Zodiac EX Review

6.7
 7.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Zodiac EX Reviewed by: sfedf1, on december 22, 2010

Purchased from: The Bass Cellar (Denmark Street)

Features: Made in China 'Handcrafted', no idea of the year it was made. Bass guitar with a standard scale length, 20 Jumbo Frets on a bolt-on jazz bass style neck(1.5in at the nut). Rosewood fingerboard with white dot inlays. The finish is black but I think they are also made in sunburst and red. The body is close to the shape of a P-Bass and the pick-guard is a less rounded version of the 50s P pick-guard. It comes with passive electronics and the standard split-P pickups. Pretty basic tone-cut knob and volume knob. The tuners are the regular 'leaf', 4 in a row. These are Peavey-made. This came as part of the 'stage-pack' which included a 126 combo amp, truss rod and height adjustment Allen-keys, a strap, a gig-bag that cracks open and a Peavey tuner. // 7

Sound: Starting bass guitar on this instrument I didn't really understand what everyone was talking about with fret buzz and that stuff. I know now, after playing a badly fretted Epiphone SG bass, that I got lucky with this bad-boy. no buzz to be found. Playing a wide range of rock and improvising quite a lot, this bass is really plug and play. No finding new tones just the one bass tone. I play it through the amp provided and added a Zoom B1 (multi-FX) in the front of the amp. The setup works ok with very little unwanted sound. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box it worked like a charm. The main problem I encountered was that the input jack swiveled a little to much and this in turn caused the bass to shut out completely when the wire broke. This was an easy fix with a change of jack. I have not encountered any more problems. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I have no experience with gigging but I would probably trust it if I did. The tuning stability is pretty good with the bass rarely going out of tune. Apart from the said input jack problem the simplicity of the electronics make them feel like they will last. The strap provided was really hard to get on when it was brand new. This in turn made it impossible to get off which is a very good idea for a beginner. The buttons are good but, as expected, they get loose with time but have never fallen off. // 7

Overall Impression: This is an awesome deal to start playing, after 1 year it still fulfills my needs although I would like to upgrade to something with a less rounded tone(more treble). If it were stolen or lost I would just go buy another bass higher up the line maybe Fender ,another Peavey or Ibanez. I have played only one other bass which was the 250 Epiphone SG. I was really happy with my purchase after seeing how bad a bass could be. What would really have made happy is a J pickup in the bridge so that I could have a little more adaptability. // 7

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014