Millennium 5 AC BXP Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 01/29/2013 category: Bass Guitars
Peavey: Millennium 5 AC BXP
It features an agathis body, hard rock maple neck with rosewood fretboard and an attractive quilted maple cap. An active electronic system, driven by Peavey Cirrus neck and bridge active pickups, provides an extra boost in volume and tone with more expressive sound control.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 8.5
 8.9
 8.1
reviews (3) pictures (6) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Millennium 5 AC BXP Reviewed by: eddiehimself, on february 12, 2007

Features: Peavey Millennium bass guitars are well regarded as the essential working player's bass for their solid low end, playability and craftsmanshipin fact, pros such as John Campbell (Lamb of God), Josh Sattler (doubleDRIVE) and Marco Mendoza (Ted Nugent, Whitesnake) are avid Millennium players. Each Millennium AC BXP bass features an agathis body, hard rock maple neck with rosewood fretboard and an attractive quilted maple cap. An active electronic system, driven by Peavey Cirrus neck and bridge active pickups, provides an extra boost in volume and tone with more expressive sound control. These 21-fret, 34 inch scale basses also feature volume, pickup blend, bass, mid and treble controls, as well as the new Peavey headstock design. // 8

Sound: I like the sound of this bass. It's quite strange because the mini humbuckers actually sound a lot like single coils, you get a very transparent sound with this bass, but thanks to the active electronics, you can make the sound really thick, with a lot of mids and earth shaking lows, even with my crappy Peavey Basic 112, it sounds amazing if you play some chords. Unforturnately, it doesn't seem to handle a lot of distortion in the same way but it dosen't matter 'cos the cleans are so good. The sound is quite soft, it doesn't have a hard-hitting quality that you might want if you play slap bass a lot or if you just like that sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Now here's the thing, I think this was prolly the fault of the shop but one of the knobs was missing that was pretty annoying. But everything else seemed fine, I needed tro adjust the intonation and the action a bit, but this was easy thanks to the bridge, which is like 5 mini bridges, each for 1 string, like on a lot of cutom basses. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This bass seems very strong, the finish is still flawless (and this is an ex-display model) The strap buttons are very big and in all the time I've had it, it's never come off, so it seems pretty good. This bass is very dependable, I think it would easily withstand Live playing. // 8

Overall Impression: I play most types of modern rock+metal music ('80s onwards) and I would say this bass was a good match for that, I personally think that this bass would work with most styles of music apart from if you want a really hard sound but I think that maybe a compressor would help. If this bass got somehow stolen I would probably get another bass but that's just 'cause, as I've said before, I feel life's too short to get the same bass twice! The reason I got this bass was 'cause I saw it in a shop and it looked bloody beautiful in purple with black hardware, and I was in this goth band at the time so I thought it would help their image. I wish it had all 5 knobs! // 8

Millennium 5 AC BXP Reviewed by: Lemurs4mangos, on june 29, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The bass was made 2009 in China. 21 frets, Rosewood fretboard and agathis body with quilted veneer, Transparents black finish, String-through finger-style bridge. Active PuPs. Volume, Blend, Shape, Bass, and Trebel knobs are given. Peavey VFL active PuPs. Hipshot Y-style tuners. No included accessories. // 9

Sound: I play Metal music mostly. Thrash Metal, Alternative Metal, Hardcore. I also play rock, and some jazz. I've used A Cry Baby wah f a while and Boss bass distortion. The bass is not noisy at all. You can get almost any sound out of it from jazzy to punchy, you can get a crunch only, or a long sustained note just by turning the knobs. The bass can make smooth sounds and a full on crunch. The low B string especially has different sounds. Smooth or that full on smack sound. I do play some slap and I fine that the Neck Pickup does the most for this style, but it does have a very good bright sound for this style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's action was perfect, although I did have to spend a good hour re-adjusting the bridge. The 12th fret was not matching up at all as an octave, and I use this a lot in my playing. The notes seemed out of tune from about 8 and up. The bridge re-adjustment fixed this problem easily. The pickups were adjusted very well. All the hardware is very secure and well put together, the only real problem I had was the bridge. Oh, this is small but... The 2 9-Volts were not attached, but this was very small, and I'm not sure if they should have been attached. They were in the battery compartment in the bass just not connected. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood a couple weeks of band practices, and my hard hits, it stayd in tune very well, the strap stays on (these strap buttons seem larger than most I've seen). The hardware stands up very well to regular ware and tear. I would use it at a gig without a backup, if it weren't for the fact that I'm affraid to break a string, but this has nothing to do with the bass, I just think that all artsit's should have a backup incase of broken strings. The finish is lasting very well, very very hard to scratch. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before I play Metal, Rock, Hard Rock, and some Jazz stuff. This is a great match for these genres even though the bass's look from the finish I got, doesn't exactly LOOK like a Jazz Bass, if you're goin for that I suggest the "Tiger Eye" finish. I've been playing for almost 2 years and this is my 2nd bass. I also own a Fender Squier P-Bass. The only thing I had wished I had asked about was what batteries it took. But the 2 9-volts isn't a problem, I just suggest re-chargable batteries. If this product were stolen/lost I would definately buy it again. My favorite feature is probably the 5th string, but I also love the tone from the bass itself, and the pickups. The only thing I don't really like about it is how easily fingerprints and such show up on it. I compared this to Traben Array 5 and and Ibanez 5-string, I picked this one because of value, and I loved the finish. // 9

Millennium 5 AC BXP Reviewed by: Arron_Brown_, on january 29, 2013

Features: Made in China/ - 34" scale - 21 frets - Laminated top - Solid Basswood body with a quilted maple cap - Maple neck - individual finger-style bridge - String-thru body or top load - 2 Peavey USA design VFL active humbucking pickups - 18 volt electronics - 9v preamp - 9v pickups I purchased straps and cables after this It came shipped with just the bass but at the price most people (even beginners) will have money to get a strap and bag as well. I have been playing for years and this is by far the best bass I have ever purchased and played. I got this on clearance and god knows why it was going so cheap. // 10

Sound: I play everything from metal (thrash, death and core) to funk and this is excellent. The bridge pickup gives a more passive sound and the neck pickup is a very prominent active sound. I can get almost any tone out of them. I use a Vox Pathfinder 10 at home and and Ampeg, Peavey and Marshall cabs when not. I get excellent tone from each and I couldn't ask for more from a bass. I love the sound, I love the pickups and I can compare them to EMGs, Bartolini's and Seymour Duncan's and these come out on top in experience. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass came with a really nice low action straight out of the box which I have kept since purchase. The pickups were also perfect straight from Peavey. There has been no flaws and it is again excellent in every aspect. One thing I must point out though is the battery compartment may seem a tad small. You need to insert the batteries top to toe as it takes two 9v batteries. It is a very snug fit but can be removed fine and batteries easily replaced. This bass also has a fully adjustable and accessible truss rod but I have never needed to touch it, I haven't adjusted anything, its just perfect out of the box. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No problems gigging with this, I have even dropped it pre gig and there were no problems whereas my Ibanez has done in the past with bashing it about as I am quite clumsy with everything. Still looks as new 6 months on. Hardware is brilliant the cirrus electronics and pickups sound better than Bartolini's I have used in the past. I use Planet Waves lock straps and I have never had a problem. No adjusting has been necessary apart from obvious pre gig tightening. Since the near death of my Ibanez I have used this bass soley for gigging and practice. Never had a problem, its all I take no backups. Love it. The finish looks impressive, feels beautiful and still looks as new and doesn't scratch. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is this is the best bass I have ever picked up. I have played everything from Stingrays to Fender Jazz's and this is by far my favourite bass. I paid next to nothing for this compared to other instruments and I love it. I get a lot of comments of its looks and sound all of which are positive and its maroon finish I have it in is a work of art. If it was stolen I would go back out and get it again and again and again. But if these basses are good enough for John Campbell they are good enough for me. I love everything, ant fault it at all. I can't fault this at all and it is just as solid as when I bought it. If you are considering this bass, just do it they are cheap with an expensive feel, build and even better sound. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ PXD Twenty-Three III 8.8 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014