LX200BF Review

manufacturer: Rogue date: 12/04/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Rogue: LX200BF
The Rogue LX200BF Fretless 4-String Bass features an extended maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, covered traditional-style split and single-coil pickups, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, die-cast machine heads, and black hardware. Rogue priced the LX200BF bass to make it easy to add a fretless to your arsenal.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 Features: 7.5
 5.6
 4.1
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
LX200BF Reviewed by: noahray, on may 29, 2006

Features: The body is hardtop, with your choice of finish. The one I bought was "pearl black," but in reality had a very pansy sparkly finish. The neck is apparently rosewood but without frets it feels very weird, much like plastic. It has a split as well as single coil pickup, both of which are very weak and should be replaced if you intend to use this as a serious instrument. There is a tone and volume knob for each pickup, but the pickups are so weak it doesn't matter which you use. Came with no accessories, but in time I have picked up some Fender Flats as well as DiMarzio DP126 pickups, which make a hell of a difference. // 6

Sound: Stock, this bass is pretty worthless. For a fretless, the sound wasn't much different than a normal fretted. I tried to play some fretless material, i.e. Pearl Jam, some Pink Floyd, whatever Jaco I could muster, but it all sounded worse than on a fretted Fender J bass. I attributed it all to the pickups, which just didn't give the fretless bass justice. I don't even know what they were, but I stick some DiMarzio DP126 pickups from the same website on there and it sounded 100 times better, much louder, more tonal, and clearer. As for variety, it all sounds the same, but thats why you buy it. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box, it was a nightmare. I'm surprised the neck didn't snap in the box from having the action almost as high as possible. The intunation was a nightmare, I won't even go there. The guitar was pretty polished and scratch free, though, I have to give them that. I would rather have had it play nice and look bad, though. The tuning pegs were a little loose, other minor annoying things. Also, the finish smudges very easily and fingerprints are quite visible, making this bass seem constantly filthy and cheap. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would not have withstood diddly squat without being spruced up. The hardware was the crappiest I have yet to experience on any guitar. I would not have used it in a gig before I got new pickups and modified the guitar. // 5

Overall Impression: I was going to use this bass to play in my school Jazz band but I ended up scratching that idea when I got it. I own a P-Bass, which is the most reliable instrument known to man; in my opinion it is the epitome of all electric basses. All in all, I bought the bass for 129$ and ended up putting about 100$ of work into it, not counting replacing the factory strings. I would not buy another one, ever, unless it was for someone else Who would have to deal with it. I bought it soley for the price, which was a very bad decision. I got exactly what I paid for. I wish someone would have warned me. // 3

LX200BF Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 04, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I've owned this bass for a little over 6 years now and was my first fretless bass. I got it in the black finish super cheap as a b-stock from Musicians Friend. The only flaw was a permanent black mark on the top of the neck (by where the fret marker should be at the 3rd fret)... which was fine with me because I will be the only one to see it. The fretted version has 24-frets. The neck is made from maple, with a roseboard fretboard. It features passive P- and J-style pickup configuration, with 2 volumes and 2 tones. // 9

Sound: I bought this bass when I was in high school at the persuasion of my jazz band teacher. I played on my Genz Benz combo and the school's Ampeg SVT and the bass sounded great on both. You can get many different sounds out of this bass. I would typically boost the mids and use the fretless sound to cut through the band very well. For being a brand that few people recommend, and for being under $100, I absolutely love this bass and I still own it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfect from the factory, with the exception of the black mark mentioned earlier. The action is really nice and the fretboard is nice and smooth. However, the strings mark up the fretboard quite a bit, so you have to clean it when you change strings. Since this is my first and only fretless bass, I'm not sure if this is typical. The tuners are arranged in 2+2 fashion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very reliable, and the hardware is very durable. The strap buttons are very reliable from the factory but were replaced with straplocks. I have used this bass many times without a backup with absolutely no problems. The finish is just as good today as when I bought it about 6 years ago. For the price, this bass has lasted at least 5 years longer than I thought it would when I bought it! // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, I used this bass mainly when I was in jazz band. But I have used it a couple times to record parts of songs. You just can't beat the sound of a fretless bass. I have owned many other basses, but for the price, I would definitely recommend this one. If it were lost when I was in high school, I would definitely buy another one. Since I don't play jazz much anymore, I don't know if I would replace it today. I have no complaints about this bass, maybe an on-board EQ? That the only upgrade I would make. // 10

More Rogue reviews rating category latest review
+ Analog Chorus 7.3 Guitar Effects 02/03/2014