Affinity Precision Bass Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 04/29/2013 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Affinity Precision Bass
The Squier Affinity P-Bass is the world's best-selling bass because of its unmatched value. It feels good, sounds good and fits the needs of any player on a budget.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 8.3
 7.6
reviews (12) pictures (3) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 02, 2010

Purchased from: Central Music

Features: My Squier Affinity P-Bass was manufactured in 2004 in Indonesia and is still in great shape today, especially for what many consider being a cheap or beginner bass. The craftsmanship on everything in it is excellent and durable, and it all still works to this day. The 20 fret maple neck and rosewood fingerboard have held up beautifully and did not require much maintenance over the time I've had it. The body is typical of any P-Bass model: lightweight, durable, and immediately recognizable. The stock bridge was decent, but sometimes did not do what I wanted it to do when I adjusted my action, though I was always able to eventually struggle to the way I wanted it. The passive pickups were decent for stock but did not have much tonal range when it came to the tone knob. Again, I would recommend replacing these but they are still great for stock on the bass. Speaking of which, there was a single tone and single volume knob for the entire bass, both of which were not great. The volume knob came loose and eventually I had to superglue it on, and it could not get really soft tones. I jumped from mute to moderate with the slightest twist, and as I said the tone knob barely changed the tone, more or less took a little edge off of the highs. Standard clover-tuners grace the headstock and held tune very well for the most part, even while using the bass to hit crash cymbals repeatedly on stage. Overall, for a bassist who wants to play and not worry about finding their own tone quite yet, I'd say this is fine in the features department, but as I am well past that stage I have to give it a less than perfect score. // 6

Sound: As with all split-coil pickup basses, the sound of the P-Bass tends to be on the brighter and poppy side of the wall. Luckily and surprisingly, there is not much feedback from this bass even while tone and volume are turned completely up. I found this to be a rather great part of Squier's product and shows that they can create something great as well. The only time I did receive feedback is when I would rest my bass against my amp, at which point it sounded like the walls were giving out. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the sound for my personal taste, but that does not mean I can't appreciate it. I tend to go for warmer, deeper sounds that rumble more than they are heard, and I could not fully achieve that with this bass. However, it could come very close when equipped with flatwound strings and the tone off. However, oftentimes I was playing it through a Behringer Ultrabass BX1200, which itself has horrible tone, so my inability to achieve complete warm tone, although still true, would probably have at least sounded better through any other amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purchased my bass from my local store they set up the action, neck and everything else right in front of me to my liking (which, seeing as it was my first stringed instrument, I had no idea what my liking was until a year later). However, I have since played some as they were from the factory, and they are not too bad. More often than not the action is maxed out and the pickups are generally high too, so it's not always the most comfortable experience to pick one up. Everything else though seems to be ok out of the box and I have heard minimal complaints about them from other players. My only real problem, as stated before, were the loose tone and volume knobs that seem to be on all of them. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Seeing as how this bass just turned 6 years old I will say it has and will stand the test of time and hold up to the damage to I have put on it and will continue to put on it. I have used it live numerous times and not once has it let me down. The only hardware problems, again, seem to be the knobs falling off. One time the nut also came off completely, due to my squeezing a low B string in the E string slot and then trying to pull it out. However, under normal circumstances I'm sure that would not have occurred and place the blame on the user and not the instrument. Another issue is that after a few years I noticed the bow in the neck had become a very big problem and adjusted it myself back to an upright position. However, now a few more years later it still has a slight bow and will not go back to completely straight while all the strings are tuned and tightened. Everything else seems to be in great condition and no wear is visible on the body, aside from a few dings from hard impact. But again, it takes a beating like a champ and keeps playing like one all the while. // 9

Overall Impression: Personally, at this point in time the Squier Affinity P-Bass is not the bass for my music and style of playing, although it was a tremendous bass to start with and I am proud to have owned it for 6 years and know that it will continue to perform as well as the day I got it. I have since moved up to a P-Bass Special and Dean Edge Q6, but still played this bass frequently at home or for practicing. Seeing as how it was my first bass I had nothing to compare it to, but overall I'd say it's the best for its buck and maybe even then some. Still my biggest complaint is the lack of tonal control but for the price I'd still recommend it to anyone looking for their first bass or a step up from a Rogue. After seeing the quality for myself inside and out over the years of dismantling it and putting it back together I do commend Squier for a well-built bass. Also, as you move on, as I am about to do, it serves as great way to start learning how to modify your instruments without much fear of losing a large investment. // 9

- Robert Hassa (c) 2010

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2008

Price paid: A$ 385

Purchased from: Intermusic Bondi

Features: The Squier P-Bass was made in 1999 and was crafted in Indonesia. It has 20 medium jumbo frets, it's a 34" scale, and has an easy to play neck. The body is made of alder and the neck is made of maple. The bridge is the standard 4-saddle, and the bass has passive electronics. It has 2 chrome-hardware controls, which are the volume and tone knobs. It has one split-single coil pickup, non-locking tuners from Fender and came with a gig bag, strap, amplifier, cable, allen wrench and keys, tuner, dvd. All the essentials for a beginner bassist. // 10

Sound: Clearly you can technically use it for any musical style, but it shines in modern rock (pop-punk, grunge etc) and has a nice punchy tone with a pick, but also a nice mellowed out tone with finger play. I play it through the Fender Rumble 15 that is included with it, it's good but make sure you actually use the tone knob on the bass, otherwise it'll sound like a tugboat. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Surprisingly the action is quite good for a squier coming out of the factory, it only has a slight buzz when popping on the D string. The pickups are pretty neat but after around 2 months of playing it, I get this random popping sound when playing the D string, but it only really occurs once after turning the amp on then it's fine after that. The bridge was routed fine and the bass had no flaws which is great to see. When buying it I had a choice between a red or sunburst finish, I chose the sunburst finish and I think it's great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Affinity Squier P-Bass probably shouldn't be relied on for playing Live (it's an affinity what do you expect). The hardware looks fine to me, strap buttons are solid and fine. I don't gig, but if I did I definately wouldn't take this as my only bass, but that shouldn't deduct any points from it, it's a beginner bass and works great at satisfying the needs of a beginner. The finish is also definately lastable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pretty much anything in the rock genre, I like playing a lot of classic rock, particularly The Beatles, and it definately works for it. I have been playing for almost 3 months now, which is probably laughable to some, but I'm reviewing this to help out any other beginner. This is my only bass at this time, but I've tried a few basses before and this is definately the most comfortable. No there isn't anything I wish I had asked before buying it, the bass spoke for itself. If it were stolen or lost, no I wouldn't buy it again, but that's only because I would like to expand the gear I use, since it's my only bass at the moment, but it's a great bass none the less. I love the sunburst finish and the variety of sounds out of something as simple as the P-Bass. As I said, it's great for beginners and fills the needs for them. // 10

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: cjlane, on june 02, 2009

Price paid: A$ 350

Purchased from: Intermusic

Features: My Squier Affinity Precision Bass was made in Indonesia in July, 2007. It has 21 medium jumbo frets, a 34" scale, a maple C-shape neck, a 9.5" radius rosewood fingerboard, an agathis body with a solid top and a sunburst polyurethane finish. It is a traditional Precision bass style body along with the standard 4-saddle bridge and passive electronics. It also uses the standard volume/tone knob arrangement and a stock standard split single-coil pickup configuration. It also uses the Tradition 'clover-key' tuners as I like to call them that are home-brand Squier made. It came with the lot, Fender gig bag, strap, cable, tools, amplifier and tuner, everything to get a beginner started. // 8

Sound: The sound of this bass suits my style, which is mainly rock genres such as classic rock and grunge. A Jazz Bass may be a bit more suited for classic rock but nothing beats the fat Precision bass sound for grunge. I am playing this bass through a Zoom B1X connected up to a Fender Rumble 15. The sound isn't spectacular, but gigging this instrument with different amplifiers the sound is great, all stock. The bass is not noisy at all with my experience and the sound is very full. It probably isn't the brightest sound around, but with the help of a good amplifier can definately get bright. The bass doesn't have a huge variety of sounds, it does what it does, the Precision bass sound. Although as I just mentioned with the help of a good amplifier it opens the door to a huge array of sounds. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up and action straight from the factory was perfect! I know it wasn't set-up in the store as it was taped shut in the box, so this is all the factories work right here and I am very pleased. The pickups were adjusted perfectly aswell, I have adjusted them since but always go back as the factory did it the way I like it. The bridge was routed fine and have experienced no intonation problems. The bass came with zero flaws. That's right, zero flaws. The fretwire was not sharp at all and very smooth to play, the finish is smooth from the polyurethane body all the way to the satin neck. The wood quality looks spectacular and I can see the grain perfectly through the sunburst finish and looks alot more interesting than higher-tiered basses with a sunburst finish. The hardware and tuning pegs were perfectly new with no rust flaws and the nut was cut in fine. The saddle fit in fine and the controls don't feel loose but aren't totally negative at turning either. Very pleased with this aspect of the instrument. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass would definately withstand Live playing. Alot of people wouldn't play Live with such a bass, but it is durable enough, no doubt. The hardware has been fine for whole year so far without any flaw and I expect it to last alot longer. The strap buttons are solid and wouldn't give out at any time, but it would be an idea to look into strap locks. I can depend on this bass and I would gig it without a backup as I've never had a problem with this but have always had problems with more expensive instruments. The finish is polyurethane, it will not and I repeat not wear off, lots of playing or not. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a diverse range of rock, most notably grunge and classic rock and it makes a fine match. I have been playing for a year now and also own an Ashton ARSB-382, Fender Rumble 15 and Zoom effects pedal, along with a collection of guitar gear. I have always wondered what it would be like if I chose the Affinity Jazz Bass instead, but this is so good that I don't feel like I'm missing anything. If instrument was stolen or lost, I'd find a different bass, only because the Affinity range quality seems to vary quite a bit, I am so lucky to have a good one. The thing I love about this instrument is that everyone I know Who owns this has so many complaints about it while everything about my one is really good, the set-up, action, hardware, all of it. I really don't hate much about this instrument, the pickups could perhaps be a bit more colourful but they are just stock pickups so it's acceptable to an instrument of this tier. My favourite feature would have to be the sunburst finish, everything about it is great, but the wood in this one blows away any other sunburst finish I've seen, maybe they stuck a Fender Precision Bass body on mine instead? I have compared this with alot of other products, compared to other Squier's such as the California series and the standard series, this one blows them away in all aspects. I chose this one because I was just beginning and had a choice between this an a metallic blue Jazz Bass and was definately playing this. Everything about this is just what I wanted, simple, fun to play, great quality. // 9

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 22, 2008

Price paid: C$ 120

Features: Like every Squire out there just the bare minimum. One split single coil pickup with a tone and volume knob (I was surprised to see a Squire with a tone knob it's the first of my 3 with one). 20 medium jumbo frets, alder body apparently if I recall corectly. 4 string bass and very plain and standard. Wish it had a bit more to make it less bassic. // 7

Sound: Sounds good, noisy as all hell unless you ground yourself then not a sound outa her but the buzz is astonishing. Not a lot of tone flexability but if it's put in the right place it sounds really reallyt good. I love the sound unless you stop playing it and don't touch it lol. Slap sounds good, but finger picking isn't a great sound unless you hardly touch the strings. With a pick and playing mainly grunge or pop-punk/alternative stuff it sounds great though. Even for some ska but I prefer something with a thinner neck. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I bought mine used so as of factory set up Who knows. The set up though is good, I like it. It plays very well however I used a Peavy Milestone which has the smallest neck of any bass but the Squire Branco bass so to me it was huge. I still don't use it for a lot of songs as I tend to be all over the place and this thing is just killer on the arm. The finish is really nice, it's a blue that has like a purple tint, I really like the looks of this bass, it's plain looking but still beautiful. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I treat this thing pretty well but she hasn't failed on me yet. Haven't giged with it and if I do it's going to be jsut a backup anyways. I do think though that it will do the trick but if it's your main bass, bring a backup. Would like to add too that Fender's strap buttons are garbadge so if your going to gig with it, get strap locks. The finish will last I know this because I own multiple Squires. // 8

Overall Impression: I like it but it's not I would suggest as a cheap backup not even a beginer bass. If your switching from guitar to learn bass even go with a Jazz bass in any case really, thinner neck and more versitile. This bass is what it is, a good solid bass, but not very versitile and not for complicated bass lines. I love it for my more mainstream simple songs in E or Eb. I hate trying to play Ska on it, or in drop tunings. I like how heavy it is though but it's a bit to neck heavy and unbalenced. I wish it had a single coil near the bridge jsut to make it a bit mroe versitile even if I never used that pickup anyways. If it were stolen I'd get a Fender not sure if I'd even bother with a P-Bass though. // 8

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2008

Price paid: C$ 120

Purchased from: Kijiji

Features: Made in Indonishia, as old as 2004 but no newer then 2006 so it's the better P Bass, when they started using alder for the body. 20 frets on probably the bigest neck ever made which after a while I like. The scale is either normal or large. Passive electronics and your basic P Bass hardware and a split single coil. I got a gig bag and a strap with mine. // 8

Sound: This guitar has some good variety, it depends on if you want the deep growl from it. I personaly really like it for most of what I play but usualy I use a jazz bass because of the large neck. Suits just about anything really well, like I said though it comes down to preference. You get the deep growl regardless, but it has a bit of variety going from very dark and deep to rough, I don't notice much difference when I finger pick though. Just seems to get muddy with the tone on 0. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know about factory set up but the previous owner had it set up pretty good. Very small adjustments were needed on the pickup because the lower strings weren't volume leveled with the high strings. The action is alright, not near as sweet as a jazz though. The guitar was surprisingly flawless for it's finish which is a beautiful metalic blue that looks a bit purple. It's a beautiful looking guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Nothings gone wrong with it so far, the hardware seems solid, however the same can't be said about the strap buttons. Fenders strap buttons are horible period. I'm sure though that it'd withstand a Live show, but I would never gig without a backup even if I was using an american Fender P Bass. I think though she'll look good for a long time and I don't see why it wouldn't last for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: The genra I'm moving into right now is ska and I'm using this bass primarily in it. It suits the genra very well I think. I've been playing 5 years and own a slew of guitars and amps, this isn't my favorite of the bunch but it's not ready for the sell pile yet anyways. If it were stolen I'd just build myself a new one, I plan on doing so anyways. I love it's sound and looks, but don't particularly care for the neck, that being said the guitar over all has a nice feel. This is a great beginer bass for sure and defenitly something good for a person on a budget, it's very close to a Fender in my opinion however with bass the differences are quite small. // 8

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 29, 2009

Features: Not sure of the year, but it mine was made in China. It has a 20 fret maple neck and a rosewood fretboard. It's listed with a "hardwood body"..not sure what they mean by that. It has a split-coil pick up which makes getting most any bass sound you need simple. 1 volume and 1 tone knob, so controls are pretty simple, I bought mine used, so I just recieved the bass, but I play through a variety of Peavey amps and it has a great tone through each amp. // 7

Sound: The sound it suprisingly versatile. I play in a lot of different groups, and I go to my squire for each one. You can get sharp bass tones for Green Day type punk, or roll off the tone knob a little for classic rock like CCR or Bob Seger. I also use this for jazz band because I can find a good tone for each song with a little adjustment to the tone knobs. I also own a Jackson bass with active Duncans, but the tone was nearly as good as he P-Bass. The Squire is also very quiet, so no buzzing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I bought it used, so I can't really say about factory setup, but the previous owner had setup the bass really well. It has a fairly low action and no fret buzz. The intonation is fine until you get around the 15th fret or above, but I'm yet to find this a problem.I had some problems with the volume and tone knobs coming off, but I replaced them and it solved the problem. One other complaint I have is with the pickguard that was on it. Someone tripped over my cord at band practice, and the cord brought up the input jack which broke off the surrounding area of the pickguard. Frets, hardware, and strap buttons are all solid. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing. I play Live several times a week with different groups and it always holds up beautifully. It can definitely take a beating. I play bass in my school's marching band, and this my bass fell on a concrete track 6 times over 2 weeks. the paint is chipped, but there is no structural damage to the bass. It actually has a really cool road-worn look to it because of the chipped paint. And yes, I would do gig without a backup because this bass has never let me down, unlike my Jackson bass. // 9

Overall Impression: If you're concerned about build quality because of the affinity strats, don't be. these are much better quality. I've been playing bass two years, which is how long I've had this bass, and guitar for 3 years. I usually use it with a Peavey TKO 115 without any effects.The only thing I would change would be the pots. I also plan on getting a Fender neck with a maple fretboard, because I prefer the maple over rosewood. Great bass that too many people overlook. It will last with every day use. I know because I play at least 4 -6 hours a day(I play in a school sponsered band, school's symphonic band, and a jazz band.) If you are just getting into bass, you'll love this and will probably never have to replace it. // 8

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: joshmckinnon, on january 08, 2010

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Long and McQuade (used)

Features: This bass was crafted in china from canadian maple and other woods. It is, I believe, 2000 to 2003. It has 20 medium frets a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. It has a burgondy finish and still has the stock pickups. It has a single split P-Bass pickup and 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Everything on it is stock except for the strings and it still feels great. // 8

Sound: Well the P-Bass is well suited for all forms of music but I mostly play rock and blues and it gets the job done.I play it throught a regular bass amp (clean channel) and my settings are all at around 5. It is only noisy when I am not touching it (it isnt grounded in this case) but otherwise its silent. The good thing with this bass is that you can get a wide range of sounds from slap bass to death metal drop z tuning. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well since I got it used it was set up okay but recently I have lowered the action to make it easier to play up high. Everything was set up fine. I currently have 130, 100, 80, 60 gauge strings on it, tuned BEAD and it even gets the low b without distorting. The only problem is the d seems to distort when I get louder but I think its just too close to the pickup cause it just started recently. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar with my Jazz band and an orchestra and it works for everything. I have used it live about 20-30 times and it worked great. It has a Fender bridge and these have the most sustain of any bass out there. The Strap buttons are also quite solid. As I said before I have used it lots w/out a backup so no need for one yet.the finish is really tough, just a chip in the top horn that was there when I got it and nothing has happened to it yet. (knock on wood) // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play blues and rock and this works for both really well.I have been playing for a couple of years now and I think this bass is great. I only wish it had better pups but I think I will get new ones soon anyways. If it were stolen or lost I would probably go buy a Fender split p-bass/j-bass pup bass for the versatility. I don't hate anything about this guitar at all. I love how solid it is and I love the sound I get from it. I only wish it had different pups, but as I said I'm getting new ones soon. // 9

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: Xolair, on april 07, 2010

Price paid: € 155

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: This bass was bought from Thomann, brand new in late May, 2009. 20 medium jumbo frets, 34 scale, alder body and such, haven't really owned any basses before so can't compare the neck's playablity to any other basses, seems nicely playable though and not at all as thick as you might guess. Maybe after playing on a Jazz bass this neck probably feels gigantic, but as said, I personally can't compare this to any other basses. So, find out for yourself if the neck suits your playing needs. Personally I'm fine with this neck's profile. For now. Otherwise, the bass isn't spoiled with an awful lot of features; just a passive split-coil pickup system with tone/volume knobs, nothing else. Also got the (crap) Fender strap to begin with, a Laney RB1 amplifier plus other minor items. As so, nothing special here. // 7

Sound: Playing the bass through my Laney RB1 amp at the moment. Swapped a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 pup a few months back. As stock the bass didn't sound too bad, and now with the Seymour it's tonally rather nice, yet maybe not 100% as I'd like it. A bit one-sided, you could say, only cos there's just the single pickup and wish I'd have a more versatile/powerful amp to punch in more varied EQ settings. Using Rotosound RS77LD flatwounds and they provide me with needed brightness, yet the flatwound fundamental and way decreased finger noise. Anyway, the P Bass tone is what this bass delivers nicely and that I can't take away. Great sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Decided to choose the Metallic Blue finish, as the other ones were at that moment more expensive at Thomann. Haven't regretted the colour, it looks neat when light hits it and the sheen is certainly something to admire. Have so far changed a black, mirror pickguard and a silver sticker to make the bass look more sechsy. The rosewood fingerboard looks decent, although I'd personally want a maple one for the more flush looks it has. Everythings seems decent enough on the surface, yet the neck seems to have some dead spots or whatnot. Could also be my (shitty?) set-up skills, but sometimes some notes seem to suffocate in an annoying way. Not too audible as long as you stay on the 3-5 first frets, but from above that the notes seem to lose their crispiness if I play in my usual style (low action, strings hitting the frets etc). But, what can you do, I might take the bass to a proper setup in the future to see if there's something truly wrong. Up til then, I'll manage... // 7

Reliability & Durability: Haven't got much experience from this area, but the bass seems well-constructed enough to handle home playing (duh), not sure about live performances, probably not if you go bashing the bass onto... things and throw it around. Seems quite solid for now, probably won't be taking this to any gigs anytime soon. // 7

Overall Impression: Had a few choices in the matter when was still deciding on what bass to buy (in '09), but went with the Squier and don't regret it (too much). What a fine beginner bass, and not that awfully expensive either. The Squier surely isn't flawlessly crafted, at times the slight cheapness shows through and make sure you get a good, well-playing individual. Still, at this price range, below 200, can't think of any other choices to win over this sound, this growl and this overall tone. It's such a distinctive tone and I simply love it. Still, some variety couldn't hurt... looking forward to my next bass. :) // 8

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 19, 2011

Price paid: € 299

Purchased from: FMUSIC

Features: This bass was made in Indonesia in 2008. It had 20 jumbo frets, normal 34" scale, basswood body and maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. It came with black finish and white pickguard. It had (still has) passive split pickup, just basic volume and tone knob. It came with rumble 15 amp, strap, cable, and tuner. It has a chrome pickup cover. // 8

Sound: I'm mostly a disco and funk player. This bass is clearly not that kinda bass, it's more of a straightforward metal or rock bass. It's not very groovy. I use this bass with that rumble amp which came with it. The bass is not noisy, and is pretty bright sounding overall, but has no depth in sound. This bass is not very versatile, but it has kinda Vintage sound, which is cool. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: the factory setup was playable, but I still had to adjust it. The pickups almost dropped off before I screwed them back. The bridge is very good and solid, no complaints. The nut is kind of bad, and the original strings really sucked. The electronics are not very good, the tone control broke after two months of playing, and it stuck to the muted position, and I had to take it off to play properly. Everything else electronic than the pickup suck. Even the volume control is crackling. The tuners stay in tune, but the g-string peg came off once. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is not reliable because of it's electronics. I would get a backup while playing live. The strapbuttons are solid, no problem with them. The finish scratches easily, but is overall OK. The neck seems to be unfinished (no chemical treatment), well, it looks like it. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play mostly disco and funk, and this bass is not groovy so... The neck is also very slow, and the bass is heavy. I have played for three years, and this was the first fretted instrument I've ever owned, or this house has ever owned, so I started with bass, not with guitar. I think buying this bass over a jazz bass was a mistake. My other basses are (as of now) Tokai Jazz Bass, and Epi T-bird limited. The things I love in this bass is the cool Vintage look and sound, but I certainly hate the volume and tone knobs. Overall, it's a decent P-Bass. // 8

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2011

Purchased from: GC

Features: I'm sure all the features have been covered ad nauseam. I bought the Squier P-Bass playset (black) w/ the Rumble 15 amp, etc. after my wife talked me into buying my first bass. The GC salesman told me it would be the most risk-free purchase considering I didn't really know what I was looking for...he was right. I'm rating this high because after 5 months of playing and comparing to my other 3 basses I've bought since, it is the only one I have no desire to modify. Stock features are great. // 9

Sound: I like/play disco, funk, classic rock, country, and even some jazz and punk. Seems fine to me, but I'm a beginner playing for myself and my instructor; no noise, tone knob is effective with a good range. Compared to other basses and guitars of mine with ineffective tone pots and noisy electronics - great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Neck had too much positive relief, action was too high, intonation was out. BUT REALLY - I can't expect a guitar made in Indonesia, shipped here in a conex on a boat, stored in some warehouse, and thentrucked to a store to sit in a box until I buy it to retain settings made at the factory when neck relief changes with the seasons in the same room. I watched a you tube video, read a couple of web pages, and had the neck (almost) straightened out with a sweet low action in around 30 minutes. Other than the adjustment, fit and finish is on par with any other painted solid-body. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Despite the presumed/reported low-end components there have been no failures. It keeps tune just fine. Strap buttons are fine; only replaced with strap locks to facilitate strap removal. Still have the stock strings on because they just work so well. I have replaced the strings on every other axe I have out of necessity. // 9

Overall Impression: I am an absolute beginner with bass and guitars in general. Shortly into my carreer, I tried a T-Bird Goth and thought it was worlds better. After my wife got me one for Valentine's day and I began playing it after 3 months on the P-Bass, I realized just how good this P-Bass is; certainly more suited to me/me to it. I have already made changes to the T-Bird, and also bought a Bronco that has been heavily modified, but this P-Bass has remained box-stock just because it works so well. There are many reports of spotty quality, and I didn't realize how different axes could be until I started to buy more. Considering some of the complaints with these Affinity P-Basses, I was lucky in getting a good one. If you have the opportunity to handle/play a few, and you find one with smooth frets and plays nice, you can't go wrong for your money. This is still the bass I pick up when I want to try something new, difficult, or just relax playing. // 9

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2013

Price paid: C$ 180

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Features: My Precision Bass was crafted in Indonesia in 2008 I think. 34' scale neck and 20 medium jumbo frets. Neck is rosewood. I'm pretty sure the body is basswood. Olympic white in color, very durable finish. The bridge is a standard four saddle bridge. The pickups are Duncan Designed Precision bass split single coil pickups, passive. All it has is a simple volume and tone setup. The tuners are just Squier clover style tuners which serve their purpose, I have never had a problem with them. The bass never came with any accessories of any kind. Just the bass itself. // 8

Sound: I currently run my basses through a Traynor BG-100 bass amp. Not a bad amp, I would certainly jump at getting something a bit better. This bass is well suited for grunge, punk, and some classic rock, which are styles I mostly play. The bass is a little on the brighter side, it sounds nice played with a pick for the punk rock. The bass did not have any feedback problems until recently, but I think this is caused from a grounding problem. The bass does not have much tonal capabilities, Pretty much just the Standard Precision Bass sound. This bass was my main bass until I could save up enough for a Fender bass, the pickups are nothing amazing, but they get the job done. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty good from the factory, I never had to get it re adjusted or anything. The pickups were set up fine, the action was good, the frets were not sharp or anything. It was pretty high quality if you ask me. The finish was very nice, very very durable. It only has a few small scratches after very very heavy usage and it still looks nice, I like the scratches on the bass, they add mojo and character. The wood is very hard to put a dent in, it took many hard hits but there is not one dent in the body, only a few on the back of the neck. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could easily withstand live playing. It is built like a tank. I never have to worry about anything coming loose, never have to worry about any problems with this bass. The hardware is still shiny, no rust at all or oxidization. The strap buttons are great, never had to tighten them or replace, the bass always stays where it should be. I would gig with this bass without a backup, the only problem is there is not very much versatility in the tone of the bass so I would probably have to take something else along for that. The finish is indestructible and I don't think it would ever wear off with lots of playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play classic rock, grunge and 70s punk rock, this bass is a great match for punk. I have been playing about 5 years. I also own 2 Fender Precision Basses, a Fender Jazz Bass 62' Reissue, a Fender Mustang Bass, Squier Tele Bass Special, Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass, Squier Musicmaster Vista Bass, Hofner Icon Bass, Epiphone EB-0, Epiphone EB-3, Epiphone Embassy, Epiphone El Capitan Acoustic/Electric Bass, and a Squier Cyclone guitar. I have always wondered If I should have picked up a Squier Jazz Bass at the time instead, but now that I have a Fender Jazz, I am happy with my choice, I always liked my Squier P and I know I got a good one. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably be upset but move on because I already have two Fender Precision basses at home. What I love about it is the durability and the quality. My least favorite feature is the pickups are not the best. I did not compare this bass to any other products. I just asked my parents for this bass for Christmas because I wanted a P Bass and was getting tired of the constant issues that Epiphone basses have. Squier is worlds apart in quality. I wish my P Bass had better pickups, a tort pickguard, thumbrest and ashtray bridge and pickup covers to give it a nice Vintage vibe and make it unique. // 8

Affinity Precision Bass Reviewed by: TeaMilkNoSugar, on april 29, 2013

Features: Features? Pretty much exactly what you would expect on any Precision. A big lump of wood with a long lump of wood screwed to it, a couple of pick-ups, some twiddly knobs for tightening the strings (did I mention it had strings?) a thing at the other end to stop the strings falling off, a couple of buttons on the body for some reason. I don't know what they're for but you could probably use them to attach some sort of strap so you can play standing up. In summary... It's a Precision. // 10

Sound: When I first got this bass second hand (but apparently never used, it still had all of the protective films on the pick-guard and pick-ups) the guy who owned it had tuned the E string to an upper Z sharp, perhaps he confused tuning a bass with anchoring the Titanic. I slackened off the strings and tuned it up and the sound was truly appalling, like an angry wasp farting in a biscuit tin. I was planning to use the bass as a "project" so I was prepared to chuck the pick-ups in the bin and replace them but it turned out to be unnecessary. I chucked the old strings in the bin and replaced them with an old set of Rotosound strings I had knocking about and the difference was amazing. Either the original strings were crap or they were stretched or a combination of the two. With the "new" strings on it sounds wonderful, plenty of that growl you would expect from any Precision. My only real gripe with the sound is the fact the tone knob seems to do absolutely nothing to the sound. I might get around to changing the pot and cap at some point or I might just twiddle the tone knobs on the amp (Ashdown EB180 by the way). I think it's unfair to award points on the basis of what a mildly abused bass sounded like so I'll score it post string swap. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As it was second hand I can't comment on the set up from the factory so I'll limit myself to what I found for myself. 1) Neck: 10/10 for the fit in to the body. If anything it puts my MIM Jazz in the shade. The actual finish on the neck (if there was any and I'm not convinced there was) was pretty awful and the wood was a bit insipid. Ultimately the finish was irrelevant as it was going to get a respray in a dark tinted lacquer. As I have already mentioned The bass was horribly tuned and the neck was banana shaped with the tension of the strings. When I slackened the strings the neck bounced back to straight as a die without so much as a tweak on the truss rod. One thing that is very noticeable is the difference in size between the frets on this bass and my Jazz. The frets are much smaller (medium rather than medium jumbo?) but it doesn't cause me any problems so... 2) Body: 10/10 for the fit and finish. It's heavy, fits well to the neck and has a lovely gloss black finish which can hold its head high against the finish of any other bass I've ever seen. 3) Pick-ups: Seem to be fine in terms of sound if a bit cheap looking. I've not fiddled with them as I don't see the need to. 4) Pick-guard: Horrible. Why do Fender persist with selling instruments with white pick-guards? Does anybody actually like them? Is it a marketing tool to get people to buy replacements for 40 a go? Oh well... It's black now. 5) Hardware: The bridge is fine and seems the same as any Fender but the rest is a bit shonky. The tuners are weedy and pathetic, the strap buttons seem to be held on with the smallest screws available, the string tree looks cheap and plastic (it is metal it just looks like it's plastic), the volume and tone knobs look cheap and plastic because they are. Definitely minus a few points for hardware but as I intended to replace everything with gloss black items it was all rather academic. I don't think the hardware is likely to affect the sound but it looks a bit naff and I'd have some doubts about its longevity. Does the tone control count as hardware? If it does it doesn't work. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this bass for a couple of months and most of that time it has been in pieces being pretty much rebuilt from the ground up with all new hardware so I couldn't exactly comment on the "out of the box" durability of the thing. I wouldn't worry about the thing falling to pieces but some parts seem to be spoiling the ship for a ha'peth of tar. The machine heads are held on to the headstock with two worryingly short screws, the strap buttons also suffer from short screw syndrome and the tone / volume knobs don't look like they'd stand much abuse. I'll give it 5/10 on the grounds that at least with a Precision there's not actually that much that *can* break. // 5

Overall Impression: As I have said I bought this as a *project* bass and as a friend for my Jazz so to a certain extent my review is a bit skewed by the fact there's not much of the original left apart from the wood and the pick-ups. That said if you think like I do that a bass is a fancy looking plank to hold the strings and the pick-ups together then even in its original form it's more than adequate for a first bass although perhaps a decent set of strings might be in order. I picked mine up second hand for 60 and at that price it was a bargain but at 170 retail I'm not so sure. An extra 100 would put a buyer in to the realms of something quite a bit better like some of the "Modern Player" basses so I'd hang on for one of them or seek out a second hand MIM bass which can be had for around the 300 mark if you look around. I've been playing for about 5 years mainly for my own amusement. I have an Ashdown EB180 combo which could make anything sound good and a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro which can make anything sound like anything else so the actual "raw" sound coming out of the jack socket is not a huge concern to me. As long as its basic sound is a good place to start from from and, subject to my concerns about the original string, it is, then I would give it the thumbs up but maybe try to get that price down nearer to 100 than 200. Mine is sitting in the corner all shiny and black and to be honest I've spent far more on black hardware than it was really worth but it looks awesome, sounds great, plays beautifully and I'm quite proud of it. Overall... 7/10 seems about fair. // 7

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom 9.6 Electric Guitars 08/20/2014