Precision Bass Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 10/17/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Precision Bass
The guitar is always noisy no matter what you are doing.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.6
 Features: 7.6
 7.5
 6.4
reviews (19) 33 comments vote for this gear:
Precision Bass Reviewed by: afirocker00, on january 21, 2005

Purchased from: Music Mans Music Depot

Features: It has 3 knobs, a P-Bass pickup tone knob, a Jazz bass pickup tone knob and a volume knob. 20 frets. The tuners are 3 leaf clover shaped and look really nice. Very nice bass, very pleasing to look at. It was made in Indonesia. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was perfect when I got it. Nothing had to be adjusted at all. Only complaint is the pick guard gets scratched kind of easily but you can't notice unless you're really staring at the pickguard up close looking for flaws. Besides, that doesn't affect the playing any. The controls seem to work fine. They turn very easily and well. I took the plastic off of the pickguard and it made it so the knobs can go up and down, I kind of liked it better when they stayed in place but oh well, no biggie as long as they stay on, which they have so far. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The finish is really nice. It's a sparkly gold color and it seems like it's here to stay. Hasn't chipped or anything, thank God. The tuners are so reliable, it never comes out of tune when I play it. The strap buttons are very solid and don't show any sign of coming off at any time in the future. The headstock is a little to sensitive though, I accidentally hit the wooden headstock on one of the locks on my case and it made a tiny little dent. Kind of a disapointment. But oh well, I'll get over it. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that I'm very impressed. I would definetely buy from Squier again but would rather buy from Fender if I had the money. As I said, I've experimented with lots of music and it sounds nice with all, seeing as the versatility is very wide with the jazz and P-Bass pickup knobs. I love everything about this fine instrument. It makes me proud to own such a beautiful, well built, fine sounding guitar. This was my first bass, I had been playing guitar for about six months and found the transition from guitar to P Bass very easy. Definetely consider this bass, you won't be sorry. // 10

Precision Bass Reviewed by: ilovejulie, on february 14, 2005

Purchased from: Long and mcquade

Features: A 2004 Squier Precisions bass. Made in Indonesia, very crappy you'd expect right? Wrong. It's truly amazing. 21 jumbo frets, the body is made of alder (I don't care what the hell its made of it all sounds the same). 2 controls: 1 master volume and a tone control. Pickups just add to the good sound. It came with no gig bag, honestly I was hoping for one. Just came as itself, no strap no nothing. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very good surprisingly, the facotry set it up well. The pickups needed a little adjustment, I had to tighten them becauase they got a little loose. Not many flaws on this guitar, I love it. Nothing was loose except for the pickups at first. I chose a nice cream coloured body with a white pick gaurd, looks amazing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand anything, you can probably throw it off a two story building and still pick it up and start playing again. I would definitely use this baby live, without a backup. The hardware will last forever. And for the strap buttons, they are probably never gunna need tightening or anything, they cut through like hot butter. The finish will last as well. // 10

Overall Impression: For my type of music it is perfectly perfect I just love it. I've been playing for about 3 years maybe, I own another 4 string but it is a hamer (it also sounds good). This guitar is my favorite so far for sure. I wish I would have asked if they had a five string or a special edition because damn they look sexy. I would definitely buy this guitar if it was stolen. The thief would have a good time with it. I love how it looks and sounds and I hate how dirty it gets with all the dust on the pick gaurd. Buy this bass! // 8

Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2007

Features: I own a Squier P-Bass made in 2003 from Indonesisa. It has 20 jumbo frets, and the neck is really fat, (which can get kind of annoying when you play up at the first fret). It has a blue finish, with a white pickguard. It has a simple bridge, which makes string changing very easy. The tuning posts get loose though, and ternd to go flat after a good playing session. The controls, one volume, one tone, are simple enough, but they get scrathcy after a good amount of use. The pickups are great, the one split in half, the covers tend to become loose. // 7

Sound: I play numetal, alternative metal, and some classics and a little jazz. The sound is great for whatever style you want to play, and sounds great behind any guitar. I use a Fender 15 watt bass amp, and it gets a little staticky sometimes, but that stops when you start playing. It has a full sound, and is great in the low and high ranges. It is really good for slapping, and soundgreat when you do. I t also sounds great with a distortion pedal, bass or not, and I use a Boss metal Zone somtimes along aith it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass came from the factory in great condition, and barely needed any set up at all, except for the fact all the strings were flat, but that's not to hard to fix. The pickups were set up great, and sounded great right out of the box. The only flaw was the finish was scratched down the back, and the neck was a little loose(its a bolt on) but other then that it was great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is indestructable. I have thrown this guitar across my room, and dropped on many hard floords and it still plays in great shape. I depend on this bass with my life, and I think it can take anything you can throw at it. The strap buttons are indestructable too, and I would efinitely use it without a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this guitar is great for any style, it sounds good for rock, metal, jazz, country, whatever you want to play, it can handle it. I have been playing for three years now, and this is the only bass I own, and the only one I will ever buy. I love the great tonal range you can get, but I hate that the tuning posts are so loose, but they can be replaced. Overall, I think it's amazing, and I suggest it to anyone Who plays the bass, beginner or expert. // 9

Precision Bass Reviewed by: elementwood89, on august 27, 2004

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This was a great deal, it came with a gig bag, the cable, a 15 Wat Fender amp with a 5 year warranty, a guitar strap, a video for learning bass, and a bunch of Fender Stickers. The neck is made of Maple (very strong) and it has a rosewood fingerboard. It has 20 Frets, and a split coil pickup. The pickups not the best, but it works. The only controls on the guitar are volume and tone. The rest you do on the amp. The amp is 15 Watt Fender with an 8 inch speaker. It's features include Volume, Low, Mid, and High Tone adjustments. It can hook up to headpphones, and computers, as well as keyboards. It's not the best amp, but it's built to last, with a 5 year warranty. It works for practice at home or playing small parties. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I've read other reviews and seen complaints about the finish, but mine hasn't even scratched. It played nice and the pickups worked fine, I never had to tap them and nothing ever came out delayed. I haven't adjusted it all and think it sounds fine, but then again, I've only been playing about 7 months. No flaws that I found what so ever. It is definatly strong. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd play it live, but if your going to be serious about it I would either get a new amp, or get a new guitar and amp. I've played it through a friends amp and it sounds ok, but still not as great as some others. The strap buttons don't move at all and I wouldn't worry about dropping it. I could use it live and be comfortable with it, in fact, I already have. It's definatly durable, just not the best sound. // 8

Overall Impression: Great for the money. I've read a lot of other reviews complaining about the quality of this guitar but you must realize 2 things. A) It's made by Squire so no it will not be as good as the Fender version. B)It's great for the money, 400 dollars gets you an amp, the guitar, straps, cables, videos, and other accessories. I'd definatly recommend it to Beginner/Intermediate guitarists. I own it, still play it, and am satisfied with it. // 8

Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2005

Purchased from: Let's Jam (Local Merchant)

Features: I'm not sure of the year, but if I were to venture a guess I'd say between 2002-2005. This sweet baby was made in the good ol' USA. It has 20 medium/jumbo frets. 34" scale on a rosewood neck with maple fingerboard, and a c-shape. Solid adler body. Black polyurethane finish. Standard 4-saddle bridge in chrome. Traditional P-Bass body. Passive electronis. 1 volume, 1 tone knobs in chrome. 1 split single-coil pickup. Standard open-gear tuners. No accessories included. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up well at the factory. Everything was nicely adjusted, but needed a little tweaking to suit my personal needs. All in all I say Squier is doing well making basses. Everything was flawless on this bass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live yet, but it definately appears to be a tough bass. I've dropped it, had it fall off a stand, and it's still in one piece, playing nicely. The hardware is strong. The buttons were solid, but I put Schaller strap locks on it. I can definately depend on it. I wouldn't use it without backup. Not because I don't trust the durability, but because I wouldn't be playing that many songs that would require it. It has a good black finish with a swqeet white pickguard. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal, but it definately fits into the punk and thrash I'm branching out into. I been playing for 2 years with the gear listed above. If it got lost or stolen, I'd be upset, but I'd probably eventually replace it. I love the fact that it's a bass, and it's not super expensive. I compared it to Fender's P-Bass, as well as the Silvertone bass. I chose this one because the Fender was much more expensive, and a friend gave me his Silvertone bass. // 10

Precision Bass Reviewed by: IPLAYBASS, on june 29, 2004

Features: This bass was made in China. It has a 20 fret, laminated neck. There is a tone knob and a volume knob. This guitar has one split "pick-up". I can't remember the wood type but whatever it is its cheap. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The people at squire need to be shot for making this guitar. I swear everything was wrong when I bought this and still is. I have had this thing adjusted so many time I should have just bought a new guitar, but Im a retard. The "pickup" sucks and sounds bad no matter how you adjust it. The finish on this guitar is just about worthless. It comes off like someone just colored it on with a marker. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I'm going to make this short and sweet. I don't trust this thing at home and would definitly not take this anywhere live. Like I said before, the paint comes off without even touching it. // 2

Overall Impression: Pure crap from the Fender branch. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I would feel bad for who ever stole it. I personally think this guitar makes a better sticker display or at least that what I use it for, lol. // 2

Precision Bass Reviewed by: ass, on august 04, 2004

Features: I got a standard Squier Affinity P-Bass, metallic red, Made in China. Nothing fancy. 20 medium frets, etc what you'd expect on a Squier. I bought it on its own but with a ritter gig back rather than buying the whole Squier Bass pak as I was poor at the time. It's pretty good for what I paid and what I play. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I played the bass in the store and everything was setup well, so I jus took it home like that but in the gig bag. Only thing I could say thats not really that good with the setup is the tone/ volume switches have a tendency to come lose and fall off, but thats nothing major. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I havent done any proper gigs with this as I'm not in a band just yet, but it does well if I'm practicing with a mate or on my own, etc. I'd only bring another bass along if I needed a different tuning for a song. The finish on the body is good (only has one crack) but it does get knocked about quite a bit (I'm clumsy). And to look after the bass a bit more I replaced the strap buttons with dunlop straploks which help a lot. The bass overall should last for quite a while, however the bridge does need to be readjusted to lift the strings off of the frets every now and then. // 8

Overall Impression: This bass is good for begginners, but not more much than that. If you are more advanced than that either get a Fender jazz or P-Bass. I've only been playing about 6 months, and its still ok for me, but hopefully I should get a Mark Hoppus Bass early next year. If it was lost, broken, etc now I'd buy a Squier jass bass for now, unless I've got the money for the Mark Hoppus Bass. In a way I do regret not trying out any other basses, because I would have got a Squier jazz bass instead, but oh well it does the job. // 8

Precision Bass Reviewed by: GNR_Duff_rules, on november 14, 2005

Features: Mine is a 2005. The bass has 20 frets and the neck is 24 inches long. It has a double-cutaway, solidbody. It is a metalic red. The fretboard is rosewood but, the neck is maple. There is a port to adjust the neck angle like on all Squiers. It has a split-coil pickup. It's got only two controls, volume and tone. Neither are labeled. It came with a case, strap, cable, amp, headphones, headphone adaptor and tools to adjust the neck. It was quit the bargain, probably because it was made in Mexico. // 9

Sound: It has a great sound. With the Fender Rumble15 amp it can get a range of sounds. It is perfect for a full Rock n' Roll style sound. It can also get the higher pitch, bright sound I like to have for tapping. With that same pich you can make out notes great when strumming (I am aware those are not normal thing to do on a bass). I use a DigiTech BP50 processor that can farther higher or lower the pitch though, with to much distortion the guiar gets major feedback. Otherwise it get nice sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass came from the factory perfect except for one thing. The port for the cable loosens over time and came cause sudden loss of feed to the amp. It is best to tighten this often. Otherwise it is great and the pickups are adjusted with ease. One thing that was odd about mine is instead of going out of tune flat, it goes sharp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built to last. I bumped it up aganst my dresser (by accident) and it took a chuck out of the dresser and was not damaged. Other then maybe feed being lost (unlikley if you take good care) it would be prefect for a show. I'd put my full confidence in it. Though some times the strap falls off but I think thats more the strap's fault. Otherwise it is very reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: If this guitar were stolen from me I'd hunt down the person who did it. This is a great guitar, perfect for a beginner. For a better players, I would not recommend it, because those people should by better. It totally matches a regular Fender in quality. It is a perfect match for me because of it's flexablity in sound. Highly recommended! // 10

Precision Bass Reviewed by: BassPikey, on february 25, 2008

Features: I have know idea where this bass was made, but it came to me in good condition, so it was looked after on the way. It has 20 frets, medium-jumbo, with a rosewood fretboard. The body is made of alder, and the neck made of maple. It has a metallic finish on the P-Bass body. It has passive pickups, with volume and tone pickups. I don't know what makes the pickups are, probably squire like the bass, and they are split-coil. It has shamrock tuners and came with a gig bag. // 7

Sound: It has a Growly sort of sound which is very good for the sort of music I play, anything from punk to heavy metal. It is noisy whatever it is doing, but their isnt much variety. I'm using it with an Ashton amp, which is ok but is only a practice amp. Tone nob doesn't do much like it did on some of my bass but you can't have it all. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was amazing, apart from one fault. The jack has to have the lead put in perfectly or it doesn't work. Finish is amazing, and was surprisingly all in tune when it was delivered. The controll's are a bit lose and the allan key they gave me to tighten them they didn't fit. Pickups where fitted fine, not lose atall so I can rest my thumb on one easily. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass is indestructeble. my previous bass got chipped to bits within the first week, nothing on this one yet, and I've had it 3 weeks. Hardware should last a while, probably wont need to replace it for atleast 2-3 years. didn't try the strap buttons, because I put on my strap locks asap, but got the buttons are hard to get off. took forever. I would not use it without a backup, just incase. I probably wouldn't need a backup, but I would take one just incase. I think the finish will last a while. // 8

Overall Impression: Its a good match for my style of music, which I've said earlier is anything from punk to metal. this is my 2nd bass I've owned, but I've played more. my first bass was a rubbish cruiser/crafter jazz bass. I would definately buy a new one if it was stolen, as I love the growling sound so much, but the jack is so annoying. I compared it to every bass I've played, my old one, a Epiphone EB-0, some type of Ibanez and a bunch of other no-name bass's. I wish it had a good jack. // 8

Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 17, 2011

Price paid: A$ 240

Purchased from: Cash Converters

Features: This bass was made in Indonesia. I have no idea how old it is, but, I'm guessing 2008-2010. It's got 5 strings, which was my initial attraction to it. (I wasn't sure whether to review this in Standard P-Bass or Special P-Bass. It says it's Standard on the headstock.) It has 22 jumbo frets (a little too big for me initially, but I've gotten used to it.), standard butterfly tuning pegs and open gear machineheads, a maple body and a rosewood fingerboard. It's got a really pretty metallic red finish and a white pickguard, which, I feel, goes really nicely with the pale wood of the headstock. It's got two pickups, one standard P-Bass pickup, one standard J-bass one. It's got two volume knobs and one tone knob (which I feel doesn't change the tone enough for my taste). I got this on it's own, with no accessories. // 9

Sound: This bass compliments any style I throw at it. It does classic rock without a sweat, jazz with a bit of set up, it does funk incredibly well, and also heavy stuff if I really push it. The fifth string sounds so powerful, it's like my amp will burst. The overall tone of the bass is a nice, round tone, and does especially well on lower frequencies, but at the same time sounds bright at the higher end. I wouldn't reccommend slap on it, as slapping on a 5 string is difficult, but it also sounds nice. I've just been using my small Peavey practice amp with it so far, but it sounds really nice on it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is the only area this bass fails to excel in. The action was perfect when I got it, the pickups were just fine and the finish has pretty much been invincible ever since I bought it. The only problem was that THE TUNING PEG FELL OFF! Now, this was sold at Cash Converters (Australian equivalent of a pawn shop), so I'm guessing that it was damaged by its previous owner (bastard...), but it still shouldn't do that. I got the whole machinehead replaced, and it's solid as a rock now. Also, the wood seems a bit soft. I knocked the headstock on another guitar during a gig, and it made a fairly noticeable dent on it. Also, the jack comes loose every now and then, but that's an easy fix. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass just FEELS solid to me. Like, if put in a cage match against another instrument, it'll come out smiling every time (except maybe against a tuba). It's also pretty heavy and has a reliable feel to it. The hardware definitely won't be spontaneously combusting anytime soon, so I'm happy with it. The buttons are solid as rock. I would definitely use it in a gig without a backup. I wouldn't even need a backup for alternate tunings, because of that fifth string. The finish is possibly made of diamond/titanium, because it never scratches. Ever. // 10

Overall Impression: In my current band, we're playing progressive rock stuff, and this bass is the all-rounder you need for that sort of music. Great on both low-end and high end, can deliver a "growling" tone for heavier parts. Also awesome for my funk side-project, because it can also be really bright on the high end with some tweaking. And it's CHEAP! Perfect for me and my crappy pay. // 9

Precision Bass Reviewed by: FbSa, on august 13, 2004

Features: Made in the United States of America, 20 Jumbo frets, single split pickup, alder body, maple neck (C-shape), rosewood fingerboard, dot postion inlays, pack includes, gigbag, cable, Strap, Frontman 15B Amp (Fender),Instructional video. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem I ran into was that the E, and A strings were a bit touchy on tunning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will hold as long as you maintence it after playing, worry about your strap though because my strap buttons cut through it like hot butter. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, blues, and jazz. It met up to my rock and blues, but it fell short of my jazz playing. Been playing for a year of acoustic that's about the only other gear I have. I wish that it had a built in amp, and a jazz pickup. If something were to happen to this guitar I would not hesitate to go out and purchuse this same guitar. I love its sound, yet I hate the touchynes of the tunning. It's best feature is its dot position inlays. I compared it to a few others, but they were way out of the price range for a starting bass player, yet I also chose it because of it's high quality. (And 'cause it's a Fender owned company.) // 8

Precision Bass Reviewed by: BassDude2737, on july 28, 2005

Features: It made made in 2002 in Mexico I think it's the cheapest model that there is so. It has 22 frets. It has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. It is a laminated top. With a alder body, transparent finsh and a strat style body. It has a string through body bridge (which I had to lower the action on to make it even remotly playable), and passive electronics. It has a volume and tone knob. The pickups are a standard P-Bass pickup config. (two singal coil pickups staggered next to each other on the body). It came with a gig bag and a Crate MXB10. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action at Guitar Center was horrible you had to press down way to hard. The pickups had to be raised the day that I bought it becuase they were offset at weird angles. I think that they did a crappy job on wiring up the pickups becuase I've only had it a year (mind I've been playing it a whole lot) but they are starting to make thye signal distort when I pluck the strings in a certain place. However I've been told that thats pretty common for P-Basses to do. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Like I said, probably from live playing, the pickups are starting to go, but it seems to take it fine besides that. The hardware is probably the most solid part of the guitar. I have tried everything to make the damn strap buttons hold I even bought a pair of Marshall strap locks. However the screw stripped in the hole so I would need to drill I new strap hole. It a pain. I would like to have a backup in a gig playing this bass, however it seems to be fine as I have played a lot of gigs with it. // 4

Overall Impression: I really love the way this bass plays now that I have tweaked it. However I feel sorry for the poor beginner that buys this bass and can't figure out what's wrong with it. If it were stolen I would save up my money and buy a different bass, this is just basicially a backup bass. The only thing that I love about it is the way that it feels it really is fun to play. The only thing that I wish it had would be a J-Bass style pickup and more quality pickups. If the pickups were better I would be just fine with continuing playing it in my musical career. // 6

Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Features: This bass was made in china probably about 2 to 3 years ago. Its got 20 frets and is full scale. 2 control's tone and volume. It is the Affinity series Squire P-Bass. // 6

Sound: I have played all sort of music on this bass and its very versatile even jazz and funk. I use a 15 watt hiwatt practice amp and am impressed with the setup. The sound is good. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well from the factory the action is fine and I was a complete begginer when I picked up the bass a year ago and Is comfortable to play. I'm no expert but have had no problems with pickups. The bass was perfect as far as I know when I got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe my guitar will hold up for live performance I've had only one problem when one of the controls fell of but it was loosening for weeks. It was simpler even for me to repair and I don't count it as a repair. The strap buttons are solid but with a live performance I would always use buttons jut incase. Hardwear looks like it will last quite well. I would use it in a gig without a backup if I had confidence in my strings I'm sure it wouldnt let me down but id need something else ready quickly if a string snapped (I'm not changing a string in the middle of a set). For a more advanced bassist who is on a budget it would be a good backup bass as its reliable, tough and a good worker. The finish is good so far even though I havent been the kindest user. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for any rock styles and can be used for jazz if set up correctly. I've been playing bass and this one for a year. This is my only bass so far but am hooked on precisions and am saving p for a Fender. If this bass was lost or stolen I would not be guaranteed to by another one as with lower range instruments quality is not the same for all basses in the range. I think I have found an exeptionally good one and I would not buy another bass without playing it and finding the same qualities or other good qualities in it. What I love is its value for money and its look. What I hate is that squiers have a bad reputation. I compared it to all the basses in a large music shop in liverpool just down the road were the beatles started there career, they did not have a Lennon Rickenbacker so I had to settle for this lol. I chose this one because it was the best of the bunch for my price range. I with it had more tonal control and more frets. // 9

Precision Bass Reviewed by: 315Excuses, on january 30, 2006

Features: It's a Japanese 2003 4 string model with 20 medium frets, rosewood fingerboard, alder body and considering this is around 140-ish new, 70 ain't bad! The guy said he bought it 2 years ago & took it out of the case twice so no visible damage at all and came with a hard case so, for 70, I felt I got a pretty good deal. // 7

Sound: I play various styles ranging from metal to punk to emo to even classical (not as bad as it sounds I might add) and for a beginner's bass it's ok. However, for what I want/need, it doesn't quite cut it. It gives it a go thou, no question, but the pickups are noisy and fuzzy when high volume is needed so I'm forced to play at a lower volume otherwise I'd drown out the guitars in my band, seriously. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: As it sat in a case for about a year, it needed a good set-up, which it got and for a couple of weeks it was ok. To be honest it still is but I keep noticing buzzing from the machine heads. When I got it set up too, the guy told me that there wasn't much wrong with it apart from the pickups (and the stickers I have on it). Apart from that, I hav noticed that the volume and tone knobs are loose but that hasnt affected my playing that much, so far. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Personally, I wouldn't gig with this. I don't trust the pick-ups or the volume knobs. It's ok to practise with but when you're playing a gig, there's more energy in your playing and I don't think it could handle it. But then again, what do you expect from a Squier? // 4

Overall Impression: A beginner's bass guitar, that's all really. I got it because I needed a bass fast (due 2 my previous bass being wrapped around some total head) and eBay seemed like the obvious choice. I had a Ibanez SR-300DX and I loved it but couldnt afford to get another (and still can't) but for 70, it's alright. I can live with it until I get me a SR-300DX again. // 6

Precision Bass Reviewed by: woodenbandman, on february 21, 2006

Features: This made in Indonesia bass is a very good starter series. I found a friend in its four saddle bridge, it's 20 jumbo frets (they seem huge to me) and it's blue finish. Coming with everything you need to play in a package, this bass is great. At least, for what it is. As a starter instrument, it has nauseatingly simple controls; one volume, one tone, one jack. The pickup sounds good, but with a lack of dynamics in its tones. That being said, it is the cheapest on the market, and by far an outstanding value. It's small, tame, amp can pull you by, but to be in a band, you need better gear (starting with a better bass). // 8

Sound: This bass can support my style of classic rock completely. The unit does get noisy at high treble settings, but hey, it's bass. The sound from it kinda leaves lots to be desired from the top end, but is great for pounding out hard rock, though slap and pop sound a tad forced. I don't have any bass FX, but through my Turbo Rat (read my review) distortion pedal, this bass can bang pretty hard, though wah is out of the question. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure what the former owner did to this bass, but it looks like it was a good instrument. The figerboard is surprisingly good for a guitar this range, and the action suits my taste perfectly. All of the guitar's hardware is good, but some of the frets pop out a fraction of a milimeter, not a huge deal though. The pickup could stand to be a tad higher at the outward edges, but it is a pbass, so I don't expect that kind of thing. For you jazzers, light rockers and the like, a jazz bass is the way to go. Its polyurethane finish is solid blue on mine, and I like that just dandy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: While representing a great value, I would not risk this guitar breaking on me. It seems that once I had aggressively twisted the pots, and they grounded and cut off. I would have to have a backup for this one. The strap buttons are not the greatest, but a 0.35$ pair of washers can solve that. The machines and bridge look like they were built by machines for use by machines, and look very solid. // 7

Overall Impression: I would recommend this package to any bassist starting out, or one with little money. I have been playing for a little under a year, and I am still not hampered by its limitations. In my pedal collection I hold a Marshall Compressor, a Dunlop wah, a Boss OS-2, and a Pro Co Turbo Rat. If this bass were lost or stolen, I would buy a different one, or, seeing as how I always wanted to, build a bass. I would really like Squier to come out with a 5 string version of this bass. That would be swell. // 7

Precision Bass Reviewed by: acytonestd69, on march 13, 2006

Features: I'm not sure about al the stats about this bass off hand. I know that it's American made, bound rose wood fret board, I believe a maple body, with 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knob. The pickups are stock so I assume they're crap. As in I don't know if they're passive or active. The body is solid black, and the pick guard is white. That's the best I can do. I only play bass for recording purposes. // 8

Sound: It blends well to the music style play in (I play alt. metal). I play it through a guitar tube amp 'cause I'm still saving up for a bass amp. It's surprisingly quite. I turn the volume and the tone all the way down giving it a really old school sound. I keep the neck pickup volume all the way up. It has a great warm sound. I don't realy mix bright with bass. I like have bass like really blending in while sticking out, or just really raunchy like old Disturbed. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I honestly can't answer this question accurately because my skills and style are drawn more t guitars. I got the bass and it was pretty well set up. It was in brand new condition, I assume the bridge was properly routed. The action is remarable. The only problem I find is I'm not that used to dropping the D on bass so it becomes a hassle and makes fret buzz due to lack of tention. Other then it being a Fender product I didn't see anything really wrong (I'm a strong Ibanez advocate). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't trust Fender on stage. It's a reliable bass and what not but I don't risk what don't trust. Then again that hasn't stpoped me before. I play it with out a backup for one reason. I have only one bass. I use it mainly for recreational and recording purposes. My friend has a vintage Strat and it looks in pretty god condition (dry sarcasm). Fender's don't have that good aged look to me (I repeat, to me). // 7

Overall Impression: I play alt. metal/hard rock. I've been playing guitar for about 5-6 years. Bass - about 2 years now. I primarily use Ibanez. If this bass got stolen or lost, I'd think about buying that again or going to Ibanez. I love the fact it was ready for playing the day I got it. I hate the fact that it's a Fender product (it's nothing personal). My fav. feature is it has a real good sound recording. // 8

Precision Bass Reviewed by: TCkarlos, on may 18, 2006

Features: I believe that it was made, or crafted as it says on the headstock, in China in 2004. It has 20 medium/ jumbo frets and a maple neck. The nicely cutaway alder body has a black 'Polyurethane Finish' and is a nice shape. 2 chrome tone and volume comtrols, 1 split single-coil pickup and a rosewood fretboard. It came in a package with a great little 15 watt Fender Frontman amp, a terrible strap, a Fender lead and bass instruction book. // 7

Sound: My style is alternative rock but I also play this with some acoustic songs and it suits them OK. It has quite a full sound and is a little noisy. It can vary from a bright sound to a very dull one. It sounds OK with my Behringer distortion pedal and is great for a 1st bass. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up quite well but totally covered in shrink wrap which is annoying and you have to take off the pick guard to remove it all. The controls were a bit loose but came with good strings which have lasted me 6 months. But I have found that the finish dents very easily and is quite poor. // 6

Reliability & Durability: So far this guitar has survived one big gig and 4 months of jamming, the hardware seems pretty solid though and will last. I have used it at a gig without a backup and I will again. The finish again though is not very good. And I have constant problems with the tone and volume knobs coming loose and the cast pieces inside it breaking. The neck is starting to come away from the body and the scrathplate is cracking. But it's not like I thrash it around or drop it much. // 5

Overall Impression: I have been playing just 6 months but already feel that I have outgrown this bass. It is a great beginner's bass however and was very easy to learn on. If my knowledge had been more advanced at the time I would have bought the J-bass model or an Ibanez. Although it's starting to fall apart, I just can't help loving this bass. I think if it were stolen I would move on to a Jazz bass or a Jaguar. It needs to be more durbale but overall it's a great 1st bass. // 7

Precision Bass Reviewed by: krymson, on august 22, 2006

Features: This bass I'm assuming was made recently, in china. It has 21 frets like most Fender basses with jumbo frets and a maple fretboard. It has a white laminated top, with a black pick guard. I'm not exactly sure what the body is made of, but I'm guessing mahogny cause it's fairly heavy. it's got a start style body. It has a volume knob and two tone knobs. It has non-locking tuners and came with an amp, starp and gig bag. // 8

Sound: It's pretty twangy sounding but that's just the strings. This is mainly a starter guitar, that's not really gor anything other than serious playing. I'm using it with the amo it came with, It got a dull sound that doesn't have much variety at all. This bass is fine just for bigginers. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a bit low right when I got it. The pickups sound fine though. The top finishe is fine, doesn't scratch easy. The brigde is fine the nut isn't too loose, which is a probleme some people have with these type of starter guitars. As far as I could tell there weren't any flaws other than the action being a bit low. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is guitar would withstand live playing because it's built like a brick, doesn't scrath easy. The hardware seems like it'll last fine, except the strings, wich is obvious. The strap buttons are pretty big which will keep the strap on nice and tight. I would use without a backup. I highly doubt the finish is going to wear off anytme soon. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music and this doesn't cut it. Like I said this is a starter guitar only. If it were stolen or lost I would probably get a B.C. Rich bass because it fits my style of music better. I really like the reliability of this bass but the sound is just way too dull. I would not recomend this for recording or live playing but just for beggining. // 6

Precision Bass Reviewed by: yEsTeRdAy`, on december 21, 2006

Features: The P-Bass I bought has a metallic blue alder body, a rosewood fingerboard (20 medium jumbo frets), and a maple neck. I'm guessing it was made in Indonesia because I don't have the bass with me, so I can't check. I also don't know what type of paint they use on it, but it really sucks. The paint seems to chip off very easily even though I treat the bass well. The electronics are passive, and there are 2 knobs. One is for volume, and one is for tone (which I believe is broken because it has never done much of anything for the 3 years I've had this bass). There's nothing special about the stock pickups that come with this bass. I'd suggest getting new pickups if you stick with this bass. The tuners are standard open gear tuners. No locking tuners or anything. And the bridge is a standard four saddle, with nothing special about it. When I bought my bass it didn't come with any extra accessories, but I'm sure you could go to a local music shop and get a discount off of a nice gig bag. // 6

Sound: I play mainly blues, British invasion, and classic rock. These styles fit this bass perfectly. Another style of music that also fits this bass is punk. But forget about playing slap on this bass because the sound is quite dull. I've used this bass on multiple amps. Some ranging from $1000 to the one I own (a Rogue RB-50) which is really cheap. It is very noisy on a few high end amps I've tried it with, but not on the lower end amps. Strange right? The only sound I've been able to get with it is a dull, mellow, bassy sound. Somewhat similar to an upright acoustic bass. You won't be able to get much of any other tones on this thing. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very nice and low when I bought it, but I had to make some adjustments due to buzzing and rattling. The pickups were adjusted somewhat poorly so I had to set those up too. Besides that, the bridge and tuners were nice, but they could be better. The finish really lacked. Like I said before it would chip off very easily. Another thing that I had to fix (and I'm still trying to fix) was a broken pickguard. After a while chords wouldn't stay in the input jack. So I fixed it but after a few weeks the pickguard started to crack around that area. Now the jack is all loose and is about ready to fall out. This would be an easy fix if Squier made all there pickguards like the rest of Fender's pickguards, but they don't. So now I have to cut out the correct pickguard holes and drill holes in it's body so I can screw the new pickguard down. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This bass will withstand probably a few performances. But I'd never take it on stage without a backup. The hardware seems like it'll last a decent amount of time. Probably long enough so you can save up for a new bass. And I'll say it again, the finish is crap so it'll wear out with even the slightest bit of playing. // 4

Overall Impression: I believe you should get this bass if you're lacking money, and you want to start out and practice at home. I've played multiple gigs, and have been in multiple bands, and I would not trust this bass outside of my house. So leave it at home if you get it. The one thing I love about this bass is the price. It's really low and all. The thing I hate is how it's made of average or crappy parts and that it lacks tonal variety. If I were you, I'd even scrap the idea of getting this bass and start looking at Ibanez's. I've tried some out in the same price range and they seem 3x better then the Squier P-Bass. // 5

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014