Raiden Special-5 Review

7.6
 8.2
review (1) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Raiden Special-5 Reviewed by: mrsixstrings12, on february 16, 2012

Features: If I'm correct, this is a newer model bass and Schecter has done a heck of a job with it. 24 X-Jumbo frets, basswood body w/ quilted maple top, maple bolt on neck with rosewood fretboard, Schecter SuperRock bass pickups with coil tap. It has a volume for each pickup and a tone know which is also the coil split too. // 7

Sound: After my Ibanez SR405 crapped out, I needed a new bass. Preferably with singlecoils. I wasn't gonna spend $1000 on an American Jazz Bass and guitar center of course didn't have any Fender 5 strings anyways (didn't have time to wait for an order either). I played a Squier Jazz Bass, a few other Schecters, another Ibanez, and then this caught my eye. Plugged it into an Acoustic halfstack and it sounded pretty dang good! I play in a rock band which is why I wanted a jazz bass and this thing can do the jazz bass sound due to the coil tap! But when we play covers and we need that extra thick bass, I take off the coil tap and viola, nice deep bass. I love the sound of this over my friends Schecter Stiletto which is almost double the price. don't expect the sound of a 1970s Fender Jazz Bass though. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The only reason it didn't get a 10 is because the pick-ups were WAYYY too high. The strings kept hitting them and would make a very loud popping noise. Lowered them and now everything is fine. Stays in tune, very nice action, everything was nice and tight. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played about 5 or 6 shows with this bass and it does awesome. I've had 0 problems with it so far. I'd play a show without a backup (but of course I'm not stupid and always have one just in case). // 10

Overall Impression: Overall its an awesome bass for the price. The coil tap is what really does it for me. It can be played with a wide variety of music whether its metal or blues. Its very easy to play and if something happened to it and I couldn't get a Fender Jazz, I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat. // 8

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Omen-7 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/21/2013