Raiden Special-4 Review

Schecter: Raiden Special-4
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Raiden Special-4 Reviewed by: tmr4891, on may 19, 2014

Features: - 6 bolt on neck construction
- Basswood body with quilted maple top
- Maple neck
- 34" scale
- Rosewood fingerboard
- 24 X-jumbo frets
- Mother-of-pearl dot inlays
- Schecter SuperRock bass pickups
- Controls: Volume/Volume/Tone (Push-Pull)
- Bridge: Diamond deluxe with string-thrubody (or 'top load')
- Schecter tuners
- Black chrome hardware
- Black cherry finish

The pickups on this bass are jazz bass pickups stacked on top of each other to make a humbucker. That's one of the main reasons I got it, but more on that later. The hardware is very nice, and feels as solid as any other instrument I've owned. Passive electronics, with no pickup selector switch. Just the two volume and one tone/split knobs. The knobs are tele style, and add a nice accent to the guitar. That said, this is my first bass that I've actually owned. I've played around with a few here and there for kicks, but my background on it is mostly based on other basses I've heard. // 8

Sound: These pickups have a lot of range, which was important to me because it's my first bass, and I really wanted something I could use to explore the world of bass as thoroughly as possible, as my bass style is still forming. I can make the thing devastating and loud, or articulate and smooth. The humbucker quality of the pickups makes noise a non issue. The odd construction of the pickups, which I haven't seen elsewhere, are also part of the appeal for me. I like unique things, and these pickups are definitely that.

I really wasn't sure how I was going to take to bass, having been a guitarist for many years, but this guitar has the sound to make getting into it a pleasure. For sound, this sucker is excellent in my book. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure how basses are typically set up, action or otherwise, but I have no issues with it. Bass is definitely a lot more of a challenge than regular guitar, but I anticipated that. This bass plays pretty well, with moderate action and great sustain. The guitar itself is inviting to play, and the look of it is very nice. Kind of a super strat kind of body, with what I'd consider an awesome finish. The woodworking altogether is great, with the only flaw being a small chip in the headstock, which is why I got such a heavy discount on it. I may well just leave it too, only other consideration is sharpy or nail polish it in, but that's really not the part that draws the eye. The liquid smooth finish on the body is. Other than that there were no flaws to report. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing seems made for live playing, and I wouldn't be afraid to leave this at my bedside in place of a baseball bat in case of intrusion. It's definitely one of the more solid feeling instruments I've laid hands on in general, and the six bolt on neck, which I was originally a little concerned about, is solid as a rock. The hardware is also very sturdy, and seems like it could last a hundred years. While that is probably an exaggeration, in a hundred years, with this thing still with the stock hardware, I'll have this review to point to and say I told you so. I do count on it to last, and after playing around with it for a few months, I've got no reason to doubt this guitar.

The finish, as previously mentioned, is liquid smooth and laid on thick. I really like the texture of the paint job, and how it contrasts with the hardware. I'd have to say I'd use it without a backup because I do, and I don't anticipate any major issues in the near future. I'm sure eventually I'll have to do fretwork or something on it. Push/pulls seem to wear down over time. But all in all, this thing is set for the long haul, and I tend to do work on all my instruments. This one just doesn't need it. // 10

Overall Impression: My style on bass is still in the works, and I'm dabbling with anything that draws my ear, from the more melodic metal, to the lightest parts of the grunge era, to classic rock, and back again to anything modern I an tolerate. So far I haven't had any issues with making this bass do what I want it to. I've played guitar for 11 years, and have only just started playing bass, and I was hesitant to even bother, considering how different the instrument is in tonality and playing method. After getting this I stopped worrying. It's an inviting instrument to play and the sound is both diverse and defined.

I've got 4 guitars currently, and have had several others in the past, and this one gets every bit as much attention as the rest. If this were lost, I'd replace it, if it were stolen, I'd go hunting, and I'd definitely want the same instrument. I was, for a while, considering a squier bass vi, and in all honesty, I still am, because that's another great unique instrument I have every intention of making friends with eventually. I'm glad I went with a traditional bass though, really taught me a thing or two about what it means to play bass, after years of the usual guitarist mentality towards it. Truly a compelling instrument, and I'm very sure I made the right decision for me with this bass. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014