Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 09/06/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
This handsome natural-finish bass features a soft maple body and one-piece maple neck with sharp-looking black binding and block inlays on the 20-fret maple fingerboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 8.8
 8.7
 8.9
 8.5
reviews (15) pictures (2) 78 comments vote for this gear:
Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: guitarfan93, on december 26, 2006

Features: This wonderful bass of mine is a 2006, indonesian made, Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass. It has 20 frets on it's maple neck. The body is also made from maple. The finis is a polyurethane transparent finish to show off the wood. The body style is based from the regular Fender Jazz bass. It has duncan designed passive pickups, run into two volumes (for both pickups) and a master tone. // 9

Sound: The sound of this bass is absolutely amazing. I was looking for a versatlie bass I could use in the studio, and I wanted to be able to get a P Bass sound also. This bass can do it. Right now I'm running it into my computer through guitar rig 2 (also great). I also run it through my champ 15 watt guitar amp (not a lot though, don't want to ruin the speaker). With the tone knob turned all the way up you can get a great "real" punk tone (Rise Against, The Clash, Sex Pistols, etc). Turn it halfway you get a more calm tone ('60s Beatles like) Turn it all the way and it's a thumpin slappin beast! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup fairly well. I had this guitar shipped so I was fairly worried about what kind of state it might be in but it turned out okay. I had to adjust the pickups ever so slightly to get my tonal needs but rather than that there were no flaws whatsoever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This seems like a very reliable guitar, I would most certainly use it live without a back up. The hardware seems like it will last around 5-10 years if I had to guess, but even then I wouldn't mind replacing it. The finish seems like it will stand my rouh playing (its also a very sexy au-natural look). Don't let the Squier name fool you, THIS a wonderful guitar and will last me many great years! // 10

Overall Impression: I play various styles of rock ranging from metal to punk to classic rock. The versitality of this guitar is a great match, although I wouldn't reccomend this to the metalhead bassist because of its more '70s sound. I bought this bass basedon reviews, and never got the chance to try it at a store, but it definitly worked oout. This is my First bass (I've played guitar for about 5 years now) so I can't really compare it to anything else but it is much better than some of the affinity series basses I tried. Overall this bass I a very good and fits my needs perfectly. // 9

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: thewhobn, on november 21, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: The Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass from Squier features a one-piece hard maple neck, maple body, and Duncan Designed Jazz Bass pickups. It has black binding and block inlays, black pickguard, and chrome hardware. This bass has a 34" scale and 20 frets. The there are three controls on the bass two which control the volume for each pickup and one tone control. This bass also features 2 single-coil Duncan Designed JB101 Jazz Bass pickups with Alnico V magnets. // 9

Sound: I play mostly classic rock and Jazz. This bass can do all genres. Because of all the all maple body this bass can be very bright sounding. But also this bass can be dialed in too a gut rumbling low. With the two pickups turned up and the tone rolled back a little you can get a great slap sound. With the neck pick up turned up you can get a great heavy sound which is great for rock and punk. With the bridge turned up this bass growls. I use this through a Hartke amp and overall this bass sounds great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the box the bass was ready to play. The action was low and the pickups were at a good height. The neck is thin just like a jazz should be and it's very smooth. The wood grain was lined up and the finish looks great. The finish is great and accents the wood grain very nicely. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although I have not played any Live shows yet this bass seems rock solid and would be able to withstand anything. The strap buttons were good but I replaced them with strap locks just for the added security. This bass seems very reliable. The chrome hardware looks great and will probally last forever if well taken care of. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this bass is that it is very versatile and great for all genres. I think it makes a good comparison to the Fender MIM jazz. If this bass got stolen i would defiantly buy it again. This bass would be great for any beginner or intermediate players. I bought this as my second bass and I am very pleased with it. // 9

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Sudaka, on january 04, 2012

Features: Bought new, so it was made in 2011. - Maple neck, maple fretboard, 20 medium frets, black block inlays and black binding (that looks very nice) in a 34" scale. - Soft Maple body (also very nice), obviously jazz bass type. - Polyurethane natural finish. - Chrome hardware: standard 4 saddle bridge, and Vintage tuners. - S/S jazz bass pickup configuration. "Duncan Designed" pickups. Passive electronics. 3 control knobs: one volume knob for each pickup, and a master tone control. - No accessories included. Regrettably, I am not an experienced player, so there will be some aps throughout this review though I hope it will helpful. I personally liked the pickups and the soft maple body that, in my opinion, gives he bass some extra brightness, compared to other jazz basses in it's price range. I love the black block inlays, the neck's binding, and the black pickguard. When I was looking for a bass to buy, the one that was competing with this one was a Washburn Taurus, but I ended up with this because I thought the Washburn was a little dark sounding for me. The only thing I don't like too much is the nut, since it's plastic-y and doesn't look too reliable when I saw it when changing strings. This was the best bass I tried, and I gave a try to a lot other basses on it's price range. I also prefer jazz basses over precisions, because I think they are a little more versatile, and I like the neck pup's sound better on jazz's than on precision's. Overall, a great bass. It could have come with a gigbag and a strap (fender's site says it comes with a gigbag, though I wasn't given any) hence a little less points. // 8

Sound: Excellent sound! And I mean it. A very good sound all around. As I said before, this is more a bright sounding bass, so if you want a darker sounding one, you may look for another bass. I like its neck pup better than a P Bass pup, because it has a more round, fuller sound, unlike the p pup that has a tad more attack, but sound a little sterile to me. Also, you can combine the two pups, so you can get a nice low end, with some extra sparkling tone, where you can get more from your fingers hitting the strings (that little clicky sound...). With the bridge pup you lose low end but you get a lot more highs, that for me needs the master tone to be rolled a little down so it doesn't become harsh. I don't usually use the bridge pup alone. I'm using this bass through a Fender M80 (160 watts) and it really shines. As I said before, I am not too experienced, though it think this bass can suit (another obviousness) jazz and blues. But I use it for rock, too. It takes metal very well also. But I think that a decent bass with some fine EQing can do any style, this bass while add a little brightness while maintaining a round full sound (specially with the neck pup). I also packs a nice slap sound, but for that I think t depends more on the player than on the bass. Overall an excellent sounding bass, I couldn't find any other better sounding than this on it's price range. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up from the factory was ok. The truss rod needed some relief, but the action was good enough (lowered t a very little bit, though). It has some fret buzz, particularly on the A string, but only when you pluck pretty hard, and my bass theacher agrees that it is a normal and expectable fret buzz. The pickups were ok, though I evened (does that word exist? English isn't my first language...) them, cause they were a very little unbalanced. The intonation was perfect, ut I had to be modified to match the other changes I made. There was nothing bad, no dead or sharp frets, the neck and bridge had no problems, etc. So, considering I did some changes, but it was pretty much ok. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely gig with this. It seems sturdy, though it is almost new so I can't honestly tell. I think it is very well built, and I won't be having any better bass soon so I will gig with these. And when I get a better bass, I think I'll take this as a very nice bak up bass. For now I also own a Yamaha RBX 650 that I could use as a back up if I had some way to take it to the gig. But I think I can depend on this. Strap buttons are solid, and as far as the finish, I haven't knocked it yet (hopefully, I'll never do) but I think that if it gets a ding, it wouldn't be much noticeable since it has a natural finish... The hardware seems good enough, the bridge works nicely, but I don't know why, I don't see it lasting a centenary... However I might (and hope) be wrong. I'd like not to rate this, since I can't really tell, but I'll give it a seven because I think it will last some years but not forever... // 7

Overall Impression: I think this is and excellent starter bass, and it goes deep into intermediate territory. Many people say they can compete with mexican fenders, though I couldn't try for myself so far. I let you know if I can. As said before, I also own a Yamaha RBX650, and I like this jazz bass better, mainly for it's sound. I'd like to reiterate that I am a beginner bassist, so that you know where this review comes from. All the ratings has been pointed considering it's price: I know it is not a 10 in sound compared to a MIA Fender, it just is the better sounding bass on it's price range I my opinion. The only doubt I still have is which is better if this or a classic vibe. I think this sounds better, but I couldn't compare both of them side by side yet. If it were stolen, I think I'd try to compare both and then decide which is better, but I think this is better looking, and I don't like basswood so much, so I think this may be my choice. I'd would buy a Japanese or American Fender Jazz if I could, though. But I think I would definitely buy it again. I compared this to: SX Jazz bass VJB 75, to other Squier Jazz and Precision models (almost all of them), Yamaha RBX series, Washburn Taurus, Ibanez GSR200, Cort Action DLX. I couldn't try Peaveys though. However, this was the best of them. I think my favorite features are this black block inlays and the fretboard binding (I saw that the VM Precision that's natural finish has no binding and makes the maple neck look awfully cheap). I don't like the nut, but that has been explaint before. I'd like it to have 24 frets so I get two octaves, but it wouldn't be a classic bass if it had them, and it's not like I need those extra frets so badly. Overall a very recommendable bass. I'd like to say that if you are about to buy a Squier, but can't afford to buy this one, you should wait a little so you can get this. Truly there's a lot of difference between the affinity or he standard series, and this one. You won't regret it. I'll give this a nine. Just because it can't be perfect. // 9

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Anjohl, on may 22, 2008

Features: The model I bought is a 2007 Heritage sunburst with no pickguard 5 string with active pickups. the bnody is basswood, the neck is maple with an artificial ebony fretboard that looks stunning. Controls-wise it has a tone, volume, and slap Switch to really put the active pickups into an agressive mode. // 9

Sound: I am a beginner bass player, just switching over after playing electric guitar for 14+ years. It seems versatile, with the "slap" Switch really kicking the active pickups into seriosu funk mode. I compared the bass to a VM Jazz 4 string without active pickups, and to a simialr Fender Jazz, and really found that the active electronics made a difference. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action seems reasonable, I did notice a few scratches on the neck, but I believe they were due to demo usage. The biggest flaw was that the pickups seem to have a bit of hiss at high tone settings, but it wasn't drastically higher than similar basses. The bass does have two single coil pickups as well, so the hiss is to be at least partially expected. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems sturdy, it is very neck heavy, and the neck is very wide, even for a 5 string. the fretboard is gorgeous though, and I haven't found a single fret buzz. The fretboard looked very smooth, and for sucha wide neck, it helps out a lot with letting you move up and down the neck fast. // 9

Overall Impression: Music-wise, I like rock/metal and funk/hiphop, and this bass has a nice standout tone, along with the slap Switch to realyl let you stand out when playing. I have been shopping for a bass for almost a year now, and never got excited about any other bass like this one. I decided to go with the 5 string in order to give more tonal options. Overall, a great bass. // 10

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 04, 2012

Purchased from: Flores Music, Peoria IL

Features: My Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, purchased used in 2012, was made in Indonesia in 2007. For a 5-year-old budget line bass, it was in excellent condition, no scratches, bumps or bangs to speak of. A hard case is on order, as the Fender jazz bass it was purchased as a back up to, had seen a hard life in a gig bag. The bass has a one-piece black-bound maple neck, with black block inlays, and the frets were in good order. The action was a bit high, and once lowered and intonated, was pretty close in height to my Fender. The neck has a satin finish, while my Fender has a gloss neck. Doesn't really effect playability, to my way of feel. I changed the roundwounds on the bass (GHS Bass Boomers) with some D'Addario Chromes and neither set sat properly in the nut slots at the D or G strings, so I widened the slots. The body is a three-piece maple, and is nicely figured, and you have to hold it in just the right light to tell it's three piece. They do a good job of matching the grains on their wood. The stock black pickguard was in good shape, but I still replaced it with a white pearl pickguard that was originally designed for the Fender American Standard Jazz Bass. This required a bit of fitting, as the Squier's control cover comes to a point in it's center and the Fender's is a soft round contour. Careful shaping and taking your time will make it look like a proper fit. The pickups are Duncan Designed pickups and I'm a big fan of Seymour Duncan products, and I use Quarter Pounders in my Jazz and my Yamaha. I can't tell you if these pickups are made in the same place as SD's, but what I can tell you is that the output is substantially more potent than the output of stock Fender (MIM) pickups. The tuners are standard Fender fair, as is the high-mass bridge. Overall, I expected this bass to be lighter than my Fender. It definitely was. By about a pound and a half. Overall, it's a good, nicely made bass, that looks pretty snazzy with an upgraded pickguard, regardless of what the headstock says. // 8

Sound: The bass is pretty quiet, but that is in comparison to my Fender Jazz, with the SD Quarter Pounders, and upgraded control circuitry. It would definitely benefit from a circuitry upgrade, though. While you get a lot of bright attack from it, courtesy of the slightly hotter DD pickups, you could probably do a lot more tone shaping with an upgrade in the control cavity, and by that, I plan on adding in the SD active Blackouts. It has a stacked tone for both pickups, and a stacked Vol/Blend knob, and would greatly enhance the range of this bass' capability, for under a couple hundred bucks. It's an upgrade I'd recommend for almost any jazz bass, Fender or Squier, Affinity, VM, or CV. And with the VM, if you bought it right, and inexpensively, installed for about $200, you're still coming in with more tonal versatility than a new MIM Fender out of the box, and for about $50-$100 less. I play a lot of pop, but it's very cross-genre stuff. So i need that versatility. You might not. This bass has a pretty wide range as it is, but I would love to see it woof a little deeper, while still bringing that bright maple snap the wood in this bass is capable of. So for starters it's good, but if you find it lacking some versatility, it's inexpensive enough to be easily upgraded to expand your sonic toolbox. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action gets pretty low. I don't like my action TOO low, so this bass doesn't hit the deck. With heavy tension strings you might get it lower, but I don't believe it's necessary. The pickups were pretty well matched for power output. I raised the neck up a bit to give it some more bottom end, and that helped alot. The top, as I have said, is three pretty well-matched for being a 3-piece top. Surprisingly so, I've heard this form a lot of people. The only thing I have to complain about is a big knot in the figuring, but it's a completely full knot, and sorta adds to the character. You know this is not a 1972 Fender Jazz Bass. It's not going to be exhibition-grade wood. But the folks in this price point are sure not looking for that anyway. All fit and finish was good, and the one flaw I really noticed of a not-wide-enough nut slot was easily taken care of, and the bass is even more playable now. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes, this bass will stand up to some hard work. It's solid feeling and has a good tone to it, and doesn't break up when properly set up. Which is the key. If you buy this at the big-box store, take it to a luthier, or learn correctly how to set up your own bass. It makes a crappy box-store set up bass into something you can really work with. The hardware, knurled control knobs, are actually less cheap feeling than the plastic MIM knobs on my Fender. I know the whole legacy thing of the plastic knobs, but even on a '74 Jazz I played, they feel cheap. Always have, always will. I would recommend a control circuitry upgrade, as I will increase what you can do with this bass, but out of the box, it's ace for 80% of the bass market and 100% of beginners. Strap buttons are solid, and I would use this on a gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: As I have said, for the kind of music I play, basically pop rock, with some hard rock thrown in, synth bass work, etc., this bass more than does the job. I don't need a 5-string, I don't play 8-string basses. I just like a good jazz bass, which gives me enough fluff without having to overthink all the guff that goes with more expensive basses with a lot of knobs to twiddle and switches to flick. If you're into toggles and knobs, this will not be the bass for you. If you like good reliable musical instruments that are quality when you purchase them, and have a good upside with how far affordable upgrades will take you, then this is a bass worth looking at. I've been playing bass for more than 25 years, I've toured, I've played weekend warrior gigs, and I've done studio work. This thing would cover 90% of the gigs I've done, and certainly the one I am currently doing. If it were lost or stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. No, Squier, that does not mean you can send ninjas to steal it so I'll buy another one. I have a ninja-detecting shark, and it is usually in a really cross mood. What I love about it, is the price, and how it sounds for that price. Great bass, great price, and compared to my Fender Jazz, while it's not as full-bodied a sound, I think that's more or less simply a matter of the wood. Ash body vs. maple. Rosewood board vs. maple. SD Quarter Pounders vs. DD. It's not a fair fight. Never was. But that's not the point. The point is, the Squier's actually in the fight on this bass. Nice work, Squier. // 9

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2008

Features: Mine was made in indonesia, I think they all are. Not sure when mine was made. The 20 fret maple necks looks and feels good as it's nice and thin at the top. The neck and body are both maple, but the body has a polyurethane finish and looks fantastic in any environment. You get a standard bridge which is nothing special but does the job, and 2 passive duncan designed pickups which sound great. You get 2 volume controls (one for the bridge pickup, one for the neck), and one master tone. // 9

Sound: I play many styles of music from punk to jazz and this has all bases covered. The tonal control allows you to create anything from a fat trebley punch similar to that of the P-Bass to the warm, mellow sound which the jazz is famous for. I play with a 180watt Ashdown combo, I've also used the bass Live through a PA and haven't had any problems with feedback or excess noise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass seemed to have been set up well, the action was good and everything seemed to have been fitted properly, the only reason I can't give this category 10/10 is because there was a bit of fretbuzz on the E string, (which was easily cured), and one or two screws on the machine heads weren't screwed in all the way, but that's nothing serious. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played this bass Live a few times and so far it's been fine and I don't feel the need to have a back-up. As for the finish, I've played the bass almost every day for the 3 months I've had it and it looks just as new and shiny as it did on the day I bought it. I don't think the hardware is going to break any time soon but I suppose you can't really tell. // 10

Overall Impression: The look and sound of this bass will suit almost any style of music. There's just one thing I'd like this bass to have and that is real Fender jazz style black control knobs, because in my opinion they look better than the chrome ones Squier put on all their jazzes. It's not a big problem anyway because you can buy the black controls for about $15 / 8. This Squier looks, sounds and feels just like a real Fender (I know this because I have played many fenders). I played a Mexican Fender jazz and I can honestly say this Squier feels just as good to play and to be honest, it looks better! // 10

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: hak_hap, on august 05, 2009

Price paid: € 298

Purchased from: Just Music (Hamburg, Ger)

Features: As it has been said before: It is a 2006 Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass and made in Indonesia. It is made out of solid maple, the body is covered with transparent polyurethane (might even be a bit "tanned") and shows its individual beautiful wood...made by mother nature. This bass is a Fender jazz bass copy. Thats not only to be said about the style but also about certain aspects of the quality this product has to it. Later more... This Bass comes with duncan designed pickup with one volume to each and a master volume. My bandmate once bought duncan designed pickups for his Les Paul Guitar. They have an awesome quality and I was quite surprised when I noticed them in the store. This would be a ten if the frets marks had a nicer design to it. Sorry... // 9

Sound: This bass sound amazing to be fair. I wanted to have a new bass that could do it all, basically: Slappy Funk, Growling Grunge (perfect because of the 70's design...) Fast Punk. And this little brother of Fender can do it all. Just depends on your volume settings and of course your effects. I personally suggest not to use effects at all. If you want to I suggest the Boss ME 50B. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This Bass was setup quite cool, but you cannot seriously expect any instrument to be setup the way you personally like it. Thats always up to you and if you think differently then your probably not a good musician. The pickups where set the way I want it, though... // 9

Reliability & Durability: This Bass is a heavy-weight and it is solid as well as smooth and well-produced. I would say it can easily last longer than 8 years. This Bass is nothing less but a little brother of the real fenders. So it should be treated. Duncan designed pickups are also known to be durable and not nessecarily to be replaced soon. I would certainly play live without a backup bass, although I have one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in a Blink 182-esque and RHCP-esque band. Therefore I found the perfect Bass and would buy the same on as a real Fender when I got the money. But until then this Bass beats any kind of medium-priced (200 - 600) Bass guitar when it comes to my expectations. I can do this one funky, punky and heavy, no matter what. Its solid and so is its sound. It can be very funky and also very massive. Squier is nothing but a little brotherm of Fender to be annoyingly repeatative...*lol* // 10

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 10, 2009

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: The Modified Jazz Bass I purchased was new, and made in Indonesia in 2009. The bass features a bolt on maple neck and c-shape fret board complete with the Geddy Lee-esque black box inlays. The body of the guitar is made of maple and has a simple lacquer finish over the natural maple look. The pickups are 2 Duncan Designed JB101 pickups, and there are 2 tone knobs and 1 volume knob as is standard on Jazz basses. The hardware is also all chrome. The body of my bass didn't contain any noticeable knots in the wood, but there was one on the floor at Sam Ash with a big knot on the front and back of it, which is a blemish that you may or may not chose to overlook, so if you want to make sure your bass doesn't have a knot in it it's probably best for you to check out the bass in person. There are many upgrades and differences between the Modified Jazz Bass and its cheaper Squier counterparts, and I think the extra price you pay is worth it. The upgraded pickups and the unique maple neck with black inlays make this a decent buy at a still affordable price. // 8

Sound: I play in a prog-rock band with only one guitarist, so I was looking for a bass that would jump out of the mix rather than sit back in the deeper end and this bass does just that. I play the bass through a Fender Rumble 60 bass amplifier, and by tweaking the controls on the amplifier I can go from a heavy and deep bass sound to something much higher with a few adjustments to the high and low end settings. The pickups are an upgrade over the usual Squier bass pickups, but they aren't as great as the Fender pickups on the American series of basses. Overall, the bass provides a wide range of sounds that would fit with a lot of different types of music. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purchased the bass, I had one of the techs at Sam Ash set it up for me at the store, which took about 15 minutes. He lowered the action a bit and spent a few minutes adjusting the bridge and neck. As I mentioned before, the body on one of the models at the store had some knots in it, and the associate at Sam Ash mentioned that a few of those basses that also had knots in the body, but otherwise the finish looked nice on mine. Beyond that everything seemed very good out of the box. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've used the bass at a few shows since I bought it, and it held up well. Any sweat that I got on the finish wiped right off and the hardware still looks alright after the guitar took a tumble to the ground once or twice. I replaced the strap-buttons with Schaller strap locks immediately after I got the bass home, which I'd recommend for anyone playing any gigs with any guitar. The one little thing I've noticed about it is that the neck will ding very easily since it is a softer wood, but that's not really a huge problem in my opinion. Just keep it safe and this bass should last you a long time. // 7

Overall Impression: The Squier Modified Jazz Bass would make a good fit for anyone playing any kind of music. The range of tones you can get from it is wide ranging and allows for some creativity with your bass sound that some basses don't really allow. I've only been playing bass for a few months but I've played guitar for 8 years. This is definitely a great bass to start with or a great bass for someone Who doesn't want to spend a fortune on a decent instrument. Don't be afraid of the Squier name with this bass because if you replaced the decal on the headstock with a Fender decal, no one would ever know the difference. I would definitely buy this bass again if it were lost or stolen and absolutely recommend this bass to anyone Who asked. // 8

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Rowellyo, on february 25, 2011

Purchased from: Soundslive (Newcastle)

Features: This bass is a re-issue of the '77 jazz bass. It was made in Indonesia in 2006, like others have said. It has 20 medium - jumbo frets and a 34" scale. The body is Agathis and the neck and fretboard are maple, with pearl rectangle inlays. It has two volume and one tone control knobs (taken off a strat)It has two single coil Duncan Designed JB101 pickups. I got mine with a gig bag, but that wasn't standard. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock, metal and Indie styles and I have to say, this bass is perfect. I use a very basic Hiwatt Hurricane 15w amp at home and Peavey amps at shows, all of which it sounds great on. The sound is great whether you play slap, fingerstyle or pick. The sound is always crisp, and is rich with both pickups. The pickups give gut variety but not as much as some other basses. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action could be a bit lower but mine is still perfectly playable. Everything else was amazing - I can hardly find fault with it. The tuners stick sometimes, but very rarely and it is easily fixed. The metal fret bars stick up a tiny bit, and this can catch your fingers. Aside from those two, like I said I can't find fault with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The bass is built to last for a long time - other instruments I have had marked at the slightest knock, but with me being as clumsy as I am I am surpised that after a lot of big knocks it isn't marked. The strap buttons won't budge and I would definately use this bass without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, It sounds great whatever I play (it suits Iron Maiden just as much as the Arctic Monkeys and Fall out Boy). I have only owned one other bass but I have played countless others for long periods of time, and sounds great compared to other Squires and Fenders, and is a whole other league to my Tanglewood Rebel. I have no regrets, I would buy it again in a heartbeat, and prefer it to all of the others I have played and compared it to. // 10

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2011

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: crowleys cork

Features: 2009 indonesia made. 20 frets (I think). Medium jumbo frets, maple fretboard. Natural finish. Terrible Squier Fender style bridge. Passive duncan designed pickups. V,V,T controls. The tuners are strong and this bass doesnt't go out of tune that easily. // 8

Sound: This bass doesnt't really suit my style, I mainly play hard rock. I'm using it through an Ampeg BA600/115. The pickups are weak and really designed just to slap which isnt much use to me. I find it doesnt't go well with distortion, but would be good for light blues or jazz. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was crap has to adjust everything (string height, pickup height). The strings on the bass were horrible. The bridge on this bass is its major flaw as it buzzes is difficult to adjust, doesnt't feel strong and I can tell this bass would sound much better with something like a stronger badass bass II bridge. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This bass is very, very sturdy and would survive heavy gigging easily. The bridge would need to be replaced if you were going to gig properly though. I would gig without a backup with it. The finish is a laminated top and will stand the test of time. // 9

Overall Impression: I like this bass although it doesnt't suit my style. I usually don't like the look of jazz basses but this one is very good looking. If it were stolen lost I would go out and buy an Epiphone thunderbird pro iv because thatd suit my style much better. I would reccomend this as a first bass as it was very easy to learn on and sounded quite nice even out of crap amps. I compared it to mexican jazz basses and found this to be much much better. // 8

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: ROConnell, on august 22, 2011

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar Birmingham

Features: My Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass is the new 2011 version, made in Indonesia, with a Basswood Body, Maple Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard and like any other Vintage Modified Bass, it has Duncan Designed Pickups. It has 20 frets. The neck is nice and slim as Jazz Basses should be and I can literally glide along the fretboard with Flatwounds on. The frets aren't sharp at all and are very nice sizes and nice to play. The neck also has a Skunk Stripe which is a nice touch. The body is Basswood unlike the 70's style which is Maple. It is very sturdy and strong but not at all heavy. The body has a nice grain and is finished in a gorgeous 3-Tone Sunburst. The finish is pretty good and only chips when beaten to an extent. I've knocked it on a sharp corner quite hard and couldn't find a mark. The Pickups are great, very versatile with a range of tones. I play slap and funk basslines, switching octaves a lot and it sounds great. I also play hard rock and punk and it's great for that too. The tuners and hardware on this Bass are great, Chrome keeps it's Shine and only a few scratches on the neckplate. I have had one incident where the tuning peg for the G has came off but that was replaced by Squier and haven't had any problems since. // 9

Sound: As said before I play Slap, Funk, Punk and Hard Rock. Simply blending, turning down or isolating one pickup fits all of theses sounds and I can imagine it does good for others. I use this amp at gigs with a Peavey Databass Combo. The amp is very loud and noisy but I get a rich, fat tone out of both pickups on and sounds very nice with the tone up. Sounds very full and sits in the mix well with both pickups. The neck pickup sounds very nice and Vintage with the tone up full and the bridge with no tone gives a nice rich, but flat sound which I like. This Bass has very versatile range of tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was good but could of been lower. After a tweak I've got it very low but no frets buzzing and it is a joy to play. I didn't have to change pickup height as they were in a great position already. Bridge and hardware were routed correctly and the finish was brilliant. It had no flaws and it was simply out of the box, plug in and play! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this since January when it was released and has been my main gigging Bass since. It's been handed about, knocked, chipped and played thoroughly but it's stood high over my other basses and I would always pick it. The hardware is very durable and reliable and I would only change it if had serious marks ad scratches as I like good condition. The strap hasn't fell off yet and they are very good buttons that balance the Bass well. I've used it at gigs without a backup for 7 months and it's been fine. I have now started taking a back up though. It looks to last me for a long while! // 10

Overall Impression: This Bass is perfect for my type of music and any other types. It's so versatile! Been playing now for around 14 months and I own another Bass (Yamaha BB350) which is different in tonal quality but still great. I love the look of this Bass and for the price I couldn't ask for a better Bass! // 9

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: itzkpanda, on august 29, 2011

Features: This beast of a bass was made in Indonesia. It includes 20 medium-jumbo frets with a maple neck and fretboard. The body's made of soft maple and the neck has a polyurethane finish and it feels so incredibly smooth when you play. It has a black binding, black block inlays, and a black pickguard which in my opinion works amazing with the color of the maple. The bass has the Standard Jazz Bass controls (Tone, Front Pickup, Bridge pickup) and there are 2 Duncan Designed JB101 Single-Coil Jazz Bass Pickups with AlNiCo 5 Magnets that sound quite nice. Sadly, there's nothing included with the bass except an allen wrench and some silica gel packets; however, if you buy from a local guitar shop, I'm pretty sure you can haggle a free case or something close. // 10

Sound: I bought this bass mainly for my church's praise team which plays a wide variety from contemporary to rock, and this bass is extremely flexible with all types of music genre. It could be a bright slap/funk machine, or you can turn the bridge pickup on so it gives a deep growl that could suit metal. At home I use a basic Fender Rumble 15, and at church I play through a Markbass Little Mark III and New York 151 Bass Stack and it sounds absolutely incredible. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was almost perfect right out of the box (not to high, not too low) and the two pickups were at perfect height. The only slight problem is that the tuning pegs are a bit stiff when you get it; but it gets easier to turn in a day or so. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never played in any big gigs or concerts, but it seems to exceed it's expectations to a crowd of 75+ teenagers. The strap buttons look quite durable and I don't feel like I need a strap lock (although, if you WANT to, you can buy one if it makes you feel better). If you take good care of the bass, it would last you quite a while. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd recommend this bass to anyone that's a bit low on money and needs a bass. It beats a lot of MiM Fenders that I've played and it's just so reliable. // 10

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: clitheroekid100, on january 19, 2012

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: Maple Body, Maple fingerboard with black block fret inlays. Came in a cardboard box. You can add more features but when it has just what you want and exactly as described 10 is the only score. Price included the Fender 30 discount offer ended 15th Jan 2012. // 10

Sound: Does what is expected of a Jazz bass. Turn both PUs full up and adjust the tone to taste and there you have it, excellence! Turn down the bridge PU and a diffent sort of excellence. Turn up the 50 & 100hz on the amp and get deep down warmth. Turn those down and the trebles up and funky twanginess. Its not active and its not a Precision but I've already got some of that. Can't wait to gig it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action a bit too high but easily changed. V slight ding on the back. The frets, tuners, bridge, PUs, pots etc are very good. It stays in tune. The body is a lovely warm maple colour and the neck with the block inlays and binding is perfect. The hardware is chunky without being over-the-top. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'll wear out before it does! Hardware is nice an shiny chrome and looks like it will last. The pots are smooth and the knobs chunky and robust. Better than on my Ibanez ATK300. Take two guitars to a gig no. This one will do just fine. The finish is nigh on perfect and to a high standard. The quality control if my J-bass is representitive is fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, rock and funky stuff. A P-Bass may be slightly better for the rock but I bought a Jazz because it is a Jazz. Played 35 years, bass, acoustic & electric gtr, fiddle, mandolin etc. Highly delighted with this, not just for the price but because it is really spot-on to play and to look at. Try one before you spend more money on something else. Do I care that it doesn't say Fender on it? No! Would I replace if it got stolen? Yes. // 10

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: videoflyguy, on march 02, 2012

Features: - Indonesian made - 20 frets - Maple fretboard - I got the 3 tone sunburst - Jazz body style - Passive electronics - 2 volume knobs, 1 tone knobs - 2 single-coil Duncan Designed JB101 Jazz Bass pickups with Alnico V magnets - Standard 4 saddle bridge - No extra accessories // 9

Sound: I bought this for several praise teams I am in at church who play anything from contemporary to slow/hymnal style songs. Currently I have no actual bass amp to run this through so I improvised and am running it out of a subwoofer/personal amp (350W) combo which seems to work well. It is not noisy at all, no signal buzz I can hear. It has a full boomy sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was really high when I got it from the factory and it is still really high because I can't lower it much more without making the strings buzz. The pickups are right where I left them which works pretty good. No flaws as far as I can tell. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely last for a couple 3 years until I get enough money to buy a Fender version of this bass. I have bumped it plenty since I got it and it is still in perfect condition. You need to actually take off this bass and slam it against the floor to make a mark in it, not that I would. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass is definitely a keeper and for a beginner/novice who is looking for amazing sound. I would probably buy it again if I lost it. // 9

Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Reviewed by: Fender_punk, on september 06, 2012

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: long and mcquade

Features: I'm unsure when this bass was made but I bought it new in 2008. On the back of the headstock it says "Crafted in Indonesia". 20 frets. To my understanding, the bass is made out of some kind of maple. Maple neck and fretboard with the awesome black block inlays. The finish on this bass when I bought it was just the natural Maple that was clear coated. Regular Jazz Bass shape. Standard bridge with the strings feeding through the front. Passive Duncan Designed pickups. Volume knob for each pickup as well as a master tone knob. Standard open gear tuners. Nothing included. // 7

Sound: This was my first bass. I play in a fast sorta skater punk band. I like to have a clicky, high mid slightly overdriven punk tone. I use a pick. This bass wasn't bad at all for this kind of tone. I'm a big fan of that jazz bass bridge pickup and it's one of the handful of things that makes me a jazz bass kinda guy. You gotta love a good PBass but having that extra bright attack from a jazz bass's bridge pickup is where it's at for me. When I bought this bass I swapped out the bridge pickup and replaced it with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound. Literally ripped out the neck pickup and removed the volume knob. Back then I never used the neck pickup and it got in the way of all the stickers I wanted to put on it ahaha. Even though my bands tunes are for the most part pretty happy sounding, I would describe my bass playing as aggressive and melodic. I used this bass through my rig which is essentially a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI through a Fender Bassman 410 and a Mesa Powerhouse 212. The bass is pretty noisy but I suspect that has to do with the fact that I did not in any way properly remove the neck pickup. It's a pretty bright bass. I use RotoSound Swing 66 strings, the heavy gauge ones. Jazz basses are pretty well rounded basses. Having 2 pickups is always a good thing and I feel like you could dial in many tones with this bass. I've since replaced main bass duties with a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass which I also reviewed on here. So compared to my Fender, it isn't quite as impressive when it comes to sound, versatility and overall feel. But certainly a good buy for the money. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass was set up very well from the factory. I really feel like Squier has upped their game in the last few years. I also considered buying the Vintage Modified Precision Bass but it just didn't compare. The wood is better on this bass and the fact that at the end of the day I just prefer a jazz bass decided that for me. I'm a huge fan of the way this bass looks. I LOVE the maple fretboard and black block inlays. I love the finish and black pickguard. The Fender I bought to replace this bass is basically the same at first glance having a very similar appearance. There's a reason I bought that Fender and it's mostly because it was a nicer version of this bass. This bass had a beautiful grain on it, even though I eventually hand painted it surf green. I had to reposition the ground wire after a few months. Nothing too crazy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar lasted me a while and my band recorded our first demo and full length with it. However, I did replace it for a reason. Strap buttons were falling out fairly often, electronics began getting a bit sketchy. The neck needs to be adjusted now as it's become a little bowed over the last couple years. To be fair, I've put this bass through HELL. Played many shows, painted it, switched out pickups. I'm not standing still at shows either. A lot of jumping and running and beer getting split and stuff like that happens at our shows. But still for a bass I had only had for 3 years I feel like it should be holding it's own a LITTLE better. I still use this bass a lot. Mainly at practice to preserve the strings on my Fender and often when writing. I take this bass on every tour and to every show as a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: At the end of the day, after about 3 years of service I went and bought myself an American Fender as this bass was starting to make me nervous. I love this bass and I'll never get rid of it But when compared to my Fender, the durability and sound lacks. This bass makes a great beginner or backup bass though and I would highly recommend it to someone who wants to start playing bass, especially punk rock. There are certain things about it that I love so much though that I wish my Fender had. That can be read on my review of the Fender that I made on here. If someone stole it it would be hilarious because no one would buy it. I purposely painted it to look like shit. But I would consider buying another one as a backup. I would also look at other Squiers as well if I had to buy a new backup bass. Possibly a CV Jazz or the VM Jag with the single humbucker. When I listen to the older recordings of my band with this bass, and compare them to the newer recordings done with my Fender, there is a noticeable difference and to me my Fender owns hands down. But I'm comparing this bass to a 2000 dollar bass which isn't really fair. Check out my band The Rowley Estate on Bandcamp. All the tracks from the "Still T.R.E." album were recorded with the Squier and everything else was recorded with my Fender. // 8

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Tele Custom II 7.7 Electric Guitars 10/13/2014