BE 5 Exotic Review

manufacturer: Mayones date: 07/27/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Mayones: BE 5 Exotic
This bass sounds really good for almost any genre. This instrument will suit well into everything. Jazz, Metal, pop. The sound quality is really superior, and I love his low B.
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
review (1) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
BE 5 Exotic Reviewed by: MarlinGlave, on july 27, 2011

Price paid: € 1290

Features: This bass was made around January 2011. Made in Poland. This brand, really popular in Europe, is starting to get famous even in America, thanks to the high craftmanship and to the promotional tour performed by Maurizio Rolli Italian bassist with the Chicago Jazz Orchestra. The body is Ovangokol NT with the neck made of five sections of maple and mahogany with a rosewood fretbord. It is oil finished, His body style and look remember the Warwick Thumb. Those instrument are almost all handcrafted for the most of their production. It feels like an artigianal bass. The model I've borrowed for the review has a J/J configuration with Bartolini passive pickups and a Mayones active preamp (it can be purchased even with the bartolini preamp, or with the EMG pickup/electronics set in the Gothic version) WSC bridge and Mayones artigianal tuners (they are really good and stable locking tuner). This bass came with the Mayones gigbag. // 10

Sound: This bass sounds really good for almost any genre. It has the mellow sound that you expect from Bartolini's but tweaking my Markbass T902 I've manage to get even a clancky and metallic tone. This instrument will suit well into everything. Jazz, Metal, pop. The sound quality is really superior, and I love his low B. No noise at all. Personaly, I don't really like bartolini pick up's, but this is me, I have to admit that this bass sounds good for almost everything. I will prefer the EMG version or a custom configuration (Delano pickup's with Aguilar OPB3). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was perfect. The guy with this brand here in italy has done the setup when they arrived in his store, but he said that he didn't changed so much the factory setup that was pretty low, but with no buzz or dead notes. Pickups were ok. Good factory setup. Talking about flaw is that the string spacing is really thin. I don't know how much, but for sure this bass is not really good for slapping. But if you manage to slap with that string spacing the tone you will get won't disappoint. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Absolutely 100% Giggable. Were talking about a professional instrument. This brand is a direct rival of brands like Sadowsky and Sandberg. I really like how this bass sound but in the end I didn't take it. I can't make a bad review on my personal tastes, this bass is awesome, it can't be denied. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal. This sound will suit this style perfectly, but it's hard to explain, I didn't really liked the sound, for my taste I prefer the Gothic version that has EMG. If this were stolen... Man that guy would kill me! No no, I think I will buy the Gothic Version that is identic to this bass besides EMG and black satin paint on the body and headstock) This Exotic version sounds like a rivistation of the Warwick Thumb, while the Gothic sound's like a Thumb with EMG's on it... This wasn't the bass I was looking for, but it's quality and how it sounds really deserved a review on UG! // 10

More Mayones reviews rating category latest review
+ Setius GTM 6 9.5 Electric Guitars 01/06/2011