Variax 700 Bass Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 04/11/2006 category: Bass Guitars
Line 6: Variax 700 Bass
The Variax Bass 700 is a groundbreaking digital modeling instrument using patent pending Line 6 technology to bring you 24 exciting bass sounds ranging from vintage instruments to modern classics, acoustic basses and even synth sounds! It's the only bass you'll ever need! With Variax Bass 700, you can show up to any live gig or studio date with the confidence your tone will always be perfect for any tune.
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Variax 700 Bass Reviewed by: ironmaidenrulez, on april 11, 2006

Features: Made 2004 I think. It is like about 50 efects pedals and in a flick of about 3 switches, you get a toatally diffrernt sound. Lamianated top. Ash neck. Made in America. I got this bass just before I done this review. // 10

Sound: Extremely versatile bass. Tones modelled on vintage/modern classic basses - 24 in total including some pretty useless synth sounds and a double bass that doesn't track too well. No-one can realistically expect any bass apart from the originals to sound exactly like they do but this bass gets close, and most of the sounds are useable and very good, versatility is the keyword here. The active tone controls and 'pickup blender are really useful. The ability to save eq settings on the modelled sounds is also really handy. I use it with the supplied mains powered DI box. It eats batteries. I used it once in a competatave talent show at school, and I was the one who one it because everyone was astonished about all the sounds it made. From the Rickenbacker to the Fender P-Bass sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I've read some comments that this bass looks cheap. I'd disagree. the fit and finish is really good, and the materials used, alder body, maple neck, are high quality. The neck I have found to be more playable than many Jazz Basses I've used. I use this as a reference point because the neck is very J Bass, it's slim and fast and comfortable to play. I can achieve a low action with little fret buzz as long as I don't dig too hard, but hey relax and let the piezo pickups built into the bridge saddles do the work. The factory setup was fine, no problems with it, but of course everyone has their own preferences so it was easy to adjust to my liking. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Seems really well made and I wouldn't have any hesitation gigging with it. I haven't had it long enough to assess how the hardware etc. Will hold up. // 10

Overall Impression: I have played/owned most basses of note. I can honestly say that this is one well put together bass which offers a fairly radical innovation for bass players. I bought this after extensively trying it out at the local music emporium, and my dad and me was impressed enough to buy it new, or newish. It'll never beat any of the bass it models on a side by side comparison, but where else can you get this tonal variety onboard combined with great playability? Try one at least, it might the thing you've been looking for. // 10

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review