LX400 Pro Review

manufacturer: Rogue date: 07/11/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Rogue: LX400 Pro
The LX400 Pro earns the "Pro" in its name. It has the looks, the finish work, hardware, electronics, and feel that beautifully meet the standards of even more advanced players.
 8.3
 9.6
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
LX400 Pro Reviewed by: zacky gates, on july 11, 2007

Features: I know what you're thinking. How good can a cheap $180 Rogue bass be? Well, I invite you to disregard those thoughts, because this one's WAY different. Ok, so, it's Korean made, 24 frets on an Indian Rosewood fretboard with abalone position markers, 6-bolt maple neck, basswood body, quilted sunburst finish, active/passive electronics (push/pull volume, treble, bass, pickup knob). It has one single coil pickup and one MM style humbucker. It has very sturdy tuners and a hunk of a bridge that can be strung either through the body or through the bridge. Incredible features for the price. // 10

Sound: I am running this bass through an acoustic guitar amp and the sound I get out of the active pickups is still breathtaking. I can get anything from a smooth deep bass sound out of it to the edgy growl for rock. It is a very versatile bass. Harmonics sound great on this bass. It does not hum at all when using the single coil pickup which nice. The volume knob is a push/pull, so you can go from active to passive just in case your battery fails in the middle of a gig. Overall, great sounding. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a tad low when I received it, but it was easily fixable with the included wrench. The neck is perfectly straight The intonation was way off on the A string, but I fixed it and it is spot on now. The pickups, however, were not adjusted properly. They were kind of loose and were at weird angles but, again, it wasn't hard to fix. There are no flaws in the finish, it looks great. I opened up the cavity in the back for the electronics, and everything was put together nicely. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This bass is built like a tank. I've already whacked the headstock pretty hard into the wall a few times already and there's not a scratch on it. It didn't even go out of tune. The strap buttons are very sturdy which is a plus. You can definitely depend on this bass for a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: This was my first bass, although I have played guitar for quite a few years, and wanted to try out the bass. I've played Fenders, Warwicks, and everything in between. This bass is right up there with the rest of 'em. I would have paid up to 3 times as much for a bass like this. It was a friggin steal at Musician's Friend. If it was stolen from me, I would replace it with another one in a heartbeat. Do yourself a favor and go buy this beauty. // 10

More Rogue reviews rating category latest review
+ Analog Chorus 7.3 Guitar Effects 02/03/2014