Vintage Modified Precision Bass Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 09/30/2009 category: Bass Guitars
Squier: Vintage Modified Precision Bass
The most popular electric bass of all time! The Precision Bass is considered by many to be the rock ?n? roll bass; truly a workhorse of an instrument. Squier?s great new Vintage Modified Precision Bass offers the stripped-down and straight-ahead tone heard on countless recordings since the dawn of rock.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 8.8
 8.4
 8.9
 7.9
reviews (6) 38 comments vote for this gear:
Vintage Modified Precision Bass Reviewed by: hotpants181, on august 15, 2006

Features: Brand new model from Squier (2006), made in Indonesia. sounds bad but it gets better. Medium jumbo frets on a rosewood fret board. Agathis body with an olypic white body and black pickguard. 1 tone control knob and a volume control to sort out that Duncan Designed split coil pickup. Die-cast open gear tuners making it very easy to tune. Very well built product and looks and feels as if you could throw it out a window and it will live. // 10

Sound: Very full sound, I'm running mine through a Harley Benton HB115 MK2. They say "Precision Bass is considered by many to be the rock 'n' roll bass; truly a workhorse of an instrument. Squier's great new Vintage Modified Precision Bass offers the stripped-down and straight-ahead tone" well believe every word of it. The tone control makes a big difference to the sound either scooping the bottom end or peaking the top they both sound great. There is a slight snag, (probablly my cables) there's a faint squeal in the background, it's fine if you have ur amp below 2 all the time but when it's cranked up to 11 then you can hear it, it's nothing dramatic and there's no need to by scared by it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It all arrived perfect, slightly out of tune but it did come from germany. No dents scratches or anything visually wrong with it, bridge saddles were a little high but there's nout wrong with a little diy to suit your own style. // 7

Reliability & Durability: "Will this guitar withstand live playing?" No need to ask that all though I haven't played on a stage with it yet, I have cranked the amp all the way up in my garage (neighbours didn't like that) but the more your amp goes up the more tone you get. The strapbuttons are shit as normal because they are not locking so I just went down to the local shop and got some locking buttons. The finish, if properlly looked after will last for about a million years nice thick layering of Polyurethane (what ever that is) and it just looks stunning. // 9

Overall Impression: I know this bass will suit all types of playing all be it slap, finger or pick because I've tryed it. I'm glad I bought this guitar to join my vast inventory of cheap guitars and I would definatlly claim my money back off the house insurence if it was stolen to buy another one. The only draw back with it is the squeal but don't let that put you off because it's not that bigger deal. "Anything you wish it had?" Yeah miricle grow for licks and lyrics. // 9

Vintage Modified Precision Bass Reviewed by: turkey3202003, on january 18, 2008

Features: I got this bass the year it came out which was 2006 I believe. It has the standard P-Bass style body and neck. I'm not sure what type of wood the body is made out of, but the neck is rosewood. Has beautiful olympic white finsh with a three ply black-white-black pickgaurd. The bridge is just a standard one, nothing special but it does the job, I'm thinking about upgrading it to a badass II bridge though. One volume and one tone controls, nice and simple. Syemor Duncan pickups, and just because they say duncan designed doesn't mean anything they are still amazing pickups. I do wish that it came with a gig bag though or something. // 9

Sound: This bass suites my style perfectly. I mainly play a lot of rock or punk. Even though I use a pick I still turn the treble up all the way on the bass to get that nice punchy sound, but it also sounds really good finger picked which I do sometimes depending on what I'm playing. I curently play it through an Ampeg amp, but I really want an Orange crush series bass amp. Is it noisy? No. The sound is perfect. I used to have a Fender standard p which buzzed a lot, but this one doesnt't unles you move to the really high frets. The variety is pretty good. As I stated above you can get a very punchy sound or you could turn the bass up on the tone knob and get a good thud going. The pickups are simply amazing. I mean you wouldn't expect this from a squire. This bass made me love squire basses. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action came pretty close to perfect. The pickups are just the right height. No flaws what so ever, though as stated in another review the volume knob was sticking up, but that's no big deal. The color is awesome, very Clash or Sex Pistols. The strings, like most that ship with guitars/basses, aren't the best but that's an easy fix. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used this bass Live yet sadly but I'm sure that it will do well in a Live setting. The hardware is good enough, but I would upgrade the bridge and maybe the tuners. The pickups however are staying (have you gotten the impression yet that I love the pickups in this thing yet). The strap buttons are pretty good, but straplocks never hurt any one. Once you upgrade the bridge and what not this bass would be very dependable. It will sound so good that people will be shocked that it's only a squire. The finsh is still perfect even after playing it almost daily for 2 years. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great match if your style is rock or punk or something like that. If you play something such as country I would look into the squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. I don't think I will ever sell or trade in this bass for anything, well maybe for a Fender american standard p. I love so many things about this bass. The one thing I don't like is the rosewood neck I'm more into maple which I think would be beautiful on this bass. Of course I love the pickups. When I was shopping around before I bought this I also look at the Epiphone thunderbirds (or what ever their called). I played one of those at a store, but it was way too top heavy. This one is top heavy like most basses but it wont start falling off your shoulder like the Epiphone. There isnt really anything that I wish it had. If your considering this bass please for the childern buy it. // 9

Vintage Modified Precision Bass Reviewed by: Miss G, on november 05, 2007

Sound: Suits my music styles perfect. Nails the pop punk sound I was wanting. This bass sounds great slapping and popping. I personally prefer it over a jazz bass. You can get nice funky tones and classic rock tones. It stays in tune. I use a Crate BT50 and a monster bass cable. I hardly get any hum or crackling noise. The duncan designed pickup are a nice touch. The strings it came with I didn't like at all, they got very dirty quick and seemed sticky and dead after a couple months. I put EB hybrid slinkies and they improve the sound much more. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I started playing this bass out of the box. Came set up perfectly. Nice fast neck. Great action. This bass is beautiful. The white body matched with black pickguard and chrome hardware is a such a great combo. The only flaw I have found is on my fretboard near the 17th fret there is a spot where the stain is lighter. Hardly noticeable, but I sorta like it. Unique looking. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This bass could defiantly withstand a gig. I have had no problems at all with my bass for the months I have owned it. I have a planet waves strap and not once has it fell off. Black pickguard shows scratches but what do you expect. Finish is great, I'm sure it will maintain nice looking for long time. If it didn't say Squier on the headstock you wouldn't believe that it was one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kind of styles. Slap and pop, picking, finger picking, tapping. They all sound good! This is my first bass and I wouldn't trade it for anything that isn't American made. I've played Mexican made Fenders and I truly prefer this bass. It's a beautiful bass. For the price you can't go wrong. it's a steal! // 9

Vintage Modified Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2007

Features: Brand new 2006 model made in I'm not sure I have a sticker covering that up. Has 20 meddium-jumbo frets and rosewood fingerboard. Has an awesome classic punk style white body with black pickguard. Has the standard one volume one tone knobs. The pickups (which are duncan designed)are amazing considering that's this bass is a Squier. // 10

Sound: This bass I think will fit most any music style out there but I use it mainly for rock and punk. I mainly play it through an Ampeg B-100. The tone on the bass is awesome. It has a pretty good sound range. I always use a pick which sounds good on the bass while one of my friends uses his fingers which also sounds good on this bass so which ever way you play this bass will fit you. It can either be really deep and bassy or very punchy and bright. I have also owned a Fender Standard P Bass (it wasn't one of the newer upgraded models but was still good) that just didn't sound as good as this bass, and that would be thanks to the Duncan Designed pickups. The only problem I found is that it isnt all that lound with the volume knob turned up all the way but that's not really a bad thing since all you have to do is turn up your amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the bass in mail the action was perfect. It was just low enough to sound awesome and not buzz when you play it. As stated before the pickups are awesome. The color (white w/ black pickguard) is also amazing. It is such a classic color style that is sure to catch the eyes of others. When I first got the bass I thought that there was a flaw but I was wrong. By this I mean that the volume knob sticks up a bit, almost like it wasn't put on all the way. This doesnt't keep it from working but was kinda weird. I found out that it wasn't a flaw when I was at a guitar shop and saw another one of these basses that also had a volume knob that stuck up. So if you get this bass and your knob is sticking up don't worry it is supposed to be like that I think. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used this bass for more than just sitting in my room and playing with a few friends. But I do believe that this bass would do very well Live at a gig. Everything about this bass seems like it will last a lifetime. Nothing on this is weak or feels like it will break. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the third bass I have owned. It is half the price of my other two but sounds sooo much better. If I some how lost or had this bass stolen I would buy a new one for sure. I love every thing about this bass. My favorite feature would have to be the pickups. I also love how simple this bass is. As I was writing this I really didn't want to put all 10s just because I don't like that but as I thought about it I just had to this bass is that good. If you are thinking about this bass then stop and go and buy it you will not regret it. // 10

Vintage Modified Precision Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 29, 2008

Purchased from: Best Buy

Features: Ok, so I bought this bass, thinking it was the holy grail of inexpensive basses and that it would rival my MIM Fenders. Mine is a late 2007 model, packing the usual load for a P-Bass. The agathis body is a bit disconcerting, as I've never held or heard an agathis bodied bass prior to this one, it doesn't really effect it much when compared to the alder bodied basses, but it doesn't stand up to the Ash that Fender used to use. The electronics are pretty terrible, cheap pots, cheap film capacitor and a cheap output jack. One of the first things I did was replace the electronics with CTS pots and jack and a Orange drop capacitor. The finish on the body feels like your standard cheap guitar fair and the neck feels slightly better than what you'd find on a Squier. // 6

Sound: I ran this through my Kustom III/Bassman 115 amp setup and got pretty much the expected sound from a Squier P-Bass, nothing more, nothing less. The pickup wasn't noisey, but that's little consolation when your bass has such a flat tone. I'm definately swapping the pickup out with a real duncan, not gonna keep this "duncan designed" pickup in it. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The action, from the store, was pretty poor it was about as high as you'd ever see. The intonation was off by about a half step at the 12th fret, the bridge saddles were rediclous high and the bass was just generally hard to play. Took about an hour to get it set up to where I like it, which isn't a big issue. The neck pocket has a sizable gap on the bass side of the neck but, once again, it isn't a big issue. The finish is flawless on the body and neck, which is something that couldn't be said about my 96 and 02 Fenders, so they've made some strides as far as quality is concerned for finishes. The tuners on this also have a bit of a problem staying in tune, which is expected of an inexpensive instrument. The finish on the neck, though, is a bit uncomfortable for me to play on. I'm used to the old, thick finish on necks. The finish and feel of the neck on this Squier is pretty bland and uninspiring. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Squier by Fender. You know it's going to last. You know the stap buttons won't hold anything. You know you're going to want to replace the pickup. I'd personally rely on this bass if I had no other and I know that this finish is going to hold up to a lot of crap, even the finish on my Epiphone (which is a really thin and cheap finish) is still holding up well after 10 years, so I'd imagine that this Squier's finish, which is much thicker, will hold up for quite a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play just about any type of music, recording and Live, and use P-basses almost exclusively. I've got a 97 Epiphone P-Bass knock off, which after a pickup change, sounds and plays better than this Squier. I've also got a 96 Fender MIM that I've done a lot of upgrades to and absolutely love and an 02 MIM P-Bass Deluxe that's still bare stock. This Squier does not match up to any of my other basses and costs more than my 96 and my Epiphone cost me. I was very disapointed. I picked it up because I liked it's "vibe," and thought it looked cool (not becuase it looks just like Sid Viscous' bass) and figured if I put the work into it, it'd be a great bass. My suggestion: if you get this, replace the pickups, put a Bad Ass II bridge on it, upgrade the tuners and nut and you'll have an amazing bass. But, stock, I'd rather have one of the new MIM Fenders than this thing. // 6

Vintage Modified Precision Bass Reviewed by: Punk P-Bassist, on september 30, 2009

Price paid: C$ 290

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: I got this bass nine months ago as my first bass. MY first, I had been borrowing a few different basses from a couple friends before that, so I wasn't a complete newbie. I looked through all of the basses under $350 on GC and after a month or so I narrowed it down to this or an Epiphone Thunderbird. When I went to my local store I tried out one of each, and the P-Bass won, though I still like the T-Bird and might pick one up in the future. Anyway, it's a pretty simple, no frills P-Bass in white with a black pickguard. Simple. I like simple. The tone knob really changes the sound and the electronics seem pretty good, I haven't had any problems yet, except for a wire I had to resolder, but that was my fault anyway. The pickups are good, or at least, I like them, that's really a personal thing, but the quality is great. You'd probably have to go with one of the $1500 Fenders to get a better one. // 9

Sound: I play Punk and with a pick (mostly Rise Against and Green Day) and this works great for that, (along with my SansAmp VT Bass pedal but that's a different review). It's a P-Bass, so, it sounds like a P-Bass, most of you reading this will probably know what that means. Personally I love the sound, even when I'm not using the pedal it sounds great, very clean, not muddy at all. It seems pretty versitile, but I don't change my settings much (usually half low, no mid, full high). It does what I need it to do great, but sound is a personal thing, so play it before you buy it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is flawless, except for one big dent that was my fault (again) and it plays great. It has the finish on the neck that's not to thick, which I like (I hate the glossy necks), and its a pretty thin neck, very fast, and easier to play chords on than any other bass I've played. However the action is really high because if its any lower it buzzes, I'm gonna get the truss rod adjusted because I don't know how, and I think that'll fix it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass will survive a gig for sure, everything about it seems rock solid, the action being the only issue I have. I've got one of those Planet Waves locking straps (which is great) so I don't need to worry about stap locks, but the buttons seem good, like I said, everything's rock solid. I play it usually a couple hours a day (for nine months now) and it still could pass as Brand New. I would play without a backup, but I've got one, so that's not an issue. // 10

Overall Impression: If it was somehow lost I would for sure buy another one, I have no complaints except the action, which is fixed with a little patience. I wouldn't say it's better than one of the expensive Fenders, but this will beat any other bass under $1000 in my opinion. P.S. The white with black looks awesome. Simple, but not boring, which is also how I play. // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom 9.6 Electric Guitars 08/20/2014