Diamond Series Elite-5 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 05/25/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Schecter: Diamond Series Elite-5
This is a pretty good bass for pretty much any style of music. I can get quite a good variety of sounds out of it, ranging from low and crunchy sounds, to smooth, more melodic and ambient sounds.
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Diamond Series Elite-5 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2012

Purchased from: CR:8 Exchange

Features: I got this bass second hand, so I'm not totally sure of all the details of when and where it was made or what it's made of etc. But damn, this thing... It has a laminated top with a curly maple design. It has a split bridge (Schecters own S-Tek I believe), passive electronics and has 4 control knobs, for volume, tone, pickup selection and blend. The stock bass comes with two EMG 40HZ's, which are beautiful pieces of technology. The tuners are basic non-locking ones. // 8

Sound: This is a pretty good bass for pretty much any style of music. I'm mostly an old school metal kinda dude myself, so that's what I'm usually playing and it sounds pretty damn fine for that and most styles of metal, even if it doesn't particularly look the part. It does great for older rock and funk too. Although I can't say I excel at playing funk, but a friend of mines has been able to blast out some nice little grooves on it. I use a "Line 6 LowDown LD15 15 Watt Bass Combo Amp" which has a few nice little effects on it and it sounds very smooth through it. It has a very bright, punchy sound, unlike any other bass I've played. I can get quite a good variety of sounds out of it, ranging from low and crunchy sounds, to smooth, more melodic and ambient sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, I got it second-hand, so I can't say how it was from the factory, but when I got it, it was in pretty great condition. Action is at a lovely low level. I still haven't been able to work out why the guy was selling it and for so cheap. It had very minor scratches on it, which doesn't really bother me. The tuners, knobs and bridge are a little scratched and the gold paint on the hardware is quite faded, but it can all be easily replaced anyway. Everything else was in tip-top condition. Pickups are prominent and safely in place. My only real trouble is the little washer nut thingy that holds the input socket in place comes loose quite often, but I just need to find the right sized tool to tighten it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'm more than certain that this bass can handle playing live. I'm sure I could use it without a backup, but that's a little too irresponsible for my liking. You never know what might happen. I've never had a problem with it. The hardware is pretty solid and I have no doubt that it's going to last. The strap buttons are okay, but I'd like to get them replaced with something a little more reliable. The finish seems like it's there to stay and certainly won't fade easily. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, I use it for mostly metal, more thrash and black than anything else. It works pretty well for both of them, as well as many other types of music. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, so I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say this is a very smart investment for any bass player. There's plenty of features I love about this thing. It's a neck through design, so it has some pretty fantastic natural sustain to it, which I'd never really experienced with another bass. It also came with some absolutely gorgeous, handmade, flatwound strings, which are totally unlike anything I've played before. The only thing I'm not a massive fan of is the look of the whole thing. It's not really my style of guitar. I'm more of a BC Rich, ESP kinda person. But never-the-less, it plays beautiful and I'm glad I made the choice to get it. I highly recommend it for anyone. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ C-1 Blackjack ATX FR 9.2 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014