Legend 4 Classic Review

review (1) pictures (7) user comments vote for this gear:
Legend 4 Classic Reviewed by: BassTapp, on june 11, 2012

Price paid: A$ 599

Purchased from: Billy Hyde

Features: Purchased new for the bargain price of $599 (they were clearing out the stock it was originally $999) the Spector Legend 4 Classic is a Korean made 4 string. The bass features a 24 fret bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The body of the bass is maple also and features a quilted maple top finished in a high gloss black cherry stain; the body is also contoured for maximum comfort. The bridge of the bass is black die cast locking and seems quite high quality; the tuners are matching black and seem very sturdy. Electronics wise the bass features an active Spector Tone Pump Jr circuit and two volume knobs, a bass control and a treble control, the real feature however is the two passive EMG designed SSD soap bar humbuckers at the bridge and neck. // 10

Sound: I play a fairly broad range of genres however mostly stuff in the style of The Cure and Jimmy Eat World on top of original stuff. So far I have found nothing that the bass couldn't handle. The two EMG humbuckers can be adjusted to a huge range of sounds via simply using the control knobs on the bass, I haven't tweaked any amp settings yet but I imagine this would open up an even greater array of tonal capabilities. The bass sounds clean for the majority of stuff however I have noticed that it tends to get "muddy" if care is not taken when playing quickly, especially if your just hitting the same note. Overall it's one of the best sounding basses I have played and I've played a few, beats anything sound wise until you get to basses such as the MusicMan Stingray. Completely destroys most other basses within the price bracket. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall the quality of this bass is pretty great, no fret buzz out of the box, the action is quite nice and extremely playable and all the hardware is installed properly. The only flaw I have noticed is that the G is slightly out of intonation at the 12th fret all the other strings are perfect and I'm sure a little adjustment will fix it up quickly enough. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The bass is constructed well and seems extremely sturdy in all aspects. The tuners are tight and hold well as with the bridge and the neck is bolted like cement and won't be moving anytime soon. The finish seems strong enough (I haven't had the misfortune of testing this yet, but that comes with playing) however I'm used to playing basses with pickgaurds and in a way this is a flaw for me as while I don't play with a pick they provide some extra surface protection. I would never play a gig without a backup with any bass but if I did this would probably be fine. The strap buttons while a little small are strong, as with the bass and I doubt gigging would break this thing down. // 9

Overall Impression: At the price I got it for I don't regret a thing, in fact I would be happy to pay $999. The Legend 4 Classic sounds, feels and looks awesome and fits my playing style perfectly. I love the pickups and the body shape. If someone stole this from me I would crawl into the foetal position and cry for days then upgrade to a Spector Euro when I had the funds as this bass has won me over in regards to Spector as a whole. If I had to add something it would probably be strap locks? Can't think of anything else it needs... // 9

More Spector reviews rating category latest review
+ ReBop 5DLX 9.8 Bass Guitars 05/31/2013