Stiletto Studio-5 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 06/05/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Schecter: Stiletto Studio-5
This 5-string model is 35" scale, which yields an extremely tight low B. These neck-thru beauties have an exotic Bubinga top, finished in a natural honey satin finish. The Studio is armed with EMG HZ pickups, but adds a mid control on the 18 Volt 3-band EQ. Other features include Grover tuners and 24 frets.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 8.9
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Stiletto Studio-5 Reviewed by: __Ronnie__, on june 05, 2007

Sound: I play a lot of modern rock and the occasional slapping/tapping also. Its sound handles all of it perfectly. High or low. It's pretty quiet, if you turn the Treble knob all the way up you hear a very slight hissing noise but I've never found a bass that doesn't do that. It's not loud enough to really interfere with anything anyway so I don't care. I'd say this bass has a very bright sound, as do most Schecters I've played. If that's not your thing then this bass isn't for you. The 3-band EQ is very flexible so I can, get a variety of tones without having to walk up to the amp. Usefel for quick changes while your performing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall, I was not very happy with the set-up. The action was a little high and the strings had a very "loose" feel to them (they were in tune also). I took it in for set-up at a local store for $20 and it felt much better. The screws on a few of the knobs were loose too but that was an easy fix. The wood that the pickup's screw was drilled into became stripped though so I had to refill the hole and rescrew it in again. The finish was beautiful though, not a scratch or dent in sight. It can take a beating too. I've banged my bass of soooo many things and I only have one tiny scratch on the bottom after an accident I had. Overall this bass needs some adjustments and doesn't play very well "out of the box." Nothing that can't be fixed though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. I've dropped it, and the finish would be able to handle it without getting scratched or dented. I've spun it around and the strap stayed on the strap buttons. The strap buttons themselves are very reliable. It withstands Live playing easily and the bridge and tuners feel very solid. They won't need replacement any time soon, or ever. I depend on it fully and often it's the only bass I bring to my performances. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm in a band and play a lot of "Modern Rock." Bands like Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Finger Eleven, Shinedown, Crossfade, etc. Even a Primus song on occasion too as a test of my abilities. This baby can handle it beautifully. I've been playing for 2 years and own an Ibanez SR400 and a cheap Ibanez starter bass and the Schecter is my axe is choice. The low B string has a beautiful growl and it's high notes are very clear too. If it were stolen I'd buy it again, maybe the 6-String version instead for the added range but I'm happy with my fiver. The only thing I wish it had is a split bridge like the Elite does. The Studio has a high quality bridge though so I'm happy with it. If you're considering buying this, go for either this of the Elite. They're the two best basses in this price range. // 9

Stiletto Studio-5 Reviewed by: 444648, on august 03, 2006

Features: Comes stock with a pair of EMG HZ active pickups. A selection of chrome or satin finish hardware was given. A natural style finish with beautiful wood grain and three stripes up the center. Five knowb system three tone and two individual pickup volumes, 24 fret neck and massive cutaway. And my favorite feature is the thru-neck which gives you almost infinite sustain. // 9

Sound: A sound that can go from pounding metallic sounds to the overly subdued "bass you can fell" reggae style. By switching between pickups using the volume knobs and using the three tone knobs you can really get any sound from this intstrument. There is absolutely no unnesesecary noise or static and it can also produce a feedback sound, when desired, by tapping the back of the neck. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass that I first brought home had a flaw in the battery compartment for the pickups and only allowed the bridge pickup to work, and at half volume. A week later, I went to the store to pick up my new bass, and they had forgotten my order, so I drove up to their other location about an hour away and grabbed one of theirs. Other than the battery compartment on the first bass nothing has been wrong, it's all perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are amazingly well designed, the strap has never fallen off, and the guitar is very sturdy. I would definetely go to a gig with only this guitar, no backup is nescessary. It hasn't broken yet, and I don't expect it will anytime soon. Very well made. // 10

Overall Impression: I wish that it had a pickup selector and volume knobs for easy tone changes but, really, that's not nescesarry. It is also perfectly balanced so that it won't fall out of your lap and hit you in the face. It truly is an amazing instrument, a perfect fit for any style of music, not just the hard rock Schecter is known for. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.6 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014