4001 Review

manufacturer: Rickenbacker date: 01/13/2009 category: Bass Guitars
Rickenbacker: 4001
This is a faithful re-creation of the other bass played by Paul McCartney during The Beatles era. With neck-through construction, it offers great sustain and tone.
 8.8
 8.5
reviews (2) 33 comments vote for this gear:
4001 Reviewed by: ironmaidenrulez, on april 11, 2006

Features: This Rickenbacker 001 has a laminated top, and a mahogany neck. The finish is transaparent. Passive electronics. There are 2 controls, I got the bass control and a volume control. It has 20 or 21 frets. It is the most stable instrument I have ever seen. You can literally tune it, put it in the case, carry it around, come back in a couple of weeks and it is still in tune. Nothing fazes it. // 9

Sound: I put the traditional Roto-sound round wounds on it now to get the famous Ric "growl" on the low E string. People critize the Ric for non-versatility, but I've not found that not to be true. Unfortunately, the single coils can be noisy. When I sometimes play stuff like jazz or things, I had to be careful, the hum can get annoying. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the Ric is the best on any bass I have every played. This has been pretty well borne out by everyone who has ever played it. I have had trouble with rust on the screws holding down the hardware, but the bass is thirty years old, I don't know if that is common or not. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The only odd thing was that the pickups faded into nothingness over the last 5-10 years. I recently replaced them with stock Rickenbackers and everything is OK. The magnets had gone weak. I think the stock pickups were a little pricy though. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said my dad has been playing almost 25 years and has played in many a band, including Dennis Stratton's. This Bass guitar is very good. If this bass ever got broke or stolen, I would get another. I love how easy it plays, it has no deceit it it. It does exactly what you ask it to. There is nothing I hate about it. My favorite feature is the neck and the action. // 9

4001 Reviewed by: CptRevell, on january 13, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This particular model was purchased used from Ebay about 2 months ago. It was made in 1976 in the US, and was originally a white color, but it has faded to a rather creamy-white. Like any other Rickenbacker bass, it has 20 frets and a nice thin and fast neck. What can I say, it looks and sounds like a Rickenbacker, a dang good one at that. It came with the original hardcase which wasn't much for looks but it does it's job well. // 9

Sound: As far as sound goes, I have gotten pretty much any sort of tone I could want. The overall sound is a really punchy-kinda trebley sound, I really have to turn the bass up to get some low end, but the Rick handles this with no problems. One band I was auditioning for (a modern rock sounding band, think Staind/Creed) was tuned down to C#, and this bass was not really too good that low. In Drop-D and standard however, this bass is tops. Absolutely sweet sound, with very minimal hum for the age of the pickups. The pickup Switch is only somewhat useful with the mono-jack, and can be used to create some of the later Beatles sounds well. Overall a really good jack-of-all trades, except for perhaps really low tuning music as it currently is set up. I have a 1973 Ampeg B25B, and can get great Vintage tones out of it. I'm currently looking for a Ric-O-Sound, so if anyone knows where I can get one, it would be appreciated. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it, the strings were set really high, but this is on the previous owner and the bass itself. Other than that, the playing was good. The finish is the only downgrade here, with some pretty heavy paint chipping, especially near the jacks. There are some other minor dents and cracking, but otherwise in great shape for being 33 years old. The pickup switch sometimes gets stuck as well, but a good cleaning would fix this up nicely. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands Live playing well, and looks like it has seen some playing in it's time. I play in a big church band in the county, and have played this bass every Sunday since the week I got it, and the bass performs great each and every Sunday. Once I figured out a good EQ, it's just plug and play now. The bass has survived, like I said before, for over 30 years, and the hardware has no rust or other blemishes, just some scratching, and still performs great. The finish is cracking, as stated before, but this is just a cosmetic issue. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this bass. I tend to play more bluesy and classic rock sounding bass, with the occasional slapping, and it performs well at all of this. I have been playing for around 7 years now, and this is the best bass I have played/owned (I also have a Fender Jazz MIM and a Gibson Victory). The cosmetic issues are not a big deal to me, since the bass plays great, and I think it adds some character to the bass. My favorite on this is a tie between the neck (thin and fast) and the tone (punchy and clean). For the trite question on stealing, I would get another Rick to replace it, assuming I could afford another (which is unlikely). // 10

More Rickenbacker reviews rating category latest review
+ 4003 9.4 Bass Guitars 03/26/2014