playing bass once I managed to fix it up a bit. The only woodwork flaws I've noticed are on the backside of the neck. Nothing major though, just a few little tiny dips in the finish. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass can definately take some punishment. I've had it fall over, drop, bang into walls and it has never shown sign of weakness. I've used it at quite a few gigs without even really considering using a backup. I just ordered an Ash body Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass which is in a whole other league compared to this bass but I am definately going to hang on to it and use it as a backup when my J-bass gets here. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 4 and a half years now. I got this bass after only a year of playing and I really had no idea what I was doing. I really just liked the way it looked. Now that I know what I'm doing I realize that I really was lucky to have bought not only a great looking but very nice sounding bass. It's super fast to play and makes a great upgrade from a cheap-o starter bass. Definately worth the money if you can find one for sale. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AEL207E 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 04/14/2014