BC300 Review

manufacturer: Stagg date: 09/26/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Stagg: BC300
The Stagg BC 300 offers a high standard of build quality and features. This 4-string Fusion model Bass Guitar is perfect for all levels of bass playing. Its features include 1 x Jazz Bass and 1 x Precision Bass pickups, 2 x volume and 1 x tone controls, hard maple neck, diecast, black machine heads and rosewood fingerboard all on a solid alder wood body.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 6.6
 7.5
 5.7
reviews (2) pictures (2) 12 comments vote for this gear:
BC300 Reviewed by: mouldysandwich, on august 21, 2007

Features: I got this bass in May last year from my local store as it was the cheapest I could find which came with an amp. I assume it was made in China or Korea or somewhere like that. It has standard Stagg P and J style pickups, 2 volume controls and 1 tone knob. It has a solid alder body, a maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard with 24 frets. It has the Stagg factory hardtail bridge and the tuners are the standard Stagg ones (non-locking, diecast nickel). It has a purple gloss finish with all black hardware. They are all relatively cheap components. It also came with a gigbag, a 2nd set of strings, a guitar pitch pipe, a cable (broke in a few weeks), a strap (also broke in a few weeks) and for an extra 20 a 20 watt Stagg amp (CA-20B or something) which I got as well. // 6

Sound: I got this as a first bass to learn and practice on, mostly intending to play rock and some funk. When using it with the amp that came with it you could get vary little tone variety, the single knob on the bass pretty much gave you control over the amount of treble and the amp had only a basic equalizer which only gave you a dull sound with little volume or tone. You only got a very flat sound with no real presence and I had to upgrade the amp within 6 months. Now I am using it with a Roland Cube-30 which makes up for the lack of sound quality significantly but still doesn't give you the tone you'd get from a better quality bass. The pickups also pick up a lot of unwanted feedback which can be very irritating when working at high volumes. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was far too low when I got the guitar, since then I have had to make adjustments to the bridge but I still can't raise it enough and there is a lot of fret buzz. The tuners easily slip while you're playing and something on them buzzes when you play, as did the pickups when I got it: they were ridiculously loose. I have since tightened them and that is no longer a problem. It is very poorly finished, when you take off the back you see how cheaply manufactured it is: a poorly cut hole with burn marks (from a soldering iron) and thick lumps of varnish, paint and glue. The nut isn't well cut for the strings, occasionally buzzing, and it had a very sharp edge, which seems like a minor thing but if you were to slide down towards the bottom of the fret board several times in a session your finger would end up raw. That at least was easy enough to be sanded, but you would still expect it to come out of the factory with a better finish. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this guitar for anything much more than practicing. And it sometimes gives me problems even for that. The input jack has a really bad connection even when I have fiddled with it/bent it into shape. It doesn't help that all of the electronics are really badly soldered, I wouldn't be surprised if there are bad connections elsewhere as well. The finish in easily scored (as in that your finger brushing it as you play can leave permanent marks). Despite that I think it is fairly well bolted together, my bass amp fell on the neck and surprisingly only the amp was damaged. It stood up to that better than its electronics have to a bit of use. // 5

Overall Impression: I have had this bass for a year or so now, and it has done what I wanted it for: I have been able to learn on it and play with mates and it didn't cost me too much. If I were to lose it now though I would not get it again. It is very much a beginner's bass but I must admit I like not having to care so much now about taking care of it. I still feel Stagg could have just done a few simple things to improve it before it left the factory but I guess you get what you pay for. In short, if you are looking for a first bass, it does the job for the price, but if you can hold on and save up your pennies for a while you would be better off getting something more expensive and better built. // 6

BC300 Reviewed by: David Roberts, on september 26, 2011

Purchased from: GAK Music

Features: This bass is the fretless model in black, it was made in 2010 and is superb, the pickups are so different and allow you to create any sound, the finish is superb, the action is great, all I had to setup was the intonation, superb bass and worth 10 times what I paid for it, I have been playing guitars for the past 40 years. // 10

Sound: Superb sounds from this beauty, there is a lot of difference in the sounds from the two different types of pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Superb setup was great although I did have to set the intonation up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Stands up to live playing no regrets at all. This is a robust well made bass. // 10

Overall Impression: Rock n Roll and this is used as a backup bass to a Double Bass. Great Bass buy one and see. // 10

More Stagg reviews rating category latest review
+ S301 5.6 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014