Affinity Jazz Bass Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 01/23/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Affinity Jazz Bass
The Affinity Jazz Bass is a value-priced version of the world famous Fender Jazz Bass. It has the look and tone that everyone knows and loves, all at an ultra-economical price. The Affinity Jazz Bass has a rosewood fingerboard, two single-coil vintage-style Jazz Bass pickups and a top-loaded bridge.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 Features: 8.7
 8.6
 8.5
 8.6
reviews (6) pictures (3) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Affinity Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2007

Features: My bass was made in China, It has 21 frets, is made of Alder, with 3 control knobs (2 volumes for the pickups and one for master tone). The knobs are designed like the Fender jazz (plastic and black, not chrome). The pickups are just like any other jazz style bass, 2 of them parallel to each other. The pickups sound alright but I would advise getting new ones. I was a cheapo so I just bought the bass with no accessories. Over all it's got alright features. // 8

Sound: I play just about everything except for country (I hate Kenny Chessney). I play it through some no-name 50 watt amp which sounds pretty good to my suprise. The tone is nice but some times it doesnt't get as bass-ish low as I would want. The jazz sound is nice when played finger style. It makes the sounds a bit fatter and warm which I love. You can get a P-Bass-ish sound if the bridge volume is down but it has a bad habit of gaining a nasty buzzing sound which both of the pickups cancel out together. Aside from these flaws I still love it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was fine, although I think someone adjusted it as I'm pretty sure the bass was preowned. I tightened the pickups a little because they were loose. The bridge can rattle at times for some reason unknown to me. Other than these things it's all good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass should be used for home use or light gigs with your friends (you don't want to sound just "ok" when showing off). I think the finish is just like any other bass, shiney and good looking. One thing, just don't bump it against hard things, it has a tendancy to get small dents. // 8

Overall Impression: The jazz bass is good for most styles and I love it. I wouldn't buy this bass again only because I want a Musicman Stingray but then again I'll never save up enough money for one of those. This bass can be anyother Fender bass with the right electronics and care for a fraction of the price. I would recommend this bass for someone who is looking for a cheap bass that wont break on them withing 1 year. // 8

Affinity Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2009

Purchased from: Reverb

Features: 2006 Indonesian made Squier J-Bass. 20 fret 34" scale neck. Lovely dark metallic blue paint with chrome hardware. 2 passive Squier J-Bass pick-ups with separate volume knobs and a master tone knob. Classic Fender style tuners on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. Great bass for finger picking and (with higher action than factory set-up)slap bass. Bought as a bass starter kit, came with 15 watt Fender rumble amp, cable, strap, DVD, and 3 plectrums were thrown in by the shop staff. // 10

Sound: It suit all the styles of music that I play from Indie to heavy metal. Great for slower, quieter songs and can really pound out the crunch for the fast paced metal. I use it with my Fender Rumble 15 watt at home and a Line 6 lowdown 300 watt at the studio. I have yet to find a setting where it is noisy (well beyond what I'm usually playing!). It has a rich, warm but somehow still bright tone but with the tone knob dialed out it has a nice meaty crunch. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this bass (or should I say when I let my Dad buy it for me!)the only thing that wasn't perfect was the fact that the pickguard wasn't completely screwed down but I fixed that within 5 minutes. Since, I have had to have one of the wires re-soldered to the jack socket as it came loose, but seeing as how the rest of the bass is so good, it was probably my fault. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I must just say that as soon as I opened the box I fell in love with the colour! This bass could withstand a nuke! The hardware is all heavy duty and will easily last your lifetime, if not just the guitar's if taken care of properly. The strap buttons are superb and because of the weight of the bass they really make a good solid connection with a strap. I would be happy to gig this bass without a backup. The paint is amazing and I'm not sure how it is still on the body after all the knocks and bumps it's had. It's a testament to Squier's quality control department. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass suits all the styles of music that I play with my band. I have been playing bass since September 2008 and I also own a Yamaha RBX375 5-string bass. The only thing I wish I had asked before buying it would have been if I could have got a five string version for about the same amount of money. If it were stolen/lost I would probably upgrade and get a 5-string version or even save up for a proper Fender 5-string Jaz bass. I love everything about this bass apart from the fact that it isn't a 5-string and my favourite feature is the string spacing as it is ideal for finger picking and slap bass. I compared this bass to the other Squier Affinity bass, the P-Bas, but I got this one as I believe it looks better. // 10

Affinity Jazz Bass Reviewed by: mtowenby, on december 18, 2009

Purchased from: Music Maker

Features: This guitar is actually called a "J-Bass," as opposed to a "Jazz Bass," although I'm sure most people can figure that out. Mine is a 2009 Model made in China, 20 frets with a Rosewood fingerboard. The body is made of Alder with a poly finish (metallic red). The split pickups are passive. The controls are indiviual volume and overall tone. No accessories were included. // 9

Sound: I play a wide variety (Contemporary Christian to R and B) and the bass suits all of these. I like a deep, "bassy" sound, which usually means I set the tone to full bass, crank up the neck p/u, and crank down the bridge p/u. If I need more treble, (such as early Motown), I simply reverse these settings. I play through a Fender Rumble 100 (2x10) and they really sound great together. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings were way off. The action was insanely high and the intonation was way off. For $30, it's much more playable, although lowering the action did reveal a few high frets. I didn't have the pickups adjusted. The overall fit and finish was really pretty good. Aside from the set-up, all the electronics work, no scratches or dings, and it's a pretty solid instrument. Given proper care, it should last for many many years. I'm sure the electronics, nut, and fingerboard could be upgraded for a really nice axe. However, when I'm able, I plan to upgrade to a Fender Jazz Bass. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As with most things, you get what you pay for. Would I go on tour with this guitar alone? Probably not. Then again, I don't see myself going on tour. Will I gig it locally without a backup? Yes. Take care of your equipment, and it'll take care of you. // 9

Overall Impression: Although I started playing guitar at age 5, this was the first bass I'd ever played. I bought this to crossover and wanted a quality instrument to learn on at a fair price. I also tried out the Affinity P-Bass, but didn't like it. The P had one p/u that buzzed lightly and a control knob about to fall off. Plus, I love the color (metallic red) of my J-Bass. I think what I like most about the J is the overall value. It's a solid instrument that looks good and plays well. I think it actually plays easier than Squier's Jazz Bass. In fact, after playing a Fender Jazz Bass (Standard), the J is pretty close! If you're considering a bass to learn on, or to have as a spare, I think this is an excellent choice. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. // 10

Affinity Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Galactic God, on january 11, 2011

Purchased from: Sword's Music (Ft. Worth, TX)

Features: Not sure what year it was made, but made in Indonesia 20 frets Passive electronics Fender "Jazz" body style Two volume controls and 1 tone control Two single pickups Part of a gig pack including 15W Fender "Rumble" amp, chord, instructional DVD, tuner, and strap // 8

Sound: I play a lot of Metal, and it sounds really thick. When finger-picking, it sounds really deep and tight, and when using a pick, the sound has a nice bite to it. Thus far, I have only used the 15W Fender "Rumble" amp that came with the gig pack, but I have a Line6 UX2 that I will be using. I don't notice a lot of background "electrical" noise, regardless of setting. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The string action is what I would estimate to be about 1/4 inch high. Given that this is my first bass, I'm not sure how the pickups should be adjusted, but I did manage to have the E-string make contact with the pickup on a few occasions. The bridge appears to be properly routed, and straight. The only flaws I noticed were a few "edgy" frets, but not sharp enough to slice a finger. The nut is "messy" looking. I'm not sure if it's glue, dirt, or something else. It also appears to be cut quite shallow. There's a slight blemish on the fretboard, which looks like a scuff mark, but upon running my finger over it, it did not feel rough, or like the guitar had been damaged, or lacking a dressing. All of the hardware is in good shape, and the control knobs are tight and direct. The tuning pegs seem to be fairly accurate. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'm not sure whether this guitar will withstand live playing, or not. I don't plan on playing live, so I can't answer that question. I've only had the guitar for about a few days, but the hardware seems sturdy enough to do the job. The strap buttons are located in optimal positions, and the guitar balances nicely while standing. Personally, I think I could certainly depend on this guitar without a backup if I chose to gig. I've been playing guitars for a few years, and I certainly feel that this guitar exceeds its price in overall quality and playability. The finish on the body is excellent. In fact, it's SIGNIFICANTLY better than the finish on my Warmoth "custom" guitar, which was painted at Warmoth's factory ($295 paint-job). The finish on the neck leaves a little bit to be desired, as the back of the neck feels slick and glossy, but the front and back of the head seem to have some thin areas. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Metal. This bass can certainly pound out the notes, and sounds good doing it. I have been "playing" bass guitar for 4 days, but standard electric guitar for over two years. The rest of the gear I own is all guitar-related, but I can use my Line6 UX2 with the bass. There is nothing I wish I had asked prior to receiving this product, other than to have asked for it sooner! This gig pack is an Xmas gift from my wife. If this guitar was stolen, I'd be upset. Not only because it is a gift from my wife, but it is a high quality instrument, especially for its price. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't upgrade if given the opportunity, because we all like to have the best of things, but I would not hesitate to replace this bass guitar with the same exact thing! I love the neck's slickness/radius, tight tone, deep finish on the body, weight, and of course, the price! I hate the location of the knob which is closest to the G-string. While using a pick, my finger is constantly hitting the knob. I also don't like the few "edgy" frets, sloppy looking nut, height of the string action, or low E-string hitting the neck-pickup from time to time, but all of those issues can probably be remedied with a proper setup. Prior to receiving this gift, I had played and compared the instruments included in gig packs offered by Gibson, Dean, Ibanez, B.C. Rich, and Rogue, and in overall fit, finish, playability, and quality, they don't even come close. The only things I wish this guitar had are things that can be fixed with a proper setup; lower string action, a few fret edges smoothed out, and possibly the cut of the nut worked on, if need be. // 8

Affinity Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 15, 2011

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: My bass was made in Indonesia, in 2006. It has 20 frets on a thin Jazz Bass style neck. No complaints about the neck, it's a brilliant width, especially for people with smaller hands. The body is made from alder, and it features two single coil J Pickups and two volume and a master tone knob. I switched the strap buttons for string locks as soon as the money was available. The bass came with a 15 watt Fender Rumble amp, a strap which has since broken, a gig bag that was too small and a lead that snapped. // 8

Sound: I play lots of punk and some metal, and by varying the pickup volumes, I can acheive almost any sound, for any specific song a play. It is a very vertasile bass. I play it on the Fender Rumble it was bundled with, using no effects. It has a very rich full sound, and I have no complaints about this and the bridge pick up gives a very bright sound, where as the neck gives a very bassy sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very high from the factory, and required lowering, as the higher frets became difficult to use. The pickups were fine, although I did raise them slightly to increase the volume from the higher strings. The gloss black finish was fine, there are a couple of scrapes now, but they were my fault. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I beleive this will be able to take gigging, although I have not gigged with it yet, I plan on in the near future. One major problem I've had with it were the electronics, which have broken 3 times. The first two times, the input jack solder broke. The third and current time, the pickups turn off completely if the volume knobs are turned below roughly 75%. I am yet to figure out what is wrong with it. I switched the strap buttons for strap locks, as I used to tilt the bass at a high angle and it was tearing up the strap. I would like to say I could depend on it, but sadly, due to the elctronic problems, I cannot, and would not gig without a back up. The finish is very thick, and there are no worries of it coming off uness you drop it a lot. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a lot of punk and metal, and this fits both well. I've been playing for about a year and this was my first bass. If it were lost or stolen, I'd either buy this again or save up for a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass instead, purely to avoid the electrical problems. I compared this to a Squier P Bass and chose this because I found it more comfortable and more versatile. I wish it had a red pickguard, because those things are sexy. // 8

Affinity Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2012

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: Used 2010 q (China model, not Indonesian starter pack model, there is a significant difference in quality. 20 frets, medium jumbo. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard and Vintage covered tuners. Candy apple red finish, three ply white pickguard. Standard bridge. 2 passive single coil pickups (same as Fender Standard Jazz Bass). Standard Vintage control knobs and plate. // 9

Sound: Playing jazz, blues and rock style music. Sounds exactly like a Fender Standard series J Bass. Excellent tonal range and clearity. Very good sound overall. Typical Jazz Bass single coil sound. Great Jazz, blues and rock bass. Not suited for heavy rock or metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Excellent action and playability. Finish work is every bit as good as Fender Standard series basses. Tuner work fine, a little play in them but function well, probably the only thing on this bass I would consider upgrading. Feels great to play, as a jazz bass should. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very well made (can't say the same for starter pack version). The China version is suitable for beginners to active musicians, and in my opinion, easily a bass you can gig with. At this price point you can afford a tuning key upgrade. Very dependable, no problems at all. // 9

Overall Impression: If you want a good J Bass the China version is for you. I would not spend money on Fender J Basses unless you are a serious musician. As always, you should play it first. One may have better finish work tnan another, get the most for your money. I would definitely buy this again. Definitely better than Fender Mexican made version. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014