Millennium 4 BXP Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 12/07/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Peavey: Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey's new Millennium 4 BXP bass guitar combines sexy looks with features offering you our best valued bass ever. Genuine quilt maple top adds a stunning look to any of the four available finishes. The hard rock maple neck has a silky smooth satin finish and a great feeling action that plays superbly.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
 7.9
reviews (6) pictures (6) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Millennium 4 BXP Reviewed by: Smokey192, on january 22, 2007

Features: I got this bass for an excellent price. Its maple neck and rosewood fretboard give it a really good effect, adding to the sunburst body design. The thin handle makes it easy to play, and with 21 frets, this is a very good idea. There are 4 possible finishes, all looking really stunning. I got the black style which looks really good because it seems to change colour depending on the light and where you look at it from. So far it has looked black, brown, purple, blue, and red. Cool eh? It also has a string-thru-body design which really is good for the price of the guitar, and it enhances the already amazing sound. Similar to the Millenium BXP 5 it has two tone and 1 volume control on it. The Millenium 4-string BXP also has two J-style, hum-canceling pickups. This is really good. // 9

Sound: I play rock, so this bass is really good and suits the style that I play, but that's not all. The Millenium 4-string BXP will suit pretty much any style of music and will appeal to a wide range of musicians. I use a Roland 100watt cube amp with this bass. When the two are together the sound is amazing, and because the amp has so many different setting, the bass can be all different sounds too, and doesnt't have any problem at all. The base gives an excellent sustained sound due to the string-thru-body feature. The Millenium 4-string BXP is noted for it's excellent sound and I agree that it's realy good quality for the price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: From the moment I unpacked this guitar there have been no problems whatsoever. It is basically as perfct as they could have got it. The only thing was that as you get higher up the fretboard the frets become slightly harder to reach due to the design of the body, but this isnt much of a problem and you can easily get round it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The reliability of the 4-string BXP is really quite amazing. I have played it Live and there were no problems at all, in my opinion it is suited to live playing. The hardware is also really good for the price range and is very durable. There isnt any trouble with the strap buttons either, the are really solid and will last for ages. This guitar is probably one of the best basses for playing and will last for a very long time. It is really good for gigging and playing Live. I trust it a lot. The finish is of high quality and will definately last for a long time. Again it is a really good guitar for the price. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said I play rock, and the 4-string BXP suits this really well as it does any style of music. I have been playing for 4 years now, and I have had this bass for a good few months, I am really impressed with it and I am sure it will last me a long time. If it were stolen I would be mortified, but I would almost definately buy it again for the value and the quality of the price. I love the quality of the finish of the body, and the sound it makes. It can come untuned very easily, but I found that this was the bag I had. When I was buying it I had the choice of the Peavey or another brand (I can't remember) which had active pickups, this basicall meant it had more of a punch. The only thing was the other one was around 300 and had nowhere near the quality of the Peavey, so I chose this one. The guitar is amazing value and quality, and even if you are not an experienced bass player it is still really good. // 10

Millennium 4 BXP Reviewed by: Bassmaster2010, on december 12, 2007

Features: This bass was made in 2006 in Indonesia. It is a 21 fret 34" scale bass with a fast thin maple neck. It has a rosewood fretboard and a basswood body with quilt top. This bass has a sunburst finish fading from an Orange color to black which looks killer. The back of the body is contoured to fit comfortably while playing either standing up or sitting down. The bottom cutaway makes it a little hard to play the really high frets at times but with a couple hours spent on this bass you will get used to it in no time. On the bridge there is a saddle for each string and it is fairly easy to adjust. It's string through body or string through bridge, which ever you want to do. The pickups are passive and it has three knobs: a volume for each pickup, and a knob for overall tone control. It has single coil, noise cancelling, jazz style pickups that have a great sound for all types of playing. I'm not sure of the brand of the tuners but I know that they are non-locking. They are a decent set of tuners for a bass in this price range and will keep your bass in tune for a decent amount of time (you can make it through a whole set easily). These features make for an awesome bass especially for a bass you can get for under $250. // 9

Sound: I play mainly classic rock and classic metal. When I'm not playing either of those I'm playing some soft rock or new rock and jazz. This bass exceeds any expectations I have for these styles and so many more. I have this bass ran through a DigiTech BP200 and then on to a Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 with a Backline 4x10 speaker cab. Even through these lower end amps and effects it is a very quiet bass. I can sit in front of a computer and my amp and only get minimal buzzing. The sound is very full and has a lot of lows and mids. The highs are lacking some but can be made up for with almost any amp. The best styles of music to play on this bass are rock, jazz, and any other smooth or really heavy bassline. When you get into slaping basslines it gan get a little muddy at times because of the action and open pickups making clicking noises. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this bass the action was awesome. I have never had this bass set up and it plays like a dream. At factory settings the pickups are a little high and if you play hard at all the E string will hit the poles. You can turn the pickup adjuster screws a couple times and fix that problem though. The neck joint is very tight and holds the neck very well but the routing has one bad spot in it where it stops being perfectly straight for about an inch, but other than that it is great also. All the cocntrols on this bass were flawless and tight. There was one spot in the paint but I'm pretty sure that was from someone that had played it before. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only played one Live show with the bass but it handled it well. I plan to play many more shows with this bass too. I doubt I will have a backup bass for these either. I have dropped it, and it has been knocked off the stand by my brother, and my guitarist has hit it with the neck of his guitar all without showing any signs of it. The strap buttons are held on very well and they are fairly big so they will hold on to your strap easliy without the worry of it falling. The finish is beautiful and it is very thick. I have dropped stuff on it that would have scratched any other bass, but not this one. // 10

Overall Impression: For me playing rock music this bass matches perfectly. I have been playign for about a year now so I am still fairly new to all this but I know one thing, and that is that this bass rocks in every way. At the time I purchased this bass there wasn't any other bass I wanted. If this bass ever has anything happen to it or it gets stolen I wouldn't think twice about getting another one. There are no complaints frome about this bass. It is light and easy to play also. // 10

Millennium 4 BXP Reviewed by: 04glchadwell, on july 10, 2007

Features: Hi, I'm new to this bass guitar business so I am not an expert in this field I am not sure when or where this bass was made but I know some parts. The bass has 21 frets, the neck is comfortable and not too thick (perfect). The face of it is laminated. The body is basswood with quilt top, the neck is maple. The finish is smooth satin. An active electronic system, Peavey Cirrus neck and bridge active pickups, provides an extra boost in volume and tone. The bass also features volume, mid and treble controls, bass, pickup blend, as well as the new Peavey headstock design. Peavey VFL active pickups. I also bought a gig bag, strap and cable with it. I got a special deal, and all of it came to 150! Great Beginners Bass! // 8

Sound: My music style is rock/punk and I think it is great for it, also sounds great playing jazz. I am using an unknown 30-watt amp, called fret21. It is quite noisy, mostly on gain setting. A nice rich sound. You can change the style/sound of the bass e.g. muted or picked. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have only had the bass a month now and everything is working perfectly. It has a very comfortable neck and is very nice to look at! The pickups are easily adjusted. There are no flaws. Good quality wood, no loose hardware. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not yet taken the guitar to a gig but there is no reason why it wouldn't still work great! The hardware seems very sturdy. The strap buttons sometimes do not hold the strap on fully but this is probably me not putting them on correctly. I would definitely use the bass in a gig without backup. The finish is maple so it doesn't wear off easily. // 7

Overall Impression: The bass works with the style of music I play, it sounds great for punk or jazz. I have only just started playing bass but I have been playing drums for three years! I had a lot of help choosing the bass and the man in the shop told me this was a great buy for the money! I would definitely buy the bass again if it got stolen it's a great guitar! I love that the bass has a rich and clear sound to it and the finish is beautiful! There is nothing on the bass I hate. My favourite feature is the lovely finish and the comfortable neck. I compared this bass to the Yamaha RBX170BL but there have been complaints that it ate batteries. No batteries needed for this bass! Overall a very impressive bass! // 8

Millennium 4 BXP Reviewed by: Fingerboy18, on november 17, 2007

Features: This bass was constructed in China. Rosewood fretboard, 21 frets, 34" scale. Solid Top, hard rock maple neck, and basswood body. Quilted top. String-thru body bridge, passive electronics, volume, and 2 tone controls. A neck and bridge jazz pickup. Solid tuners. // 8

Sound: This bass does not have versatile tone controls. It sounds alright, but is decently noisy. It has a vast tonal range, but limited tone variation. I use an Ampeg B2-RE bass amplifier head with the cab section of a Peavey TKO 115. I had to make some circuitry modifications for it to sound a little better. The sound doesn't exactly stand out without hard work. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is decent, but it's not too easy to tap on. The pickups were at a great height. Everything was solid on this bass. To this day nothing has rusted or broken. I have had this bass over 3-4 years. The nut, saddles, bridge and tuners are all solid. The potentiometers had to be changed; thought this is normal after a few years the wiper wears down the phenolic wafer. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass will certainly be suitable for Live playing because it can simply take the abuse. The hardware does last. The strap button screw came out one time, but I used a larger screw and it's been fine since. I have used this bass at gigs with no backup. The finish is very durable, I have scratched it and dinged it, but it still looks good. // 9

Overall Impression: I play jazz, progressive rock, metal, rock, pop, and more. This can work well with some adjustments to my amplifier's EQ section. I have been playing for six years. I own an Ampeg B2-RE bass head, dbx 160a compressor, and Peavey TKO 115. This bass survives the rigor of playing hard. It could sound a lot better, but this bass is dirt cheap for its quality. // 9

Millennium 4 BXP Reviewed by: Johnny Lingo, on february 23, 2010

Price paid: C$ 125

Purchased from: Used on Kijiji

Features: I picked this up on Kijiji with hardshell case and a Fender Rumble 25, all in excellent condition, for $200 Cdn. Features include: * Active VFL humbuckers from the Cirrus line * Volume, pickup blend, bass, mid, and treble controls * Agathis body * Quilted maple top * Maple neck * Rosewood fretboard * String-through-body bridge * 34" scale * 5-bolt neck joint * Hipshot Y-style machine heads * Standard wheel torsion rod * String-thru-bridge with ferrules * Satin black hardware One I have is Tiger's Eye, and is really very nice to look at! // 9

Sound: The 2 pickups are nice, with good volume and tone and are very quiet. Standard eq/volume setup let you mix pickups well. Tone range is quite nice, although body is Agathis and very light, the tone is nice and low with good sustain, thanks to the string thru design. This is a studio bass, so it has to be very flexible tone wise, and it is. It is used with the Fender Rumble 25 straight up or with a DigiTech BP 50 bass pedal, or into the mixer directly, and in all cases is excellent. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Since the bass came used, I don't have a real idea of the factory setup, but I think it saw very little use and likely had not seen an outside setup or string change. Having said this, setup was very good, action and intonation was nice, pickups at the proper height. The neck was finished well, no fret problems and was set properly. All hardware was tight and smooth, a real bonus for such a low priced bass. Tiger's eye finish was nice and well done. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This bass won't see a stage with me, but I am sure it would tour okay, if you were going to use a low priced bass for whatever reason. Hardware is sturdy and well done for a low priced bass, and I am sure for a budget minded musician or beginner it will be excellent, especially for the low price. This bass is made to take it, like most everything Peavey makes it seems. It looks good and is built to last, sort of like an old classic automobile. Never play without a backup, as it is unprofessional, period. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass is an excellent bass for most any type of music. That is what I got it for and it does the job splendidly. I have been playing for 30 years and this is an amazing example of Peavey making a quality instrument for a very low price. I am primarily a guitarist, but have played a lot of bass and this is all I need for studio work, and I am sure is could tour, and is light enough to hold for a full night's work in a local club. I would have to look around for a while I am sure to find a bass like this at the price I paid, and even at it's retail price it compares to many high priced ones. If you require a versatile standard bass, this one is an excellent choice! // 9

Millennium 4 BXP Reviewed by: PiqSiq Project, on december 07, 2011

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Used (Kijiji)

Features: Bought used with a Fender Rumble 25 amp for $250, so I'll call it $150. Excellent condition and came with a hard shell case. Super deal for a bass of this quality. 21 frets on rosewood fretboard, with a maple neck. Nice sturdy neck, with a very nice tone. 2 J style hum cancelling pickups and string thru bridge are nice features on an inexpensive bass. The basswood body is light but has surprising tone and sustain. 2 volume pots and 1 tone, basic tuners round out the features. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of different styles on guitar, and bass is my second instrument and I mainly play for studio purposes. Having said that, this bass has a great range of tone, from low and thunderous to pop and twang. Mainly doing prog rock right now, and this is an awesome bass for sure. I use it with a DigiTech bass pedal, just into my Micro BR and do effects later. No noise or issues, thanks to hum-cancelling pickups. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Bought used, so I can't say how it was from the factory or store. When I got it the action was high, but was easily set up to play fast and furious. I am impressed with how good this guitar was put together for the price. All the electronics and hardware are good and the workmanship was there. I am not a huge fan of the quilt maple top finish, as I have seen better, but I don't play it on stage. When I was done cleaning, restringing, and setting up this bass, I was was amazed at the excellent deal I had gotten. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used a lot of Peavey equipment in my life, and one thing they do is last. This bass was made to stand up to most everything, and I have no idea how it was treated by the former owner, but I think it take what ever I could throw at it. The hardware is good and well put together, and the finish looks like it will last a long time. I think you could trust it for years, not just one gig, without backup. // 8

Overall Impression: For most pop, rock and metal styles, this would be a good bass for regular gigging, if not fancy. I has surprisingly good sound for an inexpensive bass, but Peavey makes a good, if basic, piece of equipment, at the very least. I have been playing for over 30 years, and this is as good as basic bass as I've ever played. Like I said, I am not a bassist primarily, but I know my way around one quite well, and this better than any Squier, Epiphones and the like for the same price or more. No active electronics or fancy features, but a great solid bass with a good degree of variety in sound. I would try and replace it for the price if damaged or stolen, but would likely not be able to. // 8

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014