Standard Jazz Bass Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 07/02/2015 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Standard Jazz Bass
The Squier Standard Jazz Bass features many Fender J-Bass appointments including an off-set waist body, ultra slim fast-action neck and full-range bi-pole pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Features: 8.3
reviews (8) pictures (3) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: pacificblue, on may 03, 2005

Purchased from: Gak

Features: This bass has an agathis body, rosewood board with 20 frets, passive electronics and a string-thru bridge. It has the usual jazz bass selection two volume and one tone knob. It's all Squier hardware, obviously! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from the factory wasn't bad, a little higher than I'd like but still playable. The intonation was also pretty good. No complaints about anything apart from the fretwire; some of the frets seem to have been hammered in at an odd angle. It doesn't affect the sound or the playability, and it was only noticeable when I had a close inspection, but it's just a little thing that could have easily been avoided. The rest of the hardware seems solid enough, it stays in tune and nothing rattles. The neck is the best feature about the bass, it's the classic slim jazz shape that's a dream to play. The fretboard wood itself is rosewood, and is a nice smooth and even bit of wood. Overall, very impressive. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would easily withstand live playing, and it has done so on several occasions. The finish is quite nice, it shows up fingerprints a lot but it's well applied and there are no drops or blemishes. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of funk, reggae and slap. This bass can handle all of those easily with its wide range of tones. My bass teacher played this bass and said that it played just like an American jazz bass, so with a few hardware modifications I will have a superb quality bass for much less money. My favourite feature is the playable neck, but it is let down by the slightly offset nature of some of the frets, just a minor aesthetic thing but still. I chose this bass because I liked the range of tones, and I needed a bass with a rear pickup because of my playing style. Overall I'm very impressed, and for the money I have played no better bass. I cannot tell the difference between this bass and most of the Mexican jazz basses I've played. A good beginner and intermediate bass. // 8

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: The_Next_Flea18, on june 06, 2005

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well at the factory, but I had the action lowered slightly. The pickups were fine and the bass was put together very well. There was nothing wrong with the bass when I first got it, I only adjusted it to my personal prefrences. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play a large variety of styles, and this bass fits them all well. This was the first bass I got, I got it a little after my 14th birthday. I compared it to a similar Squier P-Bass, an Ibanez GSR200, and an OLP MM2. I decided on the Jazz bass because the Ibanez felt clumsy in my hands, and it had a thinner neck and better weight than a P-Bass. If it was stolen, I would probably buy another one. I really like its neck and light weight, and I like the Walnut Satin finish. All in all, I would highly reccomend this bass for a beginner or second bass. It is extremely durable and reliable. // 8

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2004

Features: Green. Made in Indonesia. 20 frets. It has passive electronics and 2 pickups; 3 switches: 2 tones, 1 volume. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The only thing I noticed is that the jack they gave me with the bass sounds not so good, no other bad things. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems this bass will last a lot of time. It seems I can depend on it but, pay attention, I have it just since 3 days, and I didn't try it yet in a live performance. // 6

Overall Impression: As you can see in the first lines, it is a jazz bass used for punk-hard rock music. I play the guitar since 3 years, I have An Ibanez GRX70. I decided to buy a Squier because I like fenders, in particular Fender basses, but I didn't have the money to buy an original Fender. I like Guns n' Roses, Iron Maiden and (it's true) Ramones. My favourite bass player is Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), my favourite guitar player is Slash (Guns n' Roses). // 8

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: HotHotHeat, on december 21, 2004

Features: Squier Standard Jazz Bass. Rare, discontinued golden finish with white pickguard. 2 Fender pickups. 3 knobs, 1 volume, 2 tone. Made in Indonesia (pretty sure). The store priced it at $300 but I talked them down to $200. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly. Nothing is loose, nothing is damaged. Perfect condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a little heavy, so buy a good, comfortable strap for it. It's actually pretty good live. When it's cold the G string goes out of tune sometimes, so watch that. The finish is nice, but smudges sometimes, especially on the pickgaurd. I would use it without a backup, because it's pretty reliable. With a lot of playing the finish would wear a little. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing 2 years and this bass is great for punk, jazz, and rock. I wouldn't lose it, let alone get it out of my sight (because of the rare color). I love everything about this bass. If I had more money I would've got the Fender version at the time I bought it, but I'm glad I picked this one because with just a little adjusting this bass sounds even better than the Fender original. // 8

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: illegaltender, on july 05, 2006

Sound: I mainly play funk rock, blues, rock, punk and pop. I play through a high-5 home entertainment set. I must say that the high-5 set is not a bass amp however it produces a resonably good tone. The sound is not as smooth compared to a Fender Jazz Bass. however for this price it is reasonable. This bass is very versetile. By setting it correctly it can sound punchy or mellow. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The ation and pickups were just perfect. The chrome hardware is pretty new. Good news for people who play standing up. The strap buttons are solid. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This bass will withstand live playing. Hardware will definately last. The strap buttons are solid (chances of strap falling off probably matches those of strap locks). This bass is ever dependable owned it for 6 months and it plays like it was brand new. However mine being satin finish I doubt the finish would last over 5 to 6 years. // 8

Overall Impression: This bass does everything that I need. I have been playing for about a year and a half. I own a Gibson SG Voodoo, Yamaha Pac 112. Compared to the satin finish of the SG Voodoo this feels a tad bit sturdier (however the satin on the sg looks better). If this bass was stolen I would probably get a Fender japan jazz bass. I compared this bass with a squire Delux P-Bass as well as an Epiphone Thunderbird Gothic. I choose this bass for its versatality. The other 2 basses are good but they both have very similiar tonal qualities and lack versatality. This bass is fantastic for its price. // 8

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2006

Features: The Squire Standard Jazz Bass is very similar to a Fender Jazz Bass. It has an agathis body, and a maple neck, complete with a rosewood fretboard. The width at the nut is 1.50". The bass' scale length is 34". It has the standard Strat shaped headstock, and standard open-gear non-locking tuners, which seem to be very high quality, since mine don't go out of tune as often as expected. It has the average dot position inlays, and a fast-action neck, complete with 20 medium-jumbo frets. It comes equipped with Fender Super 7250ML bass strings, chrome hardware, two single-coil Jazz Bass pickups, and your standard 4-saddle bridge. It was originally introduced in January of 2001. It has 3 knobs total, a neck pickup volume knob, a bridge pickup volume knob, and a master tone knob. Both pickups are passive. // 9

Sound: The two pickups on this Bass are wonderful for the price you pay. They seem rather high quality to me, and they get amazing tone. This bass can get rather loud depending on what kind of amp you have. Even when it gets to be pretty loud, it still sounds amazing. The Fender Super 7250ML Bass Strings it comes with get great sound, as well. The bridge helps, as well, and the bass itself has great sustain. If you're like me and sometimes play without an amp, it still gets good sound. This was my first Jazz Bass, so I wasn't sure what sound to expect, but I was amazed with how good it sounded. It's heaven to my ears. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in perfect condition when I bought it. It has an absolutely gorgeous paint job, mine is the Antique Burst, which costs an extra $15. The pickups were set just right for me, everything was just perfect. Asolutely no flaws on mine, though I'm not sure about the rest of you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If you're young and have a localpalooza nearby, this can go good with Standard C tuning. I would use this live with my band, except I am getting a Warwick. The hardware is absolutely wnderful, none of it is loose. The straploks seem very good, and I haven't had to replace them. The bass as a whole seems very stable, I would definately play this at a gig. The finish is simply gorgeous, and I don't think it would wear off for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I tend to play metal with Standard C, but that's my band for you. The tone of this bass goes pretty good with it, but I'm getting a Warwick anyways. I've played bass for about 7 months now, haven't replaced this yet. I don't think I would buy this again if it were lost or stolen, because I almost have enough for said Warwick. If I wasn't saving up fr the Warwick, however, I would most definately buy it again. I really enjoy the neck and finish on this. They feel great to me, and the pick-ups are absolutely amazing for me, and I enjoy them very much. I can't really say anything bad about this bass, I just love it too much. I played a B.C. Rich Warlock bass on a Crate bass amp before I tried this one out, but the Warlock didn't feel as nice. All in all, I give this a 10, it feels nice, gets great tone and volume. If you don't have too much money, try and get this. I chose it due to it's feel, so next time you're at your local instrument store give this a try if you're a bassist. So in short, she's a gorgeous bass, so give it a shot, it's well worth the price. // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: rsallstar13, on december 01, 2008

Features: The Squier by Fender Standard Jazz Bass has 20 medium jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has an agathis body and maple neck. Comes standard with 2 Single Coil Jazz Pickups and a standard 4-Saddle Bridge. The finish is antique sunburst with a Tortise Shell pickguard. It comes with standard open gear tuners. // 9

Sound: This bass has 2 Volume controls and 1 Tone control. This gives a lot of variety to the sound this bass makes. The standard pickups on this bass are alright. It has a very rich sound to it. The pickups are not bad, but a little bit noisy. All in all the sound is very good but obviously not a Fender. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is a little high but not too bad. Eventually I am going to lower it but it's playable how it comes. The pickups were also adjusted pretty well. My bass did not really contain any flaws. Everything on mine still works very well after owning it for about a year. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yes this bass is very very durable whether your just playing it at your house or playing gigs. I would probably play this bass without a backup because it seems very durable. I think this bass would be perfect for anyone Who is playing gigs and is worried about their bass breaking. All in all, I think this bass is going to last a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this bass was a very good buy for the money it costs. I would recommend this bass for a beginner or intermediate player on a low budget like me. Obviously this bass does not play like a high end brand bass but that's not what your paying for. If you want the sound of a high end bass you probably wont find one for the price of this bass. // 9

Standard Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Mamurra, on july 02, 2015

Price paid: € 270

Purchased from: Mitros Music

Features: This Standard Jazz Bass by Squier was made in Indonesia. Unfortunately, I cannot remember when, because I do not have the documentation that came with the guitar anymore. However, since I brought this bass back in 2011, that should serve as a terminus ante quem for you. It must have been made somewhere in the naughties; the guitar looked fresh at the store when I got it. Its neck is not so fat, I would say it is medium in thickness; quite easy to handle, even though I am mainly an electric guitar player. It's body is laminated alder, it is nice and bright, yellowish in color. The neck is adler, too, but it is solid. It has the awesome looking skunk stripe in the back. There are two volume knobs on it for the two passive electronics, which are Duncan Designed. There is also a tone control knob. The tuners, I guess, are Squier's own, there is no name written on them. It is a pretty basic guitar, yet it has served me well over the years. One thing I do not particularly like about it is that it is quite heavy. Keep in mind that I had only electric guitars before this one, and this beast can wreck your back if you let it (though it is nothing really to be afraid of, no yoga exercises are recommended). // 8

Sound: Firstly, I like playing heavy metal (mostly Metallica). Some of their songs I have learnt to play on it, but I would suggest that this is not really for that kind of music. On the other hand, for indie music, for instance Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, even Arctic Monkeys, it is great. Sadly, I do not have a bass amp yet, so I use it with my Marshall MG. It has a bright sound, you can hear all those little subtleties in it, which is I why I would argue that it is suited best for less aggressive music. The bottom line is, it is a Jazz Bass! Even the name hints at what it is aimed at (even though I have never played jazz on it, and I am and will remain only an admirer of that genre...). Sometimes I put the distortion on on my MG. I noticed that this bass can shriek like crazy. I would not suggest doing distortion with it, it would really compete with the electric guitars in the band (talking from experience here). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: No problems here, the guitar was well set up, and I had no problems with it since I bought it. I have not had to adjust the pickups. The factory (or the shop), did a great job in this regard. I did not have really high expectations, but I would have spotted it rightaway if the guitar's quality had been less-than-desirable. I have to admit that there is a little dent at the top of the first fret, but I cannot remember if I did that or if it was like that at the shop. Memory fails me on this one (although, if I consider the things I put this guitar through, I would say it was my fault). // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has withstood a few gigs, so it is good for live playing. I have to admit that I have transported it quite a few times now without a case, and somehow I even managed to smash it to the floor once, but it still looks like brand new - without exaggeration! It is robust, built like a tank, no backups needed!. Ordinarily, I try to preserve my things in mint condition, but it somehow happened so that this Jazz Bass existed in harsh conditions a few times, so to speak. Yet there is still no rust appearing on it, which I am grateful for and I try to make up for my misbehavior by not letting such things happen anymore. // 10

Overall Impression: If you are an avid indie music listener, and you would like to start playing the bass, this is a brilliant first choice, I would argue. For metal, as I have said, not that great. I assume it is good for jazz, too, and other kinds of genres which are more experimental, but this is only an assumption. I have been playing the bass since 2011, before that I started playing the guitar in around 2007. I love the fact that it has been so reliable over the years, the tuners are great, the guitar stays in tune for long periods of time. As I have said it is robust, it does what it should, and that's that. I recommend this as a beginner's guitar, but more intermediate players will like it, too, given their budget does not let them go wild guitar purchase-wise. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ SA-105 7.3 Acoustic Guitars 11/16/2015