Millennium 5 BXP Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 04/06/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Peavey: Millennium 5 BXP
A real maple quilt top maple veneer provides stellar looks at a whole new price point. The 34" scale smooth satin finish neck is made of hard rock maple with rosewood fretboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.6
 Features: 9.6
 8.4
 9.4
 7.3
reviews (7) pictures (1) 22 comments vote for this gear:
Millennium 5 BXP Reviewed by: funky_slap88, on october 15, 2004

Purchased from: roxy music shop

Features: This bass is loaded down for the price (quilted maple top sunburts finish) two tone and 1 volume control, string through or bridge stringing configuration, fast narrow neck, low action (good for slappin and poppin) and two hum canceling j style pickups. 22 frets and beautifully crafted. So many excellent bass players around my neck of the woods adore the instrument. Don't let the price fool you, this bass is amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I know roxy music always sets up there guitars and basses to the best possible configurations they can before setting them on the shelf. There was no problems with the setup or finish at all, beautiful, and I'm not just some novice or beginner player, I'm very experienced. I spent 9 months checking out basses before I bought the right one for me and it so happened to only cost me 235. // 10

Reliability & Durability: 1000% giggable. Everything is just amazing. God loves me. // 10

Overall Impression: There is nothing bad about this instrument. I would totally buy another one if it were broken or stolen. I new everything possible about the bass before I purchased it so I need not to ask any questions. I play so many styles from jazz to nu metal, and it fits them all. I feel like I'm just retyping what I typed up above. // 10

Millennium 5 BXP Reviewed by: peavey-milenium, on march 17, 2006

Features: This is a beautiful guitar with 22 frets. The neck is thin and makes for easy movement. Cherry-wood fretboard and oak body. The gran is visible through the blue finish. It has 2 humbucker pickups that are very pricy and sound amazing. The guitar sits very confortably and is easy to pluck, pick and slap. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds like heaven. I have not played a guitar that sounds this good. For the price you pay it is easily the best sounding guitar. It has 2 tone knobs that change the low-mid-high EQ. The sound is very full and it fits nice with a band. When the guitar is set to trebble it can sound kinda weird and I think that it the only downfall. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is set up beautifully. The pickups cud not be set up any better because it sits just right when you pluck. The bridge is very nice and goes throught to the back of the guitar. The guitar only had one flaw and that was there was a little bit of the wrapping stuck under the bridge lol. The finish is very good and you can see teh grain. If it is not the grain then it is a sweet paint job. All of the hardware is painted gloss black and looks great on the dark paint. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does stand live playing. I have done gigs with my band and it still sounds just as good as it does in the recording studio. The hardware seems to last very well and the only problem is you can see a lot of scratches on it. The strap buttons are huge and they will withstand anything you throw at it. The guitar will never fall off of the strap. I have had this guitar for 2 years and it still looks almost brand new. // 10

Overall Impression: The impression is very good. I play rock and this guitar is meant for that. I have been playing for 5 years and I play a Peavy 200 watt amp. Before buying this product I wish I would have had a lower price because I got ripped off. The best thing I love about this guitar is how it sits on your lap while you play. I compared this guitar with a Fender Jazz Bass and I like this one by far. The only thing I wish this guitar had was more tuning knobs. // 9

Millennium 5 BXP Reviewed by: t3hrav3n, on january 13, 2007

Features: I love this bass. I first played it in my local guitar shop and I liked it well enough. I needed a bass, so I got this one for Christmas and since then I've fallen in love with it. I intend to explain why in the rest of this review. All the other reviews say that theirs were built in 2004 or something, so I suppose that's when mine was built as well, but it may have been 2006, I'm not sure. Made in Indonesia, headstock says so. It also has a strange symbol telling me not to throw this bass in the trash, curious. 21 Jumbo (I think) frets, with pearloid fret markers all the way up to the 21st fret (no skimping on that). Thin "D" shaped neck, which is really the only thing that bugs me about this bass. Up in the higher registers, it seems a little uncomfortable if I place my hand a certain way, but unless you like your bass super-low, it shouldn't be a problem. Oh, and it's 34" scale. The basswood (which is surprisingly pronounced like the bass fish rather than "base") body is made of three pieces, one core piece with a wing on either side. Mine has a beautiful tiger's eye stain on the quilted maple top with a high-gloss finish. The body is quite comfortably contoured and shaped somewhat originally. Unfinished Hard Rock Maple neck that glides oh-so smoothly and perfectly for my taste. Beautiful black hardware all around. Schaller-style split-post tuners, string retaining-bar, and black plastic nut. It has a string-through body with a pretty, black bridge, with individual intonation and string-height adjustment. Two passive J-style pickups that are pretty hot. Three knobs: two volume, one tone. There's a volume for each pickup and they wired it so it acts as sort of a blender, so you can have them both all the way up, just one on, or have one up all the way and another partially, all without affecting output. Nice. Oh, and there's a nifty little tone knob that smooths the tone out when rolled off. Stock strings seem fairly good and last a while, considering how long the thing has been sitting in that shop. // 10

Sound: I play rock and a few of its sub-genres. It has everything from a great mellow tone to it, to a good modern tone. It all really depends on how you configure the knobs. For example, with just the neck pickup on and the tone rolled off, it's got a real smooth feel to it and you can really feel the low b on it. With just the bridge pickup on and the tone all the way up, it's got great attack. I play worship music and a little more laid-back stuff and this bass is great for that. I also play a little bit of metal and this bass is also great for that. Pretty much, this bass is a good all-around bass. It's not noisy at all, considering that it has the "humbucking" pups in it. I don't think they really are "humbucking" despite what the manufacturer says, but they've got no hum or any unwanted noise, so I'm not complaining. When you put it through the Danelectro Fab Chorus pedal and roll off the tone, it sounds amazing. You may exclaim. Well, yeah, but it still sounds great. I don't have a bass amp at the moment, and use my Ventura Vintage 30 practice guitar amp to, well, practice with. You may exclaim, but don't worry, I know what I'm doing and it seems to work fine. It hasn't blown up yet, so that's a good sign. I have, however, played it at my church, through my youthgroup's system. Plugged into a direct box, which goes to our sweet new board, which then goes to our mains and our 15" sub (shudder of excitement). 15" sub+this bass=pure joy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Stock, this bass rocks. I don't know how it managed to stay in such good shape in that shop for so long, but this bass came perfect. Everything is perfect, not a scratch on it until today. No flaws my human eyes could see. Pickups, intonation, action, even tuning head resistance, perfect. No complaints. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand Live playing? Hells yes. Nothing on this bass feels like it's going to crap out on me any any time in the near future. Strap buttons were indeed solid, but I put Dunlop Straploks on it anyway. Considering how easy it got a scratch on it today, one would think that the finish is crap, but I've banged it harder on other stuff. For the most part, good finish. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about two or three years now, and bass for just a little while, but I'm a decent player and I definitely know my stuff about instruments. I feel dumb for giving everything a 10, but it's really how I feel about this bass. I've played a few and this bass is definitely in my top 3 favorites, the only others beating it being a Warwick 5-string Thumb bass and an Ibanez 6-string. I would beat the bastard Who stole this from me with his own arms, if only for the reason that he stole my joy from me when he stole an instrument of mine. Though I might look into that Ibanez 6-er a little bit more if for some reason this bass ceased to be in my posession. // 10

Millennium 5 BXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2005

Features: This bass is a 5-string, thin neck, active bass. Made in 2004 in Korea I think. Basswood body with maple top, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. Mine has a transparent black finish, schaller tuners, and controls for volume, pickup blend, and active controls for bass mid, and top. It also contains the humbucking pickups from Peavey's expensive Cirrus line. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish on the guitar is beautiful, and there were no physical flaws in the guitar whatsoever. Pickup adjustment was excellent, no tinkering needed. I have every new guitar set up upon purchase, and the only thing that needed to be adjusted was there was a slight fretting out on the low b string near the nut, but easily fixed. Again, I rate it a 5. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Never had a problem with it, through steady gigging (2-3 gigs per week, 50 weeks a year). I've had it for about 4 months now, and there has not been problem one. I don't carry a back up usually, I depend 1000% on this ax, and I don't forsee any problem with it at all. Seems obvious though, as Peavey is the only company I have been able to rely on 100% for the last 9 years I have been playing live. // 10

Overall Impression: You should know by everything I stated above, this is hands down, flat out the best bass for the money on the market today. Go get one now! // 10

Millennium 5 BXP Reviewed by: ericman93, on november 20, 2006

Features: My Peavey Millenium BXP is made in 2004. It is a Quilt top, in Transparent black. it's pretty sick. I think it's made out of mahogany but I'm not sure. It has a very large top horn, and it is a string-thru body. It works on passive electronics, not active. It has 3 knobs. 2 volume (one for one pickup, one for the seconnd one) and one tone. There are 2 J-Style pickups. The tuners are locking, but sometimes slip. This bass stay in tune long enough for me. I bought I gig bag for it for $30. // 9

Sound: This bass doesnt't fully fit my style of playing though. It's more of a jazzy bass, when I play death metal. I use it with a Fender Bass combo. The bass only sounds good if you have the tone knob all the way up. If it's not turned up, it sounds horrible. It doesnt't have a very wide variety of sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was set up fine at the factory. The action is very high, I hate low-action basses and guitars. The pickups were excellent, except the tone problem. And I have not found one flaw with the bass other than the tone problem. I found the action, fit, & finish to have no problems or flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think it would withstand Live playing. The hardware is good and strong, and can take a beating. The strap buttons are very wide, so you don't have to worry about the bass falling off during a gig. I can depend on it, but I would still play with a backup (just incase). The finish has a solid coat and will last a long time of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play death Meatal, and like I said, this is a very jazzy, poppy, bright-toned bass. It wasn't such a good match for me. I have been plaing the bass for as long as I have been playing the guitar wich is 12 years. If it was stolen or I would somehow get it back from him, but I wouldn't go to the extent of killing him like I would for my Washburn Dime 332. I just wish it had better pickups. // 8

Millennium 5 BXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2007

Features: I think my bass was made in 2004, that's when I bought it, it was made in Indonnesia as it says on the back of the headstock, along with a serial number. Mine is actually the 4-string, '78 version of this bass. It has 21 medium frets on a rosewood 'board, it's a 34 inch scale length like most basses. The neck is an unfinished maple while the body is alder. The body looks like an update on the classic Precision shape with thru body stringing. It's a passive bass with 2x volume and 1x tone control. It has a two jazz bass pickup configuration, these are both Peavey's own brand. // 9

Sound: I play many styles from funky slap lines to picked riffs and fingerpicked lines. This bass deals with them all very well, the bridge pickup has a great attack and growl when used on it's own but the neck pu is smooth and bassy, when used in parallel they combine to give a great tone, you can easily acheive tones reminiscent of Fender's jazz or Precision basses. I also found you could get a descent slap bass tone from this bass if you play around with your amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box, this bass had a nice action, I dropped it down a little and found it easy to do so. All of the hardware was set up nicely and worked well (like the black finish). // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged this bass about 5 or 6 times and it has pefrormed well both times, it's been solid and has only picked up a few dings and dents along the way. I have only had one problem with this bass and that was when my neck pickup completely cut out. I took a look under the backplate and found some wires had come loose, after some simple soldering it was as good as new. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said, I play lots of styles, slap is probably my favourite and I love this bass' tone for funk. I have been playing almost 3 years and use this bass with my Roland 100 watt combo and DigiTech Bass Driver and synth wah. I asked the guys at thomann if this bass was good for funk styles before I bought it and they did recomend it, they were right! I highly recomend this bass to anyone looking either for a good starter bass or an upgrade. // 9

Millennium 5 BXP Reviewed by: nath1000, on april 06, 2007

Features: I'm not really sure what year this was made in, but who cares? It's got a standard 34-inch scale, amazing neck, and 21 frets. What I like most about this bass is the neck; it's a bolt-on, but it's the perfect width and thickness for my playing style. The body is made of basswood with a beautiful quilt top, and hard rock maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. It's a standard double-cutaway body style, but with an extended upper cutaway, helps it balance better. Standard bridge and passive J-style pickups, with ultralight tuners. // 9

Sound: This bass suits my playing style perfectly, whether I'm in the school rep band or playing with my friends. I use a Peavey combo, 75 watts, and it gets really nice volume, without any swells or drop-outs. No more noise than a standard bass with single-coil pickups, as long as you use a floating-thumb technique to mute the sympathetic vibrations. Great variety of sounds from this bass, really punchy and full of mids. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was set up almost perfectly from the factory, great low action, with no fret buzz. The pickups are at the perfect height, I didn't have to adjust them. And the finish is amazing. I've had so many compliments over this bass, nobody believes the price I paid. No flaws at all yet, but it's only 2 weeks old, and I doubt I'll ever have any problems. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is an amazing bass, and just like any other Peavey, it's built like a rock. I've dropped it a few times, and nothing wrong yet, just like my old Peavey, which I've banged and smashed off hard floors for fun, and it still works fine. I've played with a few people, and I know it can stand up to my "energetic" playing style. The finish is there to stay, no way it's gonna wear off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play almost every style of music, it all depends on my mood. This bass is great for any style of music. I've been playing for a long time now, and I have no regrets buying this bass. If it were stolen, I'd look for someone playing it, because I'm the only person I know Who has one in the tiger eye finish:) Once again, my fav feature is the neck, I love the way it feels. I tried out a few other, much more expensive bassesI like this one the best, even over a Warwick, which surprised the stupid salesman trying to sell me the $3,500 basses when I only had 500 in my bank account, but I'm cool like that, I don't care about the name on the headstock, especially for a bass that performs this well. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014