Zodiac BXP Review

7.9
 9.5
reviews (4) pictures (5) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Zodiac BXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 19, 2009

Features: Made in 2008 in China this bass is a four string, 21 jumbo fret slim "jazz" clone maple neck/maple fingerboard, Alder bodied instrument. Features a combination of two passive P/J pickups, straight forward Volume/volume/tone controls. Finish is a beautiful gloss tobacco sunburst. Large "Tele" style black plastic pickguard. Chrome open gear tuners, chrome control plate, chrome knobs and heavy duty "Badass" style chrome bridge. Kind of looks like a hybrid of a Precision/Tele bass. Arrived with Truss adjustment Tool, small bridge adjustment allen key and a cheap quality lead. // 8

Sound: This bass has a BIG monster sound, simple as that! Used with my Trace Elliot GP7 this bass has a lot of different tones available, from deep lows to punchy middles and aggressive highs. In fact the high end on this bass has to be heard to be believed - raspy and almost Geddy lee like - fantastic for such a cheap bass! It can easily mimic a Precision and with the combination of the two pickups so much more! Live this bass is like a force of nature exploding - it is the perfect gigging bass in my book. However, care must be taken to tame its aggression at times - as I play a very wide variety of material the sound can be overpowering on some of the gentler stuff! For some reason Peavey basses have a very low profile here in the UK - I picked it up Brand New for a ridiculously cheap price after originally setting out to buy a Fender P bass. The crazy thing is this bass wipes the floor with Mexican fenders and is a match for US models. I love its straight forward good tone - plug it and play it night after night. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass arrived with the perfect set up for me. The action is very low and the neck is extremely comfortable and playable, this bass has a high quality feel! The split pickup needed a little adjusting, everything else however is as it should be. The build quality is rock solid and the finish spot on! In fact for a bass made in China this bass is a phenomenal! The neck/fingerboard has a Vintage finish applied that gives the Maple an old well used look - I love that attention to detail. To have the same combination of Maple/Maple/Tobacco sunburst (my favourite)on a Fender you would have to pay out a substantial ammount of cash on a premium US model. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This bass is very solid and well built - very much like a P bass. It is a workhorse! everything is solid, from the large strap buttons to the tuning pegs and bridge - this beast wont fail you. Simplicity is the key to the design, its a tried and trusted style of bass. I would say that this is the kind of bass that you could gig all night every night and it just wont let you down. Its passive so no electrics to pack in half way through a gig. In fact for almost 25 years I was an ardent user of active basses but I have come full circle now and really prefer passive basses...the sound is just "there" if you know what I mean?? The truss rod has not needed adjusting as of yet as the neck is very stable. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for over 25 yrs, I own two handmade Prometeus Carl Thompson tribute basses - one of which being the famous solid Zebrawood fretless featured on the Prometeus website. All of my three basses go through my tarce Elliot GP7. I have owned Alembic, Wal, Vigier, Musicman, Jaydee, various Fenders, two Rickenbacker basses amongst many others so feel suitably qualified to know what I am talking about when it comes to basses. If this bass was stolen or lost I would definitely buy another - for the money it is quite superb! I love the combination of the solid, simple feel, the excellent playability and the sheer ballsy sound it gives! I compared this bass to various Fenders and was pleasntly surprised when it beat them all hands down. Make no mistake this bass literally steam rolls over Mex Fenders and does everything (maybe more?) than US versions at a fraction of the price. Don't believe me? Go and try one out and be prepared to be blown away. For the money I paid this bass is arguably the best buy of my long career. // 10

Zodiac BXP Reviewed by: Xolair, on august 04, 2010

Price paid: € 247

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: Got mine brand new in May 2010, and it's the black version. Like already has been said, this bass is made in China, it's got 21 frets, a nice slim neck and so on. Body's made out of Alder, sounds and resonates rather well when played acoustically. A twin pickup configuration (PJ) with volume-volume-tone controls is there. I'm especially digging the bridge, which essentially is a copy of a Badass bridge. It also enables a real low action, something which the Gotoh 201 bridge in my other bass (a Squier P) can't achieve. All in all, it's a well-featured bass in my opinion. It also came with an allen key, a wrench to adjust the truss rod and even a 10 feet/3 meter instrument cable. // 9

Sound: I've installed some Rotosound RS77 flatwounds (in the stiffest 50-110 gauge!) onto this bass, and combined with the low, clanky action it's actually quite manageable, although a bit buzzy. Anyway, the sound is well versatile with the two pickups. The P pickup actually nails the Precision tone spot on, actually so that it'd be rather difficult to distinct it from a real P bass. The J pickup is also a great addition, and when combined they create a magnificent PJ tone. When soloed, the J pickup obviously lacks the low end, but on the other hand it has that nasal, bright and jazzy tone going on. Not a real fan of the pots though: when the tone's at 0% it also cuts the volume down. And there's no real fine blending between the two pickups, so hence you could say there's just 3 tones there: a P tone, a J tone and a PJ tone. Better pots MIGHT help, but not really sure on that one. There's something else going on with the electronics as well, not sure if they're even shielded as they are. If they aren't, I'll probably shield em in the future and might drop in some new pups and pots as well. Just wanting to get the most out of this bass. Seymour Duncan and CTS come to mind... // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the bass from Thomann, it wasn't perfect. Even at this price range (which is still rather inexpensive), the bass had some flaws: seems there's a couple of finger prints (?) at the back of the neck, in the lacquer. Or at least some lighter spots. And, there's a slight gash on the side of the J pickup, a small piece that's somehow gotten chewed out. And the pickguard's a little rough from some spots. Of course, these are just cosmetic issues, but be ready to expect possible flaws with this price. Personally, I wasn't that bothered, they don't affect the sound and don't show if you don't specifically go and look for em. Anyway, my bass' setup was decent from the factory, and the overall look black body with a rosewood neck is sweet. Not a real fan of the tortoise pickguard though, might eventually make a custom one to replace that, as getting a bolt-on PG for this bass is easier said than done. The neck is smooth to play with its satin finish in the back, and the slim profile is great too. Very slim compared to my other bass. Also digging the 21 frets and the 3 full octaves they achieve. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Already had some playing experience with this bass, and although I can't rate it from the gig perspective, I can get a rather good view of how the bass is. As it is, it's great. It feels solid, the neck isn't feeble, strap buttons are nice and chunky, and especially the body looks well crafted. Haven't taken out the pickguard to see how the wiring's underneath, but so far it feels like a real solid player. Definetely good enough for home usage and practicing, and possibly even for gigging after checking the electronics. // 8

Overall Impression: When I look at the Peavey as an instrument, I get a lovely overall impression of it. If you're on a budget (like I was again), then this bass is a fine option. This definetely surpasses my Squier on many accounts, the only downsides are the electronics issues and some craftmanship flaws. There naturally are better basses out there but they also cost a lot more. Yet at this price caution is advised, these things still aren't Fender American Standard quality. Even so, if you want a cheap-ish PJ bass that can be a little rough around the edges, yet plays well enough, the Peavey Zodiac BXP is your choice! Think this bass will now keep me happy for a few years to come... then it's Fender American Standard time! // 8

Zodiac BXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2011

Features: 4 string passive bass. Alder body. Maple neck. Rosewood fretboard. 21 frets. 4 in a row butterfly tuners. P style and jazz style pickups. 3 chrome control knobs (neck volume, bridge volume, tone) on a chrome plate. Gloss black finish. Red tortoise shell pick guard. // 9

Sound: Out of the box this is a good sounding bass. Great for finger style, pick and slap and pop. I play mostly rock and metal, this bass is very much up to the task. In practice I use a Roland cube bass 100 and live I use a Warwick profet 5.2 head and 4x10 cab, all I had to do for a kick ass tone was boost the low mids a little. After about 6 or 8 months I felt it needed so help so I fitted Seymour Duncan quarter pound pickups. Now its an absolute animal of a bass! For the rating, 8 is the bass from new. After fitting the duncans its 11! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it the action and neck were perfect. I like a lower action but it was fine. I had to intonate the bass and tighten the output jack but thats easily done. I did find the bass slightly top heavy. Nothing that would put me off playing it. After a year I fitted Hipshot ultralite tuners, problem solved. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a great bass. Never had a problem with sound or anything. I never needed a back up. I fitted Schaller strap locks, just me being over-safe. The finish is still perfect too. The neck joint is rock solid. The bridge is perfect. The truss rod is very easy to get to. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great bass. Great all-rounder for the price of it. Great with solid state and tube amps. Slight hiss from the jazz pickup but you can't hear it while playing. Any modifications were out of personal preferance. If it was stolen I'd probably get another. // 9

Zodiac BXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 09, 2011

Purchased from: redhill music store

Features: 2008. 21 frets PJ config basswood body, rosewood fretboard jazz bass style standard bridge passive bass 2 volume and a tone controls PJ pickups non locking tuners nothing out of the ordinary for a cheap PJ // 7

Sound: I am putting it through a Ashdown small combo (EB180 12 inch). I eq it with low and treble boostes by about 1/10 and middle down by about 2/10 (this is what I use for my Fender so I am nto changing it) sound on split coil is good but the tone after you hear a american Fender next to it sounds muddy, has a lack of tonal clarity. The highs are very nice for a cheap guitar but almost sound digital. 8 because the splits are the best I have tried for 150. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where I get nasty... When it came out of the factory the neck joint was weak and the screws were pulling through, in the end I had to take the nech off and glue hardwood dowl into the place where the screws were, re drill the holes and put it back together. The pickgaurd is almost like warping, but it is ont near heat so not because of heat which is wierd. The split coils, the "split" is getting larger and I can see the wires underneath for no reason. The pots knobs fall off regarless of how tight I screw them, the action is good when I sort out the truss rod and floor the bridge. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Will withstand playing live. The hardware minus pups and pickgaurd will last forever. The strap buttons are excellent, better then my MIA jazz. I would not use it as my main giging bass because the tone is not as good as other basses I own. The finish is hard wearing but aian the neck and pups died. // 4

Overall Impression: This is a good match for when I first started as it is versatile, it still would be very nice if it doesnt't seem like it is going to break soon because of the conrtol cavity killing it. I hjave been playing 1 1/2 - 2 years. I also own Fender AM Special Jazz, 10 watt practise amp, Electrib Blue 180, Boss ME50B, Sony MDR V-6. If it were stolen or lost I would not buy it again as it is nthe same price as a VM squire which I would reather have as my jazz backup. I love its looks, but I hate the way everything isnt clear everything on the guitar feel muffled. I compared it to squire J bass and I got this as it was on an offer and cheaper while bieng more versatile. // 6

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014