Classic Vibe Precision 60s Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 02/27/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Classic Vibe Precision 60s
Good for rock or other music requiring a deep bass sound. I like to play different types of music from rock to folk and this bass will have a good stab at anything.
 9.2
 9.4
review (1) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Vibe Precision 60s Reviewed by: clitheroekid100, on february 27, 2012

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: Bought just 1 week ago. Fiesta Red. They say: - Body: Basswood - Finish: Gloss Polyester - Neck: Maple, Modern "C" Shape, Gloss Polyester Finish - Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5" (241 mm) Radius - Frets: 20, Vintage Style - Scale Length: 34" (864 mm) - Nut Width: 1.625" (41.3 mm) - Hardware: Chrome - Tuning Keys: Open Gear Tuning Machines - Bridge: 4-Saddle HiMass Bridge with Brass Saddles - Pickguard: 3-Ply Tortoise Shell/White/Black - Pickups: 1 Custom Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup with AlNiCo V Magnets - Pickup Switching: N/A - Controls: Volume, Tone - Strings: Fender Bass 7250M, Gauges: (.045, .065, .085, .105), p/n 073-7250-406 - Unique Features: Vintage Styling, Tinted Neck, Knurled Chrome Dome Control Knobs, Gold Squier Logo, Thumbrest, Synthetic Bone Nut // 10

Sound: Does what a Precision does ok. Loads of bass extension, possibly too much but it can be eq'ed out. Slightly short of thump and punch. Probably not the first choice for slapping but I don't so it doesn't matter to me. Initially I was a little disappointed with the sound but it does respond well to eq both through my amp and direct into a mixer & studio monitors. I haven't yet played at volume but suspect that this bass will rock. I haven't noticed any buzz or hum. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action needed a little setting-up as did the intonation especially the G string. This doesn't matter one jot because when setup the action is pretty good. The guitar finish is as far as I can see perfect. It stays in tune for ages and intonation up the neck is OK. All the hardware looks and feels good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything about this guitar looks and feels like quality. The strap buttons are solid and hold the strap well. The pots are sound & smooth. I'm sure this guitar will be good for years. I usually wear the frets away. There isn't much to go wrong and I'm sure it will stand gigging no bother. No pesky batteries to go flat either. // 10

Overall Impression: Good for rock or other music requiring a deep bass sound. I like to play different types of music from rock to folk and this guitar will have a good stab (with amp eq) at anything. I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz which is fantastic and my fav. between these two basses I've got all bases covered (pun?!). Both I prefer to My Ibanes ATK300 with its actives. I really like the colour and traditional shape which like the jazz just works. I dislike over-designed, trying too hard stuff. There are loads of good kit out there and this may be the bass for you. Excellent value but I may just replace the pickup with a Quarter-Pounder to get a more punchy sound. If you have any comments especially if you have changed the PUPs on one of these. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Tele Custom II 7.7 Electric Guitars 10/13/2014