Deluxe Jazz Bass V Active Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 08/20/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Deluxe Jazz Bass V Active
The Deluxe Jazz Bass Active V is a handsome instrument perfect for burgeoning five-string bassists who want active tone, or as a low-cost backup for any working five-string bassist. Features include an active three-band EQ with slap switch and a one-piece maple neck with ebonol fingerboard.
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Deluxe Jazz Bass V Active Reviewed by: Spaz91, on august 20, 2008

Price paid: £ 239.99

Features: Made in 2007. 20 mid/jumbo frets, ebanol fretboard. Brilliantly thing jazz neck. Neck is maple, body is basswood. I got this in olympic white, which is very sexy but it's also available in 3 tone sunburst and gloss black. Obviously Fender Jazz body. 5 string saddle bridge. Active electronics. Controls: volume, pickup balance/blend, stacked trebles boost/cut and bass boost/cut, mid boost cut and slap switch. 2 Single-coil 5-string Jazz Bass pickups. Standard Open-Gear tuners, (4-over / 1-under). No accessories included, had to carry it back in a box which I was a bit annoyed with. // 9

Sound: I play everything except (surprisingly) jazz and thanks to the active EQ I can make just about any tone I want without the use of a pedal. The action is a bit low and the strings are still very bright but despite this it sounds incredible with the mids cut and the slap switch on. I'll be honest though, I'm unsre as to what the slap Switch actually does, I heard it called a scoop switch so I assume it cuts the mid tones and it seems to boost the bass. The B string is very very low, almost out of the audible spectrum but I tune it to a D (so I don't have to keep switching tuning which is a pain in the arse) and like that it is brilliant. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is one of only 2 major problem I have with this bass, it is incredibly low, although it does make playing it very fast and easy it makes a lot of buzz on the lower strings. The finish on the body is white and so it does not show scratches very well, which is good, what is even better is that is that it doesn't scratch at all, I'm extremely clumsy and in the week that I've had it it has been accidentally smashed against the desk loads of times yet not one single dent or scratch, wheres are the finish in my previous bass crumbled like a cream cracker. The fretboard, ah, this is the other (and biggest) complaint I have about this bass. It is an ebanol fretboard which is salesman speak fro plastic fretboard, while this is good for me as the weather is schizofrenic where I Live and wood warped easily and it looks all nice and shiny IN THE SHOP. It is now very dull with a criss cross of millions of little scratches, after one week! So don't be drawn in by the shiny fretboard, though I do like the lack of inlays, it has markers on the side but none on the front. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this on stage without a backup, simply because that's a really stupid thing to do. But if I had to I wouldn't feel too worried. Like I said before this bass is extremely tough, the socket is very sturdy and it's hard for the the plug to get pulled out by accident. Its finish seems like it will last longer than me. This is a bass to keep forever, when you finally get a high end bass keeps this as a brilliant reliable backup (while your starter bass is customisation bitch). // 10

Overall Impression: I love this bass. Everything other than the two problems I mentioned (one easily fixable, one only cosmetic) is perfect. It plays everything well but rock especially well. If you're looking for decent 2nd bass with 5 strings and brilliant tone buy this bass! The only reason I haven't given this 10 is because 10 is reserved for the full Fender Deluxe. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Standard Strat 7.5 Electric Guitars 08/25/2014