Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Review

reviews (5) pictures (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Reviewed by: Bloodbuzz, on january 16, 2012

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Features: Made in Indonesia in 2011 (I think). - 20 Medium Jumbo frets with White Pearloid Block Position Inlays - Maple neck Rosewood fretboard - Passive Duncan Designed pickups (neck split, bridge jazz) - Stacked Volume/Tone controls Nice pickups. The stacked controls can be annoying though. You might adjust the volume by accident when you're trying to adjust the tone or the other way around. The inlays are nice. The bridge and tuners are nothing remarkable. // 7

Sound: You can get a lot of sounds out of this. You can use just the split pickup or the jazz pickup or both to get a wide array of sounds and tones. I haven't played it with any effects, but it doesn't really need any. It sounds great compared to most of the other basses in this price range. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little higher than I am used to, and I played with it low, so it's probably about average. There are a few flaws. The open A string rattles from the nut, as mentioned above the volume/tone controls can be finicky. A few little blemishes on the body, but they are not very noticeable. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with it yet, but as far as I can tell, it's solid. The pickups could use some upgrading if you wanted to. Same with the bridge and the tuners, but the stock ones are fine. It should be able to last for a while (I hope). // 7

Overall Impression: I play (almost) every type of music. It gets good sounds for Rock, Punk, Jazz, Funk... I haven't been playing for as long as most people on here, but I think this is a great bass. I had owned a Yamaha RBX170, and this blows it out of the water. If I lost or got this bass stolen, I would replace it (if I had the money to, that is). I played at least fifteen other basses at store and this one felt and played the best, in my opinion. In this price range, this and the other Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe basses are the way to go. // 7

Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Reviewed by: \m/snoogans\m/, on september 24, 2010

Purchased from: Kennys music

Features: This bass was made in 2010 in Indonesia, it has a very comfortable agathis body, jazz style maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and 20 medium jumbo frets. Vintage style bridge and machine heads. This bass doesn't have the bells and whistles of it's Fender brother which suits me fine. The pickups are a P/J hybrid and seem to be good compared to other Duncan Designed pick-ups I've heard. The sound is controlled by Concentric volume and tone pots, the tone pots have ten indents which hold them quite firmly in position which is handy and saves from accidental knocks while changing volume. // 9

Sound: It suits my music style perfectly, I play punk and hard rock. I play this bass through a Marshall MB150. The split-p pick-up seems to have all of that P-Bass thump you would expect and the single coil tends to pick up a bit too much string noise and hiss when the tone control is at the brightest setting, so I roll is back to about 7. For tone connoisseurs this bass may not have the tonal range you want, but really, what do you expect for a 250 quid bass. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box this bass wasn't really playable. The neck was bowed forward a little too much, the action was too high and the intonation was quite a fair bit out. The concentric knobs were put on too close together on the neck controls and turning the tone control would catch the volume knob and turn it down. After a few adjustments I got it in perfectly playable condition. (If you're not comfortable with making adjustments to the truss rod take it to a tech, I can't stress this enough) There were/are a few little problems with the finishing as there is some slight discolouration (not rust or oxidisation as far as I can tell) on a few of the higher frets. Under the lacquer on the back of the headstock it looks like there's a little fingerprint smudge, but that's not noticeable from more than a few inches away. On a good note, the rout for the jazz pick-up is very clean, the finish on the body headstock and neck is consistent, the nut is perfectly cut, the bridge is perfectly aligned with the neck, the neck and frets are well finished and there is no sign of fret buzz. I would advise to get a set up from the shop when buying. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This bass has been well played the last few days and it does seem like it will stand up to live playing. The hardware looks like it will do its job sufficiently, but I will most likely replace them with higher quality parts in future. I will gig this without a backup since it's the only bass I have in standard tuning now, but it seems like it will be solid enough. I have only had this about a week so far so I can't really judge just now. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impressions of this bass is that for the price it's a cracker of an instrument once it has had a proper set up. I've been playing bass for almost 9 years now and have owned a large range of equipment and this is probably one of the best basses I have owned, it is better than my old Yamaha BB424 and cost 150 less. For the price, this bass could have easily been a 10 had it arrived in its current playable state. If you can get this for around 250 with a full set-up I say go for it. // 8

Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 02, 2012

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: - Made in Indonesia in 2011. - 34" scale, 20 medium jumbo frets, white pearloid rectangular inlays - Solid Agathis body with Polyester finish with Maple neck & Rosewood Fretboard - Jaguar body with standard 4-saddle bridge - Two concentric controls, each control the tone and volume of a pickup - Duncan Designed pickups, single coil jazz pick up at bridge, split single coil pickup in the middle position. // 9

Sound: I play througha Fender Rumble 15 bass amp. The bass is capable of sounding like a Fender Jazz Bass or like a Precision Bass. It has a great range of tones and can really growl. I play mostly Beatles. While it cannot sound like a Hofner, it does a decent imitation of a Rickenbacker 4001 for some of the later songs. When played by better hands than mine, it shows off very nicely. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up required the truss rodd to be straightened and the action lowered. Pickups are finely balanced. Not a flaw otherwise in the finish. It holds its tuning perfectly (better than some more expensive basses I fooled around with) and the intonation is spot on. I still have the original strings on it (normally I change them as soon as I get home). // 10

Reliability & Durability: The bass could be dropped and is solid enough to withstand it. I have owned it for 1 year. The hardware seems solid, the strap buttons secure and I would have no hesitation taking it anywhere. It has gone gigging with a friend and handled it perfectly, infact he has asked if he could buy it from me, but I do not want to part with it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is not an expensive bass BUT it plays above its price range. My two complaints are that the neck likes to dive and its overall weight. It is visually a beautiful bass with lots of versatility. Perfect for those not sure if they want a Jazz or Precision. I compared it to the Squier Jazz and Precisions, but this one was more versatile than either, seemed to fit my body better and looked five better with its black body and matching headstock (I wish more Fenders/Squiers had the option at least). I have a Hofner Ignition at home to handle most of the music I play, but if the bass was lost or stolen I would be sorely tempted to get another simply because of its tonal range. // 10

Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Reviewed by: danhardy, on june 04, 2012

Purchased from: soundslive.co.uk

Features: Model Name: Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special Made in: Indonesia Color: Crimson Red Body: Agathis Body Shape: Jaguar, so it has a sleek offset-waist body Body Finish: Polyurethane Neck Shape: "C" Shape, ultra-slim Number of Frets: 20 Fret Size: Medium Jumbo Fretboard: Rosewood Neck Material: Maple Neck Finish: Polyurethane Pickup Configuration: S/S Bridge Pickup: Single-Coil Jazz Bass Pickup, Standard 4-Saddle Middle Pickup: Split Single-Coil Precision Bass pickup Special Electronics: Active Bass Boost Circuit Controls: Volume 1. (Precision Bass pickup), Volume 2. (Jazz Bass pickup), Boost, Master Tone Tuners: Non-locking No accessories included. // 8

Sound: Firstly I have a crappy 26W Watson amp which doesn't so the bass any justice, however I have tried it on several occasions with much better amps which showed off a lot more of its potential. I enjoy a rich deep sound, which I'm not sure it really can do. It has an active bass boost, which is great, but it can tend to saturate the amp very easily. It only does this on the lowest string (obviously) but this can sound pretty bad when the 3 highest strings are playing fine, you move onto the lowest string an the amp saturates. I don't tend to use the bass boost often for this reason, perhaps people with bigger and better amps could play around with it. What it does do extremely well is for that funky/jazz sound. Turn the Precision volume down and the jazz pickup up, play with the tone enough and it sounds fantastic. Slapping and popping are thoroughly enjoyable on this bass. Overall I would say that it exceeds in the funky/jazz side (as mentioned) but unless you have an amp that can handle the lower bass boost then its not much better than other cheaper basses without the fancy electronics. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Now's a good time to mention that the reason its cheaper is because its an ex-display, so it's not like its fresh from the factory. Still from what I can tell it was assembled fine, however the strings don't wind well at the head. The neck is extremely smooth and feels great to handle. Only real problems are at the back, the plastic covering for the battery and the panel to get to the jack socket have been poorly put on. The panel is too small for the hole cut and you can see white glue patches behind it, looks very ugly. It is also pretty scratched, I don't understand how they really could have gotten it that bad really. Apart from that there is no other real problems. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would withstand live playing (however as mentioned before about the amp saturation I'd be very careful when using it live!) I have no problem with the hardware, the electronics have all been fine for me too. Strap buttons are completely solid, haven't budged at all since I got the guitar. Saying this I wouldn't use it without a backup (or spare batteries) as it has a habit of going through batteries quickly, the electronics are pretty power hungry. And when the battery starts to die the bass doesn't just stop working, it keeps trying (not good) as then it just flickers on and off making horrible buzzing sounds, this would be really bad happening on stage. A battery would last a gig though so really this is easily overcome by just buying new batteries per gig. Finish is great, mine hasn't scratched at all. Only things are that the neck and strings get dirty quickly and the thing is like a dust magnet. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this guitar would be better for someone who plays more funky/jazz music, but on the whole its a great bass. Been playing for a few years now, it doesn't have that rich sound that the real fenders do, but for the price reduction it really isn't that far off. My old bass was a bog standard Stagg, China import, this cost be about x3 more but the sound quality is incomparable, what I'm saying is that (perhaps not a first time bass) but for someone like myself who's been playing for a few years now and was looking a good step up, this is certainly a great value for money bass. I did wish that I'd asked how well it would play on certain amps, and how much more did you get from this bass compared to their other product which I was considering buying, the standard Precision bass. I chose this as it was a big step up in price from the Precision bass, it had a much bigger range of sounds, which make this bass really fun to play with. I certainly don't regret buying this bass over the precision, if this bass was lost or stolen I would happily buy it again. I love it look, its funky side and just its general ability to be a great bass to play with an experiment with different styles. I don't enjoy how the bass boost only seems to boost the bottom string and as said before saturate it. My favorite part has to be the electronics, I haven't got a fancy amp or pedal, yet so far it has been able to produce all the different sounds I need. I would really like a 3-position blade. Overall if I were professional I probably wouldn't get this bass, however I would definitely recommend it to (serious) players who need something to play with an broaden their styles. // 8

Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Reviewed by: Kdunscomb, on march 20, 2014

Features: Not quite sure what year, and I think it's Indonesian made? I could probably just go check, anyways... It has a Rosewood board with pearloid trap inlays, Agathis body, Poly coat finish, Passive "Duncan Design" P/J pickup combo (P-neck/J-bridge). Stacked volume and tone control knobs, oddly the tone knobs have a 10 click turn feel to them. I dig it, it makes it feel less cheap? I'm just comparing them to the Danelectro stacked knobs because that's the only other I've ever used. Standard 4 saddle bridge, open gear tuners, etc. I got mine with a Roadrunner hard case. Everything seems pretty basic on it besides the "Duncan Design" pickups. Not quite the same as having some Seymour Duncan Quarter pounds, but better than your standard pickups in my opinion. // 6

Sound: I play from Sunday morning worship sets, heavy alternative basement shows. My board set up is Tuner > MXR Custon Comp > Sparkle Drive > Nova Delay > MXR M-80 into either a Buger BVP-5500 or occasionally a 76 Fender Bassman 50 into an Ampeg BXT 4x10. So through all of that the bass sounds amazing, but heck if you mic'd up a stretched garden hose it'd probably still sound decent. By itself the the isn't anything stand out. Through the mains if it's EQ'd well it'll sound like a bass. Get a decent preamp and your set. I usually run volumes up on both pickups, and even with a P/J combo it sounds much more smooth than punchy. with the bridge volume rolled down it has of course the P bass punch, but also I've noticed volume increase. I feel I can use this bass for both worship and pop punk gigs with a fitting sound in each genre // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My action was fine off the wall from my local GC in PA, but I played one off the wall down in Raleigh's GC and the action was close to terrible. I can't speak for the consistency of quality setups, but I can say mine was fine, the only adjusting I've done to it was lower the E-string saddle a half turn or so. The intonation has been fine thus far. I will say that my volume knobs maybe after 6 months have gotten pretty noisy. During non-worship gigs I usually tape them down to avoid possible movement of them to try to stop any unwanted crackle. It's a super light bass. Lighter on my shoulder than both my Jazz and P bass. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As soon as I got it I replaced the standard strap buttons with DiMarzio cliplocks. I guess it's what I always do. Bridge and tuners seem fine. I throw mine around a lot, so it's taken up a whole bunch of scratches and scrapes, but besides that it seems tough. The body seems a bit soft through the cracks. I can pick at the wood with my finger nail and it comes out where the Poly coat and paint has been broken and chipped away. I usually do gig it without a back up, but recently I've been using it with my P-bass, but only for alternate tunings sake. Like I said, it's a poly coat, and when not cracked, it'll last forever. I actually sanded mine off so it would wear down. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 7 years, I've been through 4 basses? Surprisingly this has been my favorite, a lot of my musician friends poke fun that it's a Squier, but I still dig it. If it were stolen I'd probably upgrade to maybe a Modern Players Jag or something under the Fender name just to upgrade. I love the weight, the look, and I do like the sound. I don't like the electronics too too much, I'd like to replace the pickups along with the electronics, and even though they say a name is just a name I don't like that it's under Squier simply because of the level of quality Squier is known for even though this bass in particular is a quality item. // 7

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Bullet HS Telecaster 7.7 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014