MB-5 Modern Bass Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 03/11/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: MB-5 Modern Bass
For all you players looking for a twist to your bottom line, look no further than Squier's five-string MB-5 bass guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 7.5
 7.7
 7.6
 7.8
reviews (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
MB-5 Modern Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2006

Features: Made in 2001, this indonesan made 5-string Squier bass has a 22 count medium jumbo frets on a maple, C-Shape neck (polyurethane finish) that all fits nicely with it's agathis, sleek contoured body. For colors, it's your choice of pewter grey metallic, black cherry burst (what I picked), black metallic, cobalt blue metallic, which all are a polyurethane finish. For the pickups you have 2 single coil Squier stock J style pickups. Control wise, you have 1 master volume, 1 pan pot, and 1 master tone located about 1 inch from the rear pickup to 1" from the saddle. The tuners are set up as 3-over 2-under Die-Cast mini tuners set up like some 5 string Fenders basses. When I got mine I dind't get any straps or strings or any kind of case but that's not to say your local music shop wont chip in. // 8

Sound: I play lots of older Metallica, an Nirvana, and rock oriented music. I'm usely useing a Behringer amp with this and it's a pretty good mix. The bass itself has a very slight hum sound to it (but doesnt't affect the songs sound when playing), but very unnoticeable unless you're picky about that. The lows could be lower but still has a great quality expecially on the 5th string however you wanna tune it. The highs are its best quality expecially if you like bright an rich tones. It does have a distint sound in a good way (expecially if all you bass players wanna stand out). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It comes factory stock with "Fender Super 7250-5M guaged at .045 to .125. The controls knobs are knurled chrome dome, it has dot position inlays on it's 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, and 22 frets. Everything fits together nicely no looseness to rattles of any kind. But just incase for you picky ones if you wanna tighten your screws feel free. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is amazing when you pick it up. Its neck is great an very easy to play on. I've been playing mine heavyly an consider it my main bass. The one thing it feel needs is better strap buttons, so don't use any straps with wide gaps or that have been on an previous guitars with larger buttons. This is great for practise or Live playing or even as a starter if you wanna start with a 5-string model. The finish is great an I don't have any chips or major scuffs aside from the back with always gets minor scuffs due to playing. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great bass for rock in general. It works well for grunge era an some of the older speed metal stuff I've been playing for two years and would take this bass over many other brand name basses for it's value, comfort, looks and overall play ability. This thing is pretty solid for any model or brand at it's price range. If your looking at that bass on the rack an are short a few buck, take this thing, I can almost garente you'll like this bass for it's feel an sound. // 10

MB-5 Modern Bass Reviewed by: Robbgnarly, on march 11, 2011

Purchased from: second hand

Features: Made in 2003 I think in Indonesia.I don't know what wood is used for the body, but it is not plywood. 5 string, 22 fret maple neck. 3x2 tuner set up. It is the pewter finish I think. Kind of an "Ibanez" style body. 2 jazz style single coils, 1 volume, 1 tone and a pan pot for pickup selection. 5 sadle top loading bridge. Realy reminds me of the old Fender Heartfeild DR bass in looks. Even got a hard case with it(hey it may be cheap, but I like to protect my instruments) // 7

Sound: The sound is ok at best, even the Vintage modified squires sound better stock. The sound is useable but if you think of playing this live I seriously suggest a pickup swap. I am not a bass player, so I only run this through my PA, through my friends GK RB400 it sounds pretty decent, just a little thin. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The components seem well made. The body fits together nicely. The neck was bowed a little when I got it and the low B strings intonation was out. I set the action very low and no string buzz. For the price I paid I knew there was gonna be some work to do on it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think this is a reliable bass. It a 2003 and still has all the original parts, and they work flawlessly. I would not hesitate to play this live, except the stock pickups realy aren't that good sounding. The quality is good but not graet. It stays in tune very well also. // 7

Overall Impression: This is an ok bass. The neck is comfortable, and the entire bass is pretty light weight. I use this for practice only, not live gigs, if it had some Bass Lines the sound would undoubtedly be impruved. I would only suggest this to the beginning bassest, extreamly budget consious person, or the modder thet likes to tweek anything they buy. It is also a very nice playing guitar, that sounds mediocre. If someone stole it I'd be pissed then get a LTD Phoenix. Its just not that great of a bass. // 6

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Standard Strat 7.5 Electric Guitars 08/25/2014