MB-4 Skull And Crossbones Bass Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 08/15/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: MB-4 Skull And Crossbones Bass
Take this thunderous MB-4 bass guitar, add a skull and crossbones graphic, replace the dot inlays at the 12th fret with another skull and crossbones, add black hardware, and you'll have this sinister-looking, killer sounding special-edition bass!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.8
 7.9
 8.1
reviews (4) pictures (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
MB-4 Skull And Crossbones Bass Reviewed by: UltimateNirvana, on september 19, 2006

Features: Take our thunderous MB-4 bass guitar, add a skull and crossbones graphic, replace the dot inlays at the 12th fret with another skull and crossbones, add black hardware, and you'll have this sinister-looking, killer sounding special-edition bass! // 9

Sound: Nice heavy grungey sound great with distortion, I have a big Behringer Ultrabass BXL3000 300W amp and it sound great with it. You can play anything but the heavier it is the better it sounds! My distortion pedal is a $15 peice of shit Arion MDI-2 Bass Distortion pedal it sounds so cheap that it's awesome! It fits my style so I like it and the bass handles the crappy distortion very well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Nicely built, basicly flawless the only thing is the necks bows slightly, so you have to tighten it but this is rare. I haven't any big problems, the knob are sturdy the tuners are tight and I've had it for 6 months and only had to do very minor tuning it holds it's tune well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I play live (when I can get a gig) and have never had a problem with this bass, I totally depend on it and trust it with my life. The finish is just as shiney as when I bought it and it's just cool. Trust me all the ladys or dudes whatever you like will be wantin' to go home with you if you play live with this thing! // 9

Overall Impression: This is great for heavy metal, grunge, heavy punk etc. It's great with a lot of distortion. I've been playing for 8 year and have gone thourgh about 10 basses ranging from $100-$900 and this $200 bass is buy far the best. I'd buy it over and over again. // 10

MB-4 Skull And Crossbones Bass Reviewed by: mcr_freak13998, on january 15, 2007

Features: My MB 4 was make in Indonesia. It has a maple bolt on neck with a 34 inch scale and 22 medium jumbo frets. It doesnt't have chrome hardware but everything is black instead. The tuners are non locking. It has knobs for volume, tone and bass boost. It didn't come with a strap or anything so I had to buy one seperate.It has one P-Bass pickup and one J-Bass pickup with passive electronics. It has a black double-cutaway superstrat body with a skull and cross bones ont eh agathis body and a mother-of-pearl inlay of one at the twelfth fret. It has a standard 4 saddle bridge. // 10

Sound: I like to play hard rock, punk, and metal so the graphic suits me well at gigs. The original strings were nothing special so I replaced them with ErnieBall PowerSlinkies. The range of sounds was smaller than I would have liked from the factory so I just got an amp with more EQ controls. It has a rich warm sound but can also be distorted easily. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is some what low from the factory. The pickups were excellent form the start. The top and bridge are great.The nut was kind of crude but it is still really good. It didn't have any flaws what'so ever when I got it. The Finish can be a pain to keep clean but it is worth it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very rugged and can stand up to regular gigging and the hardware has not even loosened a bit. the strap buttons have never failed and I have confidence in them. I can depend on it and I use without backup regularly. Overall it is a very strong and durable bass. // 10

Overall Impression: Although I like this bass if it were stolen depending on how much money I had I would either replace it with another or buy a Fender. It is a good instrument for me and it fits my music and style of play. I chose this one over the other Ibanez and Peavey basses I tried and compared it to because it has a cool graphic and sounded better with my music than anything else I tried. I have been playing for 3 years and had one bass before this one. It was also a Squier.I do not regret anything about it. // 9

MB-4 Skull And Crossbones Bass Reviewed by: UHATEIT, on march 31, 2010

Features: This bass is made in Indonesia. It has all black knobs and hardware on it. The bass looks Killer with the Skull on the body and the skull again on the 12th fret in pearl. The pickups are passive with a single pickup on the bottom and a double pickup on the top. // 9

Sound: This is my first bass, I bought it because it was cheap and I liked the look of it and figured I would see how bass playing goes just for kicks. I am using it ith a Line 6 Spider III 15-watt and it plays fine and has a good bass tone but would probably be much nicer with an actual bass amp. The sounds vary a lot especially with the Line 6 which has the cool tone buttons on it to give you more tones than a simple bass amp would do. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was used and at Guitar Center but the guitar tech set it up for me and he was a bass player so he rocked out on it and it had a good sound and tone to me. He adjusted everything to his suiting and since I knew nothing about bass it's been fine ever since and works well for me. The guitar had no flaws and was a steal for me at $100 as they were $230 new I believe and this had not a scratch on it! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I am not good enough to play live, but I would imagine it would work well live. The hardware is good wuality and seems like it is holding up quite well. The wood is good quality in my oppinion and the tuners have stayed in tune very well without adjustment needs from basic practicing and playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play basically everything from rock to pop. I enjoy playing metal and this thing has some kick to it and sounds great! I have only been playing for a year and a half, but on this bass for only 1 month but it suits me well. I find bass to be easier to play than the regular electric guitar. I tried this out on the used rack and thought it was a great deal, and the guitar tech I had been working with on my electric Ibanez was a bass player and mentioned it would be a good starter bass for me and when he played it he rocked out really good and adjusted it for me for free so I couldnt pass it up! I love the design and the look of it, the skull makes it extra mean :) My favorite feature is the skulls that it has and I dislike nothing about the bass at all. I compared it to a Dean that they had that was brand new and super cheap at $140 I believe, but this one looked cooler and sounded better as well. I have no complaints, just want to get better on it! // 9

MB-4 Skull And Crossbones Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 15, 2011

Features: This is a relatively no frills bass. It has passive P/J pickups, tone control, pickup blend knob, and a volume knob. 21 frets on the rosewood fretboard. For the beginner this is more than enough. // 8

Sound: Surprisingly enough this is a somewhat versatile bass. This is due to the pickup blend knob and the tone control. I can get a big bright and twangy sound or I can get a mellow Jaco-style sound. The pickups are not great but they do okay. The bridge pickup makes a lot of noise. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass is so difficult to play that I can't even put it into words. I've had a setup done and everything. The action and tension are messed up. Badly. Maybe I just got a bad bass but it's terrible. // 1

Reliability & Durability: This bass does not seem very durable. I wouldn't dare to take it on stage. The strap buttons are fine however that's just about it. // 1

Overall Impression: This was my first bass, therefore I don't use it anymore. I play mostly heavy styles of rock, lately I have been exploring the progressive rock genre. I currently have a Rickenbacker 4003 and an Ibanez GSR205. I play those basses often and they are much, much better. This is a good first instrument, but you're going to want something else as soon as you can make it happen. // 5

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Bullet HS Telecaster 7.7 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014