Fairlane Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 11/24/2010 category: Bass Guitars
Samick: Fairlane
The "Greg Bennett" designed Fairlane series of solid body basses features 22 frets with a 34" Scale. It also features a high tech quilt top, bolt on neck, JJ pickups, Die Cast tuners and chrome hardware.
 Features: 8.5
 7.6
 8.3
 6.8
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Fairlane Reviewed by: Dashboard89, on march 28, 2005

Features: This Samick Greg Bennet series Fairlane bass guitar was made in 2000 in Korea. It features 22 jumbo frets on a 34" a rosewood fingerboard and an alder body. This bass features an offset body that became famous in the early sixties, which gives it an edgier look while keeping a good visual and physical balance. This bass has fined tuned active electronics that allow you to dial in your signature tone quickly. This bass has two controls. One of these controls is volume and the other is tone. This bass included a gig bag, stap, picks, and a 10' patch cord, which was included by the music dealer and not Samick. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this bass it had been used by some one that thought they were going to get into it but never invested the time into learning. When I got the bass it was missing the tone knob (which I replaced with one I got from Samick expecially made for this bass) and the low 'E' tunning peg was broken off, which I ended up replacing all of them after not being able to find a match. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been through three live shows and it does really well live and I've even dropped it on stage and I was able to pick it up and keep playing. The hardware seems like it will last, but the previous owners have abused it (i.e. the missing knob, and the tuning peg), but once I fixed it, it seems like it can withstand anything. I currently use this bass on stage with a backup, but I only bring the back up in the event that I break a string or something. I'm using a Squier P-Bass for a backup. I play this bass approx. 20 hours a week and the finish has withstood all of it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a wide range of music from jazz band during school to pop punk shows every friday and some Saturdays. This bass is the most versitale bass I've ever played. I've been playing bass for 2 years. I own a Squier P-Bass and a SWR 4004 Head and 4x10T stack. I wish I would have asked about this brand of bass before buying my Squier, but at the time Fender was the only name I had been comfortable with. If this bass were lost or stolen I probably would get another Samick, whether or not I'd get the Greg Bennet Fairlane or not is undecided, but I definately would consider it. This bass has an amazing tone quality for it's price or any price. It has a bolt-on neck which makes the fret easy to move up and down on. The body is small enough that it doesn't get too heavy and bulky on stage and the neck is supper light. I don't really like the neck style with two tuners on each side, whereas I perfer all 4 tuners on one side, but the other features make up for this. I compared this bass to serval others. One of which is the Fender P-Bass. I was impressed with the Fender P-Bass, but had a hard time figuring out how it would be worth the cost. This bass was a good price and it has an awesome tone. As mentioned before, I wish this bass had all four tuners on one side of the neck. // 10

Fairlane Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2010

Purchased from: Furtados. India

Features: I bought this Samick GregBennett from Furtados, India for two main reasons: I wanted to learn to play 5-string and I got it really cheap at $300 (The price on the website and elsewhere is around $460). A little on the heavy side, but not heavier than those monstrous neck and back-breaking Gibson basses, this 5-string bass was made in China/Korea (not sure which) in 2009. It has a 22-fret, 34-inch scale and has a fast rosewood fingerboard. It has a double cutaway maple body and an extended bolt-on thin neck with a beautiful quilt top and has two active single coil pick-ups (neck and bridge). It has 4 chrome control knobs: Volume, Bass, Mid and Treble. And, it really looks good. Die Cast knobs which never go out of tune and came with a gig bag, strap, tools (Allen key, cleaner liquid) and a 10ft. Warwick cable (mostly stuff I convinced the salesman to throw in). // 9

Sound: I mostly play Rock, Jazz, Blues and a little bit of Metal and this versatile baby suits all of it. Awesome sustain, great overall tone and the fast neck allows for easy playability. I obviously had a little difficulty switching from 4 to 5 string, but the thin neck was easy to get used to. A little bit of fine tuning on the knobs and on my Laney RB10 amp gives me any tone I want: from a low growl, a smooth bassy tone to a nice slappy treble-heavy sound for Funk which I'm learning to play. The pickups have almost no hum to them and give you lots of sound when you need it. The bass is really versatile and so far I don't have any complaints whatsoever. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't meddled with anything on the bass as it was really set up very nicely from the factory. Pickups are a little higher than I would like and my pick tends to scratch against them. The bridge and top were perfect and I haven't really had much to complain about except the pickups' height. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have a Fender California Jazz and I bought this one because I wanted to learn 5 string. The hardware is pretty basic, and I will change it in the future, but it will last. I'd definitely use this for gigs and from the few times I have played with it onstage, I know that it won't let you down. I would like strap-locks but the buttons are solid and if you don't jump around too much, they'll hold on. The finish is good and though it's only been 6 months that I've had it, I can tell that it will last if you don't throw it around and maintain it regularly. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for 5 years and the bass for about 18 months and I learned to play on a Fender Squire California Jazz bass. This bass comes very close to the kind of sound I'd expect from a much more expensive bass. If it were stolen or lost (God forbid!), I'd buy it again, even if I had to buy it at the store price of $450-something. Before buying, I'd compared it to my bass (obviously), some ESP, Fender and Ibanez basses - all 4-string - but this one stole my heart with the variety of sounds I could get out of it. Most people tend to ignore Samick guitars and basses, but I must say they make really good gear at almost half the prices of other brands. If this bass were a product of Ibanez or Fender I swear I wouldn't have got it below $550 at any rate. The only things I wish it had were strap-locks and humbuckers but that's just me being greedy. I'd recommend anyone this bass if they want to Switch from 4 to 5 string as it's really cheap, easy to learn and gives a nice clean sound.. I'd say it's a steal for it's price. // 9

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ JTR Linda LN30 9 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014