Stiletto Custom-4 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 03/28/2013 category: Bass Guitars
Schecter: Stiletto Custom-4
Upgraded hardware and appointments! Same basic design and construction as the Stiletto Deluxe, but with EMG HZ pickups, a massive S-TEK bridge, active electronics (12dB bass/treble cut/boost), diamond fretboard inlays, and black hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.1
reviews (3) pictures (3) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Stiletto Custom-4 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Easily one of the best musical I've ever bought. The Stiletto Custom 4 has 24 Jumbo frets, on a 34" scale neck. The neck is a Bolt-On, but with 6 bolts, not the standard 4. This ensures a much more stable neck, which plays and feels amazing. I have the Natural finish with Satin Gold hardware. The body is mahogany with flamed maple top; looks and sounds beautiful. The Stiletto custom has an S-Tek bridge, which is simple to use when replacing strings, and an incredibly sturdy bridge. It has a Volume, Blend and a 12db active EQ, allowing a Bass & Treble cut or boost. This guitar comes standard with EMG-HZ pickups, which require the use of a battery, but sound absolutely massive. They are very versatile pickups, with the option to be moulded for almost any music style. // 10

Sound: I Play metal music mainly, in a band called Valour (www.myspace.com/valour05), and we have a sound like a darker, heavier Avenged Sevenfold. For this, I required a bass with a thin, fast neck for the speed of some of the riffs, with fat punchy low end, and smooth top end. This bass delivered all that and more. With the quality of the pickups smacking you right in the face, you haven't heard anything until you plug this monster into a 400W Half Stack, the sound absolutely rips through walls. The Active EQ allows you to produce so many different sounds with this bass, which is what really sells it for me. The only problem I encountered was earthing, which I will explain in more detail in the Action, Fit & Finish section. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There was only one flaw with this bass, and it had something to do with the setup of the wiring under the battery back panel. When I first plugged the bass into my practise amp, there was a faint crackling sound, I couldn'tcntrol knob, and the crackling became very loud, very consistent, and the sound of the bass was horrid. However, after playing the bass for a few minutes this crackling disappeared, just to start again when I next picked up my instrument. I took it to a music shop for the guitar technicians to have a look at, and it turned out that a wire was simply unearthed. However, that said, there was absolutely nothing else wrong with this bass, it came standard with D'Addario XL strings, which deliver a fantastic tone, and the intonation is perfect, along with the action, and overall feel of the guitar. It is a guitar which is Set up to play in the USA, so you cannot compromise with the quality. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Being in a band, my instruments have to be sturdy, reliable, great sounding and comfortable. The Stiletto Custom 3 delivers everything. I never have to have a backup bass for gigs, because this simply is all I need. I'm only slightly worried that over time, the Hardware's Satin Gold finish may start to tarnish, however there is no sign of that at all as of yet. The strap buttons are secure, and can withstand even the most energetic of gigs, not once has my strap ever slipped off, and not once has a strap button ever come loose. Due to the natural finish the wood is prone to being scratched and dented perhaps more easily than a guitar with a lacquered finish, but by taking care of the instrument, this is easily avoided. Simply the most reliable guitar I have ever purchased. // 10

Overall Impression: For the Metal/Hard Rock music I play, I could not ask for a better sounding bass. I have played many different basses, ranging between 400 and 1500, and belive it or not, this is the best quality I have played and owned. Take it from me; you DON'T need to splash out a fortune for a top quality instrument, Schecter really have outdone themselves with this guitar, and everything about it is simply amazing. Also, don't be fooled into thinking that this bass is simply for metal and rock music. I am also a fan of Blues, Alternative, Progressive, and this bass delivers everytime. I can tune this bass down to Drop A, and it still manages to retain the clarity of every note. This really is the most versatile instrument I have ever owned, and the tuning is surprisingly stable. A definite Must-Buy. If you have any questions, or would like to hear some clips of the bass, feel free to e-mail me, or add me on MSN on: himynameistoby@hotmail.co.uk // 10

Stiletto Custom-4 Reviewed by: aprilfool2112, on february 05, 2008

Features: I bought my Schecter late in 2006. It is a 2006 model made in Korea. It has a 24-fret, bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, attached to a mahogany body with a beautiful flame maple top. The bass originally had a satin finish, but over time it became glossy in areas where it rubbed against things, like my shirt. It has passive EMG-Hz humbuckers with an EMG 2-band EQ; the controls are volume, pickup blend, bass, and treble. The tuners and bridge are both built well, and all the hardware has a satin gold finish to it, which looks very nice, but tends to rub off over time. The look is what drew me to this bass originally. // 9

Stiletto Custom-4 Reviewed by: HalfMoonBay98, on march 28, 2013

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Killeen, TX

Features: I don't know what year it was made, I bought it used at Guitar Center. It's a 24- fret bass, the neck is slim and sleek and it's a 6 bolt on. The body Mahogany with a Satin Gold, or natural finish with the Stiletto style body. It has EMG-35HZ active pickups with master volume, master blend, EMG Active 2 band equalizer controls. It has the Schecter S-Tek bridge and very nice quality tuners, and it is 34". The neck wood is multi-laminate maple and walnut. The fretboard is rosewood with offset inlays. // 9

Sound: My music style is mostly rock/punk, and this bass fits the bill very well. It handles Dropped C nicely, along with other tunings. I use a Line 6 Low Down amp with a DigiTech BP90 multi-effects pedal with my Schecter. If you have all the controls up to the highest, inside my amp its sounds buzzy and distorted, so I have to watch my controls when plugged in there. It doesn't do slap very well unless it it's in standard, but it sounds awesome when popping. It has a very nice variety in the sounds that it can make. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said earlier, I bought it used, so the last owner would have to decide that. But I did get a lot of buzz when I first got it so I had to adjust the action on that. I don't like how you have to take all the strings off and the plastic plate to get to the truss rod, I like being able to access it easier. The pickups were very nice. They shorted out when I brought it home and started playing, but all I had to do was replace the battery in the back and it was good again. One of the controls have a little more wiggle room than the others so it feels a lot looser. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The bass is very light and it has a natural finish instead of gloss or paint, which won't chip as easily. It's very durable for being as light as it is. I haven't had to mess with any of the strings, and they haven't given me any problems. The hardware consists of EMG pickups; enough said there. The strap button's screws do get loose sometimes so I have to tighten them a lot. I would trust this bass for anything, I love it's reliability. Although I always have a back-up because I never trust anything that well. As I said, it's a natural finish, I don't think it will wear off any time soon. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock/hard rock/punk and sometimes jazz. It can handle mostly rock and metal. I've been playing for just over a year now, and I have a Line 6 Low Down bass amp, a DigiTech BP90 Bass Modeling Processor, and I have an acoustic Ibanez bass. I wish I could have asked how old it was, because I don't know how much longer it will last me. If it was stolen, I would probably buy a different bass, or hunt down the person who stole it and get it back. I love how light it is, because my last bass was a Fender Squire and it was pretty heavy and made my shoulder sore after playing. I love how smooth and fast the neck it on it. I hate that the truss rod it very sensitive and doesn't work well with me. I love the natural finish on the bass. I compared it to an ESP 5 string bass, but I decided on this bass because they didn't have the ESP available for playing at the store, and the strings would have cost me more. I wish it had a better cut out nut at the top. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014