LX405 Pro Review

9.8
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
LX405 Pro Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 10, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Just bought this bass about 6 months ago. It has 24 frets, basswood body, with a quilted maple top. I got the red finish and I absolutely love the color. It has a single coil pickup as well as a humbucking pickup. The knobs control the volume, blend, bass boost/cut, and treble boost/cut. My favorite thing about this bass is the fact that the active system can be bypassed by using the pull-out volume knob. This comes in real handy when your battery dies during a set. Tuners on the 5-string are arrange 3 on top, 2 on bottom. // 9

Sound: I bought this bass when I joined a rock band 6 months ago, I have since started another band and we are covering a lot of punk. This bass fits well in either genre. I'm not a big fan of bass effects, but I've used this bass with my Genz Benz ML 210 and my friend's Ampeg SVT. Sounds great through both. The EQ is great on this bass and you can get very punchy mids, booming lows, and great highs by just adjusting the knobs. The only complaint I have about the sound, is the popping noise that you get when you use the pull-out volume knob to change between active and passive. I guess it's not something you should be doing a lot of during a set, but it'll scare you the first couple of times. Based on reviews I've read elsewhere, this is a common problem with these basses. A very minimal problem in my opinion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action came setup very nice from the factory. No flaws in the finish whatsoever... and the red quilted maple finish looks great. This bass also comes with a graphite nut. The only flaw, as a mentioned above, was with the pull-out volume knob making a popping noise when you go back and forth from passive and active. There are many different finish options for this bass, and it's also available in 4 and 6-string versions. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've yet to use this bass for anything but practice, but the hardware seem durable enough to stand up to gigging full time. Replaced the strap buttons with straplocks, but they were fine from the factory. I would definitely use this without a backup, especially since you don't have to worry about your battery dying, just flip it to passive and keep right on playing. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect bass for rock and punk, but I don't see any reason, based on the versatility of this bass, that you wouldn't be able to use it for any genre under the sun. If something were to happen to this bass, I would definitely buy another, especially at this price. The only thing I would change would be to make the pull-out volume knob a little more noiseless. // 10

More Rogue reviews rating category latest review
+ Analog Chorus 7.3 Guitar Effects 02/03/2014