Millennium 4 AC BXP Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 07/05/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Peavey: Millennium 4 AC BXP
The sound suits my style perfectly, because I play pretty much everything and this thing is that versatile. Excellent tone for pick, fingerstyle, and slap styles of playing. Lots of variety in tone, thanks to those active pickups.
 7.5
 9.2
 5.7
review (1) pictures (7) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Millennium 4 AC BXP Reviewed by: ThrashMetal014, on july 05, 2011

Purchased from: Concert Music World

Features: Made very recently, but not sure about the year. Says "Handcrafted in Indonesia" on the back of the heastock. Has a 21 fret, 34" scale neck. I bought mine with a solid black colored body, although it is available with a quilt maple top in several colors. Body is made from Agathis, and the neck is made of maple with a rosewood fretboard. Glossy finish, looks really nice. The body is the same as any Millennium series, with a deep double-cutaway design. Comes with a finger-style bridge (what the website says) which can either be strung on top of the body or string thru, your choice. Comes with a blend knob and master volume, along with a 3 band EQ to go with the 2 active VFL humbuckers. Non-locking Hipshot Y-style tuners and included a gig bag and strap. // 9

Sound: The sound suits my style perfectly, because I play pretty much everything and this thing is that versatile. I run through either a Line 6 lowdown or a Fender B-dec with a Zoom effects box. No noise at all, pups are super quiet. Sound can be either very bright and punchy with the onboard EQ's treble boosted, and can also be very fat with the bass turned up and some treble cut out. Excellent tone for pick, fingerstyle, and slap styles of playing. Lots of variety in tone, thanks to those active pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how the guitar's factory set-up was, as it was bought from a local shop and more than likely set up there. But whoever did it did a master job, the action is nice and low without buzz and the neck is straight. The neck is my favorite of any bass I've played, narrow and fairly thin yet still rounded for a good feel. It's a naturally finished neck so sliding around on it is easy. Pickups are just fine where they are. Body in great shape, polished nicely. Only flaws were that the fretboard has some small marks on it in the higher frets, but it's hardly noticeable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar beyond the shadow of a doubt would hold up to some serious gigging. Hard ware is good, seems solid. Strap buttons are fairly large, so your strap isn't likely to let go (although this depends entirely on you strap's quality). Dependable? Yes. I'd gig it without a backup, and I also plan to (since my other bass isn't working). Finish looks quite good, although it is glossy, so some light scratches may come out of heavy play, especially for you pick bassists. But that's no big issue at all. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Rock, Metal, Blues, Funk, hell just about anything I feel like and I also solo and freestyle a lot. I've been playing for 3 years and I also own a Washburn Bantam series bass with a P-Bass pickup. This by far outshines it in terms of tone. If stolen or lost, I'd find the guy who stole it, beat the crap outta him and take it back! Haha, no, in all seriousness, I'd buy another one. It's worth it. I love its neck's feel and its tone, its look. Just about everything, can't say much negative about it. I'd compare it to an Ibanez, but this is by far better than any GSR or Soundgear I've played. Anything I wish it had? Hmmm... Maybe a Kahler Bass tremolo? Haha. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Envoy 110 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 11/10/2014