Classic Vibe Precision 50s Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 05/12/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Classic Vibe Precision 50s
It is a great match for the music that I play. It is better than most of the other basses I've played, including MiM Fenders and a Cort.
 8.8
 7.2
review (1) pictures (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Vibe Precision 50s Reviewed by: JD2k9, on may 12, 2011

Purchased from: Music Room

Features: This bass was made in 2008 apparently. It is Chinese and has a Maple neck with 20 frets and black dot markers. It has a basswood body, and is finished in Lake Placid blue. It has the much loved P-Bass body, but with the early 50s style pickguard and single-coil pickup. It has a Tele shaped headstock with open tuners, not sure of the brand though. It has the passive vintage-style single coil. The only problem with the features is that the finger grip gets in the way sometimes when you're picking the top strings. There are Knobs for volume and tone. The tone knob takes it from a bright treble straight to ground-shaking bass, and it has some pretty good sounds in between. There weren't any accessories apart from the Allen keys needed to adjust the action. It is pretty heavy, but that's not a problem :) // 10

Sound: I play anything ranging from Blink-182 and Green Day, to Muse, to System Of A Down. I play through a Laney RB5 (a very good amp also :)) and occasionally use a Big Muff. It is great for nearly everything that I play, and can get great sounds for everything that you want to play. The treble tone is great for RHCP-esque slap and picking, and the bass tone is great for things like SOAD and Muse and sounds best with fingerpicking. With the big muff, you can get a great tone for Muse. Big problem with the sound is that when you're not playing, there is a massive hum (Especially on treble) and it hums even more when im fingerpicking with my thumb on the pickup. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great from buying, and it was perfectly tuned when I got it. There weren't any dents anywhere when I bought it, and there isn't any now come to think of it. The neck is smooth to play on, although a massive problem with the neck is that the frets are pretty sharp on the edges, and it hurts to slide up the neck. The control panel has picked up fingerprints and dirt very easily, but I expected that from chrome. The bridge is pretty good for palm muting and the bass has pretty good sustain. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It seems strong, and hasn't dented or scratched much in 5 months. The strap buttons are pretty good. I think I could depend on it, and would gig it without a backup. I've used it everyday since I got it, and it hasn't gone out of tune once. It seems very durable. The Chinese really did a good job putting this beautiful beast together :) // 10

Overall Impression: It is a great match for the music that I play. I've been playing only since Christmas, but have been playing guitar for about 4 years before. I had my heart set on a Mike Dirnt bass, but when I saw this I played it and instantly loved it. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, but as a plan B if I couldn't find the robber to beat him to a pulp. I love the colour, the feel and the general sound of the bass, but hate the rubbish fret job on it. It is better than most of the other basses I've played, including MiM Fenders and a Cort. The only thing I wish it had would be a different pickup, like a split P pickup. If anyone wants to ask any questions, PM me :) // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ S-73 7.9 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014