Milestone 3 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 07/08/2010 category: Bass Guitars
Peavey: Milestone 3
Goes with a bag, strap, 3 plectrums and a Peavey Microbass Amp. 20 frets, chrom hardware, j-style, 2 single coils.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.1
 Features: 8.3
 8.6
 8.6
 8.5
reviews (11) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Milestone 3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 29, 2004

Purchased from: guitar and drum centre (cambridge)

Features: Have no idea when it was made, but must be pretty recent, the bass has a medium number of frets (20) which is ideal for beginner bass guitarists. The body is made of a wood but I unno whic one, but the neck is rose wood/maple, and has a laminated finish on the sunburst body, and the neck is pretty. The body style seems to be quite a mix on this bass, with Telecaster/Strat/Music Man Scratch Board, and a cool body. There are three controls on it, volume, tone, and tap. It holds its tune extremely well, still after the 3 or so years I have had it. It came with lead, and gig bag and strap. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the bass has never been adjusted by myself, being perfect for my suited playing style, but some people at the factory cocked up with the electronics, and did poor soldering jobs, leaduing to it messing up once, but being easily fixable. Apart from the original electronics on the bass, ebverything else has been perfect, never producing any faults at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The bass has survived 3 years with me, and has taken me from absolute beginner to an experianced player, and has played many live gigs with me, about 50-60 in all, and has never once failed me. I have strap locks installed but only because I still have the original strap in place, and is wearing, but apart from that, there are no noted problems. the finish is life-time guaranteed as far as my one goes. // 10

Overall Impression: I play plenty of different genres of music, mainly funk, but punk, rock, ska, blues etc. The bass sounds great in all the different genres of music, and techniques I use. I also own an Ibanez BTB406 six string bass, Behringer 1, 200 watt Bass Cabinet with Behringer V-AMP Pro, and Gibson Les Pool, Gretsch semi-acoustic and a Fender Stack for the guitars. If it was stolen, I would go and buy a Milestone 3 again, if I hafd the need for another four string bass, though I would get buy with my six string. I love the rich, deep, solid sounds and feelings that come from playing the bass, you can use any technique possible on it at an experianced level, and it would sound great, and feel comfortable. the only thing I hate aout this bass is the fact that there are no 5 or 6 strings of the same style and make availiable. I have compared it to most Fenders, Musicmans, Gibsons, Ibanez four strings, and a Conklin four string, and no otrher bass feels as great as this one, it is the best four string you can get. // 10

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Purchased from: peter cooks guitar world

Features: This bass is a wicked starter bass. I'm sure you're thinking I got ripped off for it, but this is simply because I'm a lefty, and there were no packages for lefties. I am actually right handed in everything else, but I play guitar and bass left handed. It is a solid body, 20 frets thin neck. Passive electronics, 2 single coils and came alone. No bag or amp or even a frickin lead. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was pretty good when I got it but over time the ol' jack in came off which was a bitch. Also the nut cuts were slightly off, and a strap button came off. But other than that it was good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If you were to gig, this bass probably wouldn't last for many of them but if you play it with respect and calmly then it'll be ok. // 8

Overall Impression: I play somewhere between funky, jazz, rock styles. Not too heavy and definately not puck, cuz thats just boring (I can't believe Blink 182 are the highest tabbed in this site, there music is easy). My bass was metalic blue by chance and so was the bestest looking bass in the land and probably still is. // 10

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: The Devils Fish, on july 17, 2003

Features: For christmas i received the ideal Bass for starters a Peavey milestone package complete with a bag, strap, 3 plectrums and a Peavey Microbass Amp. The actual guitar gave of a good sound in the Amp but the pickup was a bit slow on it but the right class for a beginner. The look the was superb with two horns either side of the neck with a blue metallic finish and a dark wood for the neck. The ideal bass setup aswell with 4 strings and 20 frets it is easy to pickup. The only thing lacking from the whole package was instructions although i could of thrown them out with the rubbish on christmas day it was more likley not to have any. I would recommend this Bass for any person who is just about to start Bass playing. Please visit my website at http://www.geocities.com/krupnik2003 // 8

Sound: The sound produced from the Amp was a little fuzzy and did not process well and has no CD input on the amp I thought this let the rest of the package down. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish to the guitar was brilliant with the blue mettalic finish and the two horns either side of the neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can rely on it to play bass lines and mini pieces but it has not been tested with the big stuff yet i think it would fall. // 6

Overall Impression: A Classic guitar to start. // 10

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2003

Purchased from: Gamlins

Features: I think this is a great guitar for a beginner. I got mine from gamlins in Newport 6 months ago, with a Peavey microbass amp and a lead. The guitar came in a fiesta red colour with no blemishes, 2horns, 2 jazz pickups and a p-style pickguard. It has 19 frets, all of which are accessible and the neck has a smooth action. It has a tone knob and 2 volume knobs, one for each pickup. Overall I was very impressed with the features for such a cheap guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar came pretty well set up. The neck is good and even and the guitar only goes out of tune when you drop it. It was really well finished in a nice red, which is now covered in stickers. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have thrown this guitar down the stairs, hit it against walls, dropped it repeatdly and covered it in food and yet the only damage is a few dents on the headstock. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Chili Peppers and this guitar is perfect for it. I've tried other guitars but I keep coming back to this one. If it was stolen I would definitely get another one. My only regret is the amp. // 10

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: crfowler_09, on march 18, 2006

Features: Peavey has been making quality bass guitars for quite awhile. If I'm not mistaken, they make the best beginner/intermediate basses on the market, in my humble opinion. The Milestone 4 is absolutely no exception to the wonderful streak of basses they have made. It has a laminated top body and a twenty fret neck. I was made in Korea (no date) and came with volume and tone control. It has a pretty (I'm colorblind) deep maroon and white surface that seems to glitter in the light. I would recommend it to beginners and not so serious intermediates, the frets "buzz" too often and certain chords of low quality will wear out fast. Overall, it is a good bass, not bad. // 7

Sound: It suits my style fairly, it needs smaller frets and neck, with more distance between the strings. I use a Kustom 10 watt amp and it sounds perfect with volume at max and tone at minimum. I have not tried any effects on the Milestone, but if I do, I'll be sure to up date it. It tunes well, but the first string is a bit too monotonous, and hard too slide with. Hammers poorly, buzzes a lot. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was properly adjusted the way it should've been, not a problem at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I beleive that this guitar isn't the best, but it is adequate, I would use it for about a year or two, maybe a couple gigs, but no longer than three years. // 6

Overall Impression: I play punk/emo/metal and it, again, is adequate. I've been playing for three months, and I like it. I hate the buzzing it does if you hit a fret in a certain place, but I love the durability, it can go through hell and back, temporarily. I wish it was wider and smaller, I compare it to a early Fender bass, practice makes perfect. Adequate, but good. // 7

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2004

Features: This is my first bass guitar and I've had it for just over 2 years and it has only let me down once when the jack socket came loose. There is a volume control a pick up control and a tone control. I would recommend this bass for any beginner. It has 20 frets and is a great bass as I have already said. The neck and frets are just well enough spread out and are good distances apart. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got my guitar I was very satisfied with it and was able to play more or less straight away. When I bought my guitar I did not buy an amp to start off with as it was another 90 or more pounds and eventually got my 100 watt. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has only 1 problem I have discovered is that the jack socket keeps coming loose but that is only a minor problem. I have dinted my guitar when I have been practicing and got a bit annoyed but the finish is very good. I probably wouldnt do a gig without a back up with any guitar so not with this one. The bass main problem is my jack socket but it's only minor so it is very depenable. // 8

Overall Impression: I play greenday, Blink 182 and some NOFX and this guitar has suited me. I thought I would buy another after about two years but im perfectly happy with mine now so im gonna keep it. I've been playing for 2 years and this is my first and only guitar I've had all this time and enjoy picking it up and playing it. // 8

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: Tibro, on march 23, 2004

Features: 34" Scale. 20 Frets. Maple Neck With a Rosewood fretboard. Pickups: 2 single coil (hum canceling when used together). Controls: Individual pickup volume control and master tone control. Body: Multi-lam hardwood body with sculpted front and back contours. Bridge: Stamped steel bridge with machined steel saddles. Colors: Black, White, Sunburst, Metallic Garnet Red, Metallic Dark Blue. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Superbly put together. There were no flaws in the bass at all. Pickups were perfect and the bass has always been good. The bass was ready to play as soon as i got it home and it sounded as great as it does today. Very well put together. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Overall this bass is great and durable. I have had it for over a year now, it has been to many practices and a few gigs also. It has travelled alot, survived quite a few (accidental) drops and alot of playing. Over the year the only problem I have found to the body work is a slight dent on the side. This has not affected the paintwork which hasnt chipped. However a big problem is the guitar lead input. The bolts often come loose and stop the guitar outputting a signal. Even when properly tightened the problem can repeate in just a few weeks. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar before I knew anything about playing the bass. I learnt how to play from scratch on this bass and for that purpose it was superb. However I would advise you to look around at other basses, or atleast try this bass before you buy it. There are no problems with it, but others may suit you better. // 8

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: Tabby, on may 03, 2004

Features: Really Good bass guitar with a good sound and nice finish on it. It's made in many colours and mine came with a guitar gig bag and this model was only made a while ago and it stays in tune well and so far hasnt taken any damage when drop or knocked against anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It's was made very well and I haven't found any problems with the pickups or anything for that matter. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar kicks ass and has also never scracthed from knocking or dropping. Unfrotunatley, the strp dosent hold well on to the guitar. I would use this on a gig without backup due to its durability. // 8

Overall Impression: This instrument is superbly suited to my style of music. I was torn between a squire or this bass and I chose this because of the lack of damage on the Peavey. // 10

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: Stud_Muffin, on april 12, 2008

Features: I got this bass very cheap, second hand when I just started out playing bass. It features a very light body and fast maple neck, completed by a rosewood fretboard and 20 very accessable frets. Mine has a very fetchin blue finish and is completed by a P Bass style pickguard (though I never use one) and two J style pickups. As a starter, I feel that I got a great deal and got my playing career off to a good start. The previous owner threw in a MAX 126 bass amp, strap, lead and gigbag. // 8

Sound: When I first got this bass, I didn't have a clue about EQing or anything like that. Now that I know a bit about it, I can actually appreciate how good this is for a beginner bass. True, it's not up there with Warwick, MusicMan, Rickenbacker and all the other elitist brands, but for a starter bass, this is as good as it gets. For a beginner instrument, the tones you can produce are quite varied. The neck pickup is warm and the bridge has a bit more bite to it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Surprisingly, this bass was quite well set up. The previous owner (my dads friend) must have looked after this bass well. He sold me this to pay for a more expensive bass, but I haven't seen him to ask him what. When I got it, there were no marks on it, but now there's a nasty chunk out of the body above the pickguard when my dog knocked it off the stand. Other than that, it is very playable and I find that the chunk adds to it's character. The previous owner never changed any of the hardware, or even the strings! I think he had the James Jamerson outlook, but when I got it, they were as dead as a dodo, but this produced a very dull, thumping tone, which I rather liked. So I changed the grotty strings for Fender Flatwounds, which still give me the dead tone, without the horrible, grimy strings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this for various small performances, like at a motor show and my dads 40th birthday party, when I was younger and it did surprisingly well. I used it without a backup, as that was my only bass, but I would have used one if I had had one. The hardware and strap buttons seem pretty solid, but I doubt it will last forever. The finish seems a bit thin and my bass has many chips and knocks out of it. // 7

Overall Impression: This bass is suitable for most styles, being a starter bass and made for the starting bassist, before they have made a choice as to which genre they would most like to play. Since getting this bass, I have aquired an Ibanez SRX305 and a Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass, which I both love. If it got lost or stolen, I wouldn't bother replacing it as I have two other lovely basses in my possession. Saying that, I would be pretty annoyed if got stolen. On the whole, it is a very good starter bass, and for the price I payed, a complete and utter bargain! // 8

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2008

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: not sure

Features: I assume this bass is of a maple or Ash body because it feels very much like a jazz bass copy, yet not at all. 20 frets in all on a rosewood fingerboard/maple neck. The neck is nice and slim. I play a lot of crazy stuff, I have songs that literaly after I play them I start shaking my wrist wildly cursing and if I didn't have thsi bass I'd probably have a broken wrist by now. The body is furmiliar being stratish styled, but the long uper arm is really cool looking and gives the bass outstanding weight balence. Two single coils for your pickups with thier own volume knobs and a tone knob. The bridge is just a standard bridge, nothing special about any of the hardware actualy. Mine is the black finish with white pickgaurd which I wrote all over and put stickers on giving it my own look. // 10

Sound: I have an interesting bass style. I play lots of music but mainly borrow my bass styling from being a guitarist and just really runing scales and octaves all over the places. For anything I play though the bass sounds great however I do use a P-Bass for some songs where the tone is more suited, especialy because it sounds more even when switching strigns where as the single coils give an extream from string to string in tone variance. It's warm sounding though and has this sound if you can find the right amp and settings that I just love, but you can make it sound many different ways, however you want it to sound it'll at least come close to that. I prefer it smooth and deep but when I started playing I had it sound very rough and vulger. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass was set up perfectly from the factory and the action on it is amazing. The slimer, almost smaller neck just works so well for me, you can play very fast on this bass and very hard, it's perfect for slap bass, picking or finger picking. I also find that the strings don't tend to rattle as much as most basses. The finish is fine, the black and white is plain but a classic, hence the reason why mines got writing and stickers which made it look a lot cooler. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played any shows with this yet but I record with it all the time, it can take a beating for sure and is well made. I think it will last quite a while. I defenitly would use this at a gig. I plan on it actualy the only other bass I'm going to get is a new Fender P-Bass because mine just doesn't sound as clear // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from slap bass to death metal stuff and it handles it well I've been playing bass for about 2 years and guitar for about 5. I got it as a gift and I really did luck out there. If she was stolen, I'd probably buy a Fender Jazz just for the name but I would be heartbroken to part with this beauty. I don't really have any hate for this bass, I do really like it, I've compared it to other basses I've played and in some cases prefer the sound of a P-Bass but I love this ones sound more then anything out there. // 10

Milestone 3 Reviewed by: 0GibsonLesPaul0, on july 08, 2010

Purchased from: Used from friend

Features: It is a pretty simple guitar when it comes to features. Basically it is a cheaper version of a Fender Precision Bass. It was used from a friend but he added a gig bag, a new strap, and put brand new strings on it. The Peavey Milestone III has two single coil pickups and two volume controls. It also has one master tone control. The bass has 21 frets and what looks like to be a Wilkinson bridge. It has a Strat-style body with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. With passive electronics and a solid blue finish, you can't go wrong for a price like this. // 10

Sound: The Peavey Milestone III has great sound when turned down to a decent volume. But when you crank it up, it can get a lot of feedback. It can get really muddy with the tone down all of the way. I have played a decent amount of basses (trying out in the store, friends houses, etc.) and none of them have the extreme tone control that this one has. I don't really have a bass amp, but I run it into a big subwoofer speaker, which is a pretty good setup when you don't need anything fancy. When you record with it, you can get a really good sound out of it. You just don't want to record it strait into the mixer/studio because you get a lot of snapping from the pickups and strings colliding. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't encountered any big problems yet except for really loose tuning pegs. They don't turn out of hand, but compared to most basses these tuning pegs are a breeze to turn. The problem with that is that it is harder to get a perfect tuned string because they slide too much when you turn the pegs. I'm not that picky of a guy, so I would say that everything else is really good. The other problem is a couple of frets up high on the fretboard can get really buzzy. But that's just a minor problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played a good number of gigs with it and so did the friend that had borrowed it, so it is pretty reliable when playing live. I haven't really had any strap button problems either. The finish is really good, and the bass came with a pickguard so the finish is sure to not wear out that quickly. I don't really care for the pickguard, though, because I don't play with a pick. But the designers of the bass don't know that. Yes I know you could take it off and fill in the screw holes, but I'm just too lazy to do that. // 9

Overall Impression: It fits any style of music. From jazz to rock to metal, it always sounds good. I can't really compare it to any other basses because I don't own any and only borrow others. There isn't really anything I would have asked because he let me try it out for about a week before buying it. If it were stolen/lost, I would defiantly buy this one again. Probably the best bang for your buck. The only thing I wish it had was a thumb rest but I've gotten used to it. Overall, a great buy for someone who doesn't need anything fancy and is on a budget. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ PXD Twenty-Three III 8.8 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014