JB-130 Review

manufacturer: Johnny Brook date: 01/04/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Johnny Brook: JB-130
This bass is aperfect match for me as it handles Metal and Prog very easily, and is very competent when used for Punk/New Wave. My favourite feature of this bass is it's comfort. Also I love the full tone which effectively cuts through other instruments.
 5.8
 8.6
 2.9
review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
JB-130 Reviewed by: Burn_The_Witch, on january 04, 2012

Purchased from: E-Bay

Features: So my Bass was made in 2009, but may have been earlier. It was made in Japan. It has 20 fret Rosewood fingerboard on a maple neck. The body is presumably Basswood (not specified by manufacturer). It has a Black finish with a white & aluminium scratchplate. The body is a standard "Jazz Bass" style. It has passive elecronics; 2 Jazz Bass Pick-Ups. It as 2 volume controls (One for each Pick-Up) and one tone control. It also came with a Gig-Bag. // 7

Sound: This bass sounds awesome. It suits anything from Punk to Prog Rock to Thrash Metal. It is very versatile and comfortable for all genres, although only having 20 frets is a minor limitation. I am currently using it with a Hohner Force bass amp with an EHX Bass Big Muff Pi and DigiTech Whammy. It has a very full sound, and when one pickup is turned off, the sound can become more hollow for effect. It is great for Volume swells and tone swells. It produces all manner of sounds; from low ponding Metal tones to bright, silky jazz tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar came from the factory (I will be honest here) the action was way too high, but apart from that there were no issues what'soever. The bridge was easily adjustable and is rock-solid. The controls are firmly rooted in place and are noise free - apart from a slight hum when any of the two pickups is turned down all the way, but is barely noticeable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass has withstood gig use and has endured many a painful band practice and attacks from "over-enthusiastic" friends. The hardware is all rock-solid, apart from the tuner, which broke within 8 months of rigorous use (I replaced them with a cheap replacement set and have had no problems since). I would most definately gig without a backup. The finish is very good, and has only scratched once. The only big flaw was the input. I had a minor problem with the wiring, but nothing 5 minutes with a soldering iron couldn't fix. // 8

Overall Impression: This bass is aperfect match for me as it handles Metal and Prog very easily, and is very competent when used for Punk/ New Wave. I have been playing bass now over a year and a half (and guitar -seriously- for around 2 years), and I also own a Tanglewood Rebel 4K, Ibanez GSA-60 (and as of today) an ESP F-155DX. If this bass were stolen or lost I would not hesitate to buy another, and would actively search for it ceaselessly. My favourite feature of this bass is it's comfort. It can be played in any position, sitting, standing or even lying down. Also I love the full tone which effectively cuts through other instruments, yet still supports the music I'm playing. It can't really be compared with my other basses as it has a totally different tonal quality and feel. However I would say it is my most trusted and most played. // 10

Comments