Mike Dirnt Precision Bass Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 12/16/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Mike Dirnt Precision Bass
It's a way-cool take on an early '50s Precision Bass, with classic looks and special star graphic designed to the oft-airborne Green Day bassist's own specifications, with a huge, gnarly punk-pop sound that effortlessly punches right through the thickest guitar attack.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Features: 6.7
 7.3
 6.9
 7.7
reviews (3) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Mike Dirnt Precision Bass Reviewed by: starcaster13, on january 28, 2008

Features: I'm not sure when it was made, or where, but I know that doesn't matter when it comes down to the great sound. It has 20 frets, and it's solid top. It has an agathis body and a rosewood fingerboard. It has the body look of a strat, and the headstock looks like a tele's. The bass has standard open gear tuners. The controls include a main volume control, and one tone control knob. Pickups are 2 single-coil pickups. It comes with some adjusting tools I believe (I forgot and I think I lost them). // 10

Sound: I play rock, and this bass is made for rock. You can Slash around on it without worrying if you'll do damage or not. I use my guitar amps and effects, and they make the bass still sound great. The sound is adequately full. With the treble all the way up it gets buzzy, but treble isn't a dire importance with basses. All effects mix well with this bass, so you can make it sound however you want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups are perfectly fine, and work nicely too. The bass was put together very nicely, everything lines up, and everything is sturdy. Being black, dust is noticable, but it is very easy to clean, even under the strings. This may be due to the cause that the strings are a bit high on the fretboard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't play Live, but this is a very durable bass. It's been dropped before, and there isn't any damage. There's no way this bass would fall because of the strap slipping. It would take real force to break off the strap holders. The finish stays on, but I wouldn't really know I have only had it for a while. If you needed a dependable bass with an affordable cost, this is it. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass is perfect for rock, especially since it's a great rock bassists design. I've played guitar for a couple years and decided to try out bass and this was a great choice. I love how it's so simple. There's only a couple tone/volume controls and you don't need to know much about basses to get it to sound right. It would be cool if they made one with 5 strings. That would rock. // 10

Mike Dirnt Precision Bass Reviewed by: jumpaside, on october 28, 2010

Price paid: C$ 199

Purchased from: Long and McQuade (used)

Features: For Features its not bad for the price (I know how much it is brand new and the price I got it is greatly different)It was made in Indonesia like most squire basses I've played. It has 20 frets which was somewhat dissapointing to me because my other bass has a 2 octave neck (24 frets) but I don't even think Mike Dirnt would dream of using any high notes. The finish that I got was nice and recognizable. When I saw her in the store I knew what it was right away. Mine is the cream coloured with black pickguard/star. The body style is based off a 50's model P-Bass that has P-Bass pickups as aposed to the lipstick ones of the time. It also looks like a telecaster which is pretty cool. The pickups are passive and not too bad though I think I might save up for SeymoreDuncan basslines and maybe a Badass Bridge. // 7

Sound: I am in a metal band mostly playing originals. I have 2 basses as of now. This is a good backup bass/ bass I use in Standard and my other one in A. I also have a sweet spot for playing hard rock and punk and this bass does it well. The amp I am using is a Line 6 Lowdown 175. On the Grind channel is sounds great and on the rock Channel (ampeg model) it sounds like a good rock bass sound. (I use the distortion for my metal band, I also have other effects with the Line 6 but right now their irrleivent) I found the action isn't the way I would like it for slap and pop but its possible to use whats there. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know if someone changed the action scince I bought this bass used. But it is a little high for my liking but nothing I can't get used to. I was told when I first started playing bass that the more metal in a bridge the better the sound. I forgot to see how small it was when I bought it because I was distracted. I do think I will put on a badass bridge but why fix what is not broken. I found the tuning stabilty isn't the best in the world it gets quite a bit out of tune more then I would like to admit but if you play a show I bet it will be in tune well enough for the whole gig. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure this bass would be great live. It is lighter then I'm used to because for about 6 months I've only used a 5 string and nothing else. I havn't had her long enough to play a gig with it. I think the hardware will last for a long time. If my band decides to only play in Standard or not some abstract tuning I would bring this bass to a gig with out a back up. Like I said if one song is in A and the other one in Standard. Well I guess both basses are coming. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and this bass will do most genres like punk metal and rock (I jam those with other guys plus along with my tunes all the time). I've been playing for about 3 years now and I have a Stagg bass, Line 6 amp, and I think this Mike Dirnt bass is my favorite piece of gear, but still I do wanna put seymorduncan basslines into her. I wish I would have known that for this bass new is about $100 more then I bought it for, but hey its $100 I could use on them basslines. God forbid this gets lost or stolen I'd probably buy a new one. It is cheap and reliable. I love the way the bass looks and feels, I wish it had a few more frets even 22 would have been nice. The same day I was looking at this bass I saw an Affinity Jazz Bass (squire) but when I saw the star I knew whos bass this was and forgot all about the other ones. I do wish this bass did have a better bridge but I think I'm just being too picky and hard on it. For $199 used for me or $300 brand new I'd suggest this bass to anyone looking for a good solid bass. // 7

Mike Dirnt Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2011

Features: Like the pickguard. The tuners are cheap, and do not hold a tune for long. The finish looks okay, but mine was scratched as the control plate screws on the front came out during shipment, letting it dangle and scratch the front of the bass up. I asked for a discount, and was allowed a small amount. // 3

Sound: The Precision pickup sounds okay, but this is a one trick pony. If versatility in tone is your game, look elsewhere. It does not sound bad, It just does not possess much character, just your basic P Bass tone. Might be better with a set of upgraded pickups and potentiometers. As you can see from my review, everything from top to bottom on this bass is bottm dollar grade. What did I expect for the price, right? Well, a little more. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Completely unplayable out of the box. High action, poor intonation, neck slightly misaligned. Had to adjust the truss, bridge, intonation, and loosen the neck bolts, and move the necks slightly to get the strings to line up properly. The two screws for the front control plate had fallen out, and the control plate had bounced around inside the box, creating a bunch of scratches next to the bridge. The fret ends are sharp, and will need to be addressed. It is a very uncomfortable neck for that reason. Wood shrinkage/fret sprout is worse on this than any other I have experienced. Lack of a tummy cut on the back make it somewhat uncomfortable to play. // 2

Reliability & Durability: The two screws for the front control plate had fallen out, and the control plate had bounced around inside the box, creating a bunch of scratches next to the bridge. The Classic vibe series have better feeling necks, and finish. To get this beyond a bedroom axe, the pickups, tuners, bridge, will need to be upgraded, as it does not stay in tune for long. You get what you pay for. Save your money and buy the Fender version if the Dirnt is what you need. // 4

Overall Impression: Meh. Don't waste your cash. This might be good for beginner who does not need a great tone, or an instrument that stays in tune all night. A good bass as a platform for many mods, could be better at that if they used at least an alder body, not Agathis, which cannot even hold a screw properly. // 3

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014