SX100B Review

manufacturer: Rogue date: 11/23/2009 category: Bass Guitars
Rogue: SX100B
This little axe features a smaller, lighter body that shoulders everywhere will appreciate. It has a bolt-on, 34"-scale maple neck (4 bolts) with a rosewood fretboard and dot inlays.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 4.8
 Features: 4.3
 4.6
 4.7
 4.5
reviews (4) 8 comments vote for this gear:
SX100B Reviewed by: TomRocksTheBass, on march 29, 2007

Features: This is a small, light bodied bass with a fat neck that has 24 frets. The neck has a maple neck with rosewood fretboard and has a total scale of 34". This bass comes in 3 different colors; black, red, and blue. It has a high gloss finish that really sucks, it looks like crap after a few plays due to fingerprints.There is two controls on this bass which are volume and tone controls and the tone control sucks and hardly even works. There is only on split-coil pickup. The only accesories that this bass come with are 2 allen wrenches. // 6

Sound: This bass is definatley for beginners, the sound isn't all that good and I have used quite a few different amps with it; Line 6 Spider III 75W Combo, Drive 200B Bass Combo, and some type of First Act amp. I had broken the D string like 2 or 3 months after I got it and I've tried different brands and types of srings with it and the sound still sucks. I just use this as a practice bass now. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass wasn't put together very well at all and around the same time the D string Busted the cable jack wires got disconnected because there was barely any solder to hold onto the wires. The pickups were not at a perfect level because one was higher than the other (one half of the split coil was higher than the other). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I played with a band for a while and the bass comepletely sucks and I would not recommend using on a gig due to all the problems it has. So the reliability and durability of this bass is not good at all, I don't trust the features or playability of this bass. // 5

Overall Impression: When I played with the band and I am just practicing I usually play metal or light rock, etc. I have been playing bass for like 2 years and I also own a Dean Edge Bass. If it got stolen or lost, I wouldn't care. My overall impression of this bass is pretty much; "Why the hell do I own this piece of crap?" // 6

SX100B Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2005

Features: I dunno what year it is, but it's american. 24 frets (probably it's only good feature) on a fat neck. Rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. Alder body. Solid black finish. Standard body type. Standard style-bridge. Passive electronics. Volume-tone controls (tone doesn't work). Split-coil humbucker pickups. Standard bass tuners, non locking, no accessories. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: I can sum it up in one word: crap! // 2

Reliability & Durability: I do play very heavy on it and it is light. The hardware, strap buttons, etc, suck, but I've dropped it many times, and it can hold up to some heavy playing. I've covered it in stickers so I dunno if the finish is wearing off or not. // 6

Overall Impression: Punk, rock, and metal, this is the kinda bass you'd buy just to break, it sucks. // 2

SX100B Reviewed by: punkbass479, on september 05, 2005

Features: On paper this looks like a lightweight P-Bass, boy I wish I got a P-Bass. The neck has 24 frets and it's very fat. The body is lightweight and somewhat durable. The price was why I bought it. I'd only reccomend it to someone on a very tight budget. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: It all sucks, the strap-buttons wouldnt hold anything. The split coil pickup usually is a thumping deep tone, but this one was empty and souless. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I do have to admit, of all the times I dropped it, it held up ok but I'd never gig with it. If that was the only bass I had at the time, I'd cancel the gig and get a new one. // 4

Overall Impression: I play emo, punk, metal, anything like that. This is sorta like a P-Bass, which is a good match for what I play. Anyway, this sucks, just save yourself the trouble, and don't buy it. If your looking for a first bass, just get a Squier P-Bass or an Ibanez. Anything but this! // 2

SX100B Reviewed by: thr33mann, on november 23, 2009

Purchased from: pawn shop

Features: A slightly flat C shape 34" scale maple neck, with a 24 fret rosewood fingerboard. Body was made of alder with a metallic red sparkle paint job. The body screams '60s P-Bass without the pickguard. it has a simple volume and tone knob for the stock split style pickup. // 7

Sound: Because it is reminiscent of a Vintage sounding Fender Precision the bass, it works perfectly in any rock setting, keeping a nice punchy low end without really getting mixed up or bogged down by the guitar players. It's split pickup is kind of thin sounding with a clean tone, a nice overdriven or distorted sound will really give it the strength it needs. With my model, I found it had a very good tone for hard rock or punk but not so much for metal, and it also had problems with down tuning; it could only go down one whole step before sounding rather blubbery. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass really reminded me of an old Fender Precision I used to have, the pickup wires were set properly, the neck was straight the fretboard had no flaws (until I attacked it with a can of paint) and none of the screws in the neck or bridge were out of place. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this bass for playing live shows and it defintitely can last, it has the durability of an old Fender for sure. I've had this for almost 3 years and the hardware still shines, and no faults in the neck, straplocks, tuners, bridge, or pickups have occurred. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in 4 bands, an alternative rock band, a black metal band, a thrash metal band and a psychobilly band. And I use this for all of them except the doom metal band. The basses pickup sounds much better with a distorted or overdriven tone. I ran my bass through a Boss ODB overdrive pedal into an Ibanez soundwave bass amp, which is my main rig through all of my bands except the black metal band. Overall, for a cheap bass I got from a pawn shop, it really did impress me enough. // 9

More Rogue reviews rating category latest review
+ Analog Chorus 7.3 Guitar Effects 02/03/2014