Cirrus BXP 4-String Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 07/28/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Peavey: Cirrus BXP 4-String
Although it does have a few flaws, this bass is brilliant. This is the best bass I have ever played, and would recommend everybody at least try one out!
 9.3
 9.6
review (1) pictures (4) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Cirrus BXP 4-String Reviewed by: ToddJames, on july 28, 2011

Purchased from: The Bass Centre, London

Features: This was the first bass I got when I decided to make the jump to active pickups! I'm not entirely sure what the pickups are, but they're the ones that came with the bass, and I can't imagine why anybody would need to change them. It also has a volume control, and a pickup selector. It has a thru neck with 24 frets, which once you have you find yourself using surprisingly often. // 8

Sound: This is the only bass I have ever played that can equal the classic Fender for variety of styles. It can play any style of music that I have ever played, from funk to rock to jazz to blues to IDM. I use this bass with an Ashdown Electric Blue 180 evo, and they compliment each other perfectly. The only downside of this bass is that because it runs on two 9V batteries, it can be too powerful for some amps or recording equiptment, and it can get distorted when the EQ gets turned up too high. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't ever had this bass set up or played with, and the action is (in my opinion) perfect, although I've been told my action is quite high before. I was genuinely upset the first time I scrayched this bass, because it just looks so good. Even with the inevitable marks that it picks up, it looks great, with a natural finish and thru neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I regularly gig with this bass, as well as numerous practices and rehearsals. I've never had any problem with the hardware, although it can be difficult to open the back panel to get to the electronics. The little screws can be quite fiddly! This bass does have one quite big flaw though. It has no passive option, so if the batteries are running out during a gig, you're screwed. I also have a problem with the strap button close to the neck. Because the arm is quite thin, the wieght of the bass has caused it to crack. It hasn't affected the sound or any other quality, but it annoys me every time I see it! // 7

Overall Impression: Although it does have a few flaws, this bass is brilliant. It was my second bass when I decided to get serious about playing, and unless it breaks I would never buy another to act as my primary bass. Even if I lost of broke this one, I would probably buy the same model again. I also own a 5-string as a backup, which I think is a good idea for a working bass player, as it is required more often then you might think. Even with these problems, this is the best bass I have ever played, and would recommend everybody at least try one out! // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Envoy 110 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 11/10/2014