XB300 Review

4.9
 6.1
reviews (3) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
XB300 Reviewed by: *-Casper-*, on september 04, 2007

Features: The Stagg XB300 or "gothic bass" as it is known was bought for a reasonable price as a starter bass. I'm not sure where it was made as it didn't say. It has 24 frets and 3 pickups that don't say what make I just assume that there Stagg. It appears to be a copy of a B.C. Rich Warlock bass as it has the same shape and colour. It has no finish it is like matt black. The tuners are Self Locking. It came with a cover (not a gig bag) a Stagg standard strap, a not so high quality cable and a Stagg amp which was the same make as the bass I think XB300. It has passive electronics and a nice finish that overall makes this bass look extremely playable at first glance! // 7

Sound: The first thing I'll say is that this bass has a nicer sound if you play of the 3rd pickup or the deep end pickup as the sound is a nice deep really grundgy bass sound. To me you can look at this bass in 2 ways. This is because it is not the best bass for anything other than metal and maybe some heavier rock or punk. So one way to look at it is that it does sound exellent as the amp had a distorted and a none distorted channel, The distorted channel sounded awesome with this bass and gave off a metal sound that could be used with any kind of heavier music for an excellent sound. However the clean channel was not the best and did not suit the bass it came with which I thought was strange. The other way to look at this bass like I said is that for slapping, Funk and softer music it is literally terrible it has no sound other than heavy and would just be ruined if someone tried to play RHCP on it! So overall nice sound for a metal (pick player maybe) but not for any1 else. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass was well put together when I first got it and I was well pleased with the way that it played. For someone like me Who likes the sound of a pick on a bass the action was great. I have heard people say that on some basses the fret markers were a bit sharp, however this was not a problem on this bass and it was really, pick up and play. The main problem with this bass was that the "self locking" tuners did not really stay in place and if tightened they would just snap the string for you in response so it never stayed in tune. other than that it seemed ok but that is quite a major thing really also there is quite a bit of buzz of any amp it is put through. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Thsi guitar could probably last through the blitz, a nuclear blast and more it is invincible and I'm not kidding (seriously I have dropped it out of my window and all that has happened is a slight scratch to the body) evrything is good, the strap locks needed tightening but it's not exactly a chore is it? // 10

Overall Impression: This bass overall did match my horror punkishness as like I said I has an awesome distorted sound. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy it again as I have no desire ever to play it again thanks to it's rubbish attitude towards staying in tune. But overall I would say this would be a good buy for any up and coming metal bassists as it has a great sound for that genre. // 6

XB300 Reviewed by: ShigglyB00, on december 08, 2011

Purchased from: Cash Converters Store

Features: I'm not sure where or when my particular model was made, but it's no fancy, Vintage bass. Put simply, this is a beginners bass. I picked it up as my first musical instrument, just after christmas of 2010. It caught my eye due to the shape, as it looked kind of typically metal, which is what I mostly listen to. I picked up a 5W guitar amp and a cable with it and I began my journey into the musical world. It has 24 jumbo frets on its ebony fingerboard attatched to its reasonably comfortable maple neck. The body is solid alder I believe. The controls are made of chrome, which looks nice on the glossy black body. It has a master volume and a tone knob. // 7

Sound: The bass is clearly designed to appeal to the metal fans of the world. I never really had any troubles or anything with the sound of this guitar, but thats because the amp I was using was simply for making the sound louder. There was no quality, effects or anything on it. I'd never used it on a decent amp, so it may not be too bad. But really, this is the kind of thing to be used for learning how to play. There was the occaisional bit of buzz, but nothing too sinister. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up not too bad. Apparently the action was awfully high on it, but being the first guitar I'd ever really used, I managed to work with it fine. Unfortuantely, after playing it for a year, the extremely high action became a default for me and now any bass with a normal height action seems too low. But alas, I'll live. The bass actually looks really nice for being a kinda budget model. I like the bevels on it and the smooth, black, glossy finish over it was really nice. Everything on it looks good, the chrome hardware looks good on the black body, the headstock looks pretty nice and the general shape of it slightly resembles one of ESP's AX models. It had no major flaws really. It was pretty to look at and it worked. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I mean no offence to the bass or anything, but I would never ever use this thing live. It's simply not made for it. Maybe if you bought some good quality pickups, changed the bridge and strings and run it though a good amp. But it would be a lot easier just to get yourself a new bass. Unfortunately, the insides of mines died recently, so I've had to replace it, but I've got a fancy 5 string BC Rich now. The finish of the bass, absolutely great. This thing could genuinely be used as a weapon. It's a tad weighty and the body is rock solid. It's experienced some abuse over the past year, mostly due to strap buttons failing on me, bringing the bass crashing to the ground, but you couldn't tell. // 5

Overall Impression: In conclusion, if your looking for a first bass to start learning on, but you don't want a really typical knock off Fender look-a-like, this may be a pretty good match for you. While I do seem to have ranted on about this bass not being great quality, I don't have a single regret about buying it. Honestly, there's no other bass I wish I had picked up. I've always loved the look of this bass, since the very moment I saw it. It plays perfectly fine, but it's nothing crazy special. If you're looking for a beginner bass or a cheap model to pimp out with new electronics and hardware, then I would highly recommend this bass. It has plenty of charm and charisma, it's not bad for heaviness, it feels nice to hold and it's quite eyecatching too. Not bad for the price that you'll find it at. So again, for a beginner, a perfect model, great price, but once you've mastered the fretboard, you'll want to move onto bigger and better things. I shall admit though, despite my own one's electronics being broken, it isn't uncommon for me to pick it up for a quiet practice. // 6

XB300 Reviewed by: robyk666, on january 10, 2012

Price paid: € 70

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: I don't know where it was made and I don't want to. It has 24 jumbo frets on rosewood board, maple neck and alder body. It is black, ugly, has one humbucker and one JB pickup, Tone knob, volume knob, 3-way switch. // 4

Sound: It doesn't fit any music style, but it's less sh.tty for metal. It sounds like bench with strings. I play it with Vox pathfinder bass amp without effects. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is terrible, about 7-8mm at 24th fret. Pickups make lot of hum. Tuners are crappy, it's hard to tune, but then it stays in tune quite well. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I would never play this live, I would never record it (even cover for youtube) but the hardware looks like it will survive everything. Next thing is that it falls to the head side, what makes playing more difficult. // 3

Overall Impression: I play metal (mostly Megadeth) but I don't think it fits. I have been playing for five months, mostly at home, sometimes with friend (guitar). If it were stolen, I would make friendship with that thief. I bought it second hand for 70, because I didn't know if I really want to play bass. It has 4 strings and fretboard and it was all I needed. Now, when I know I definitely want to play bass, I hate everything on this bass except of jackhole position (on the front panel of the body). If I spent 200 (the cost of new), I would commit suicide. For 140 you can buy SX Vintage J-Bass, which is thousand times better (really, that bass is AMAZING for the money) or Cort ACTION DLX for 200 which is million times better bass (active EQ, soapbars, nice look, perfect action, nice quality and balance) if you don't like jazz bass shape and want something more metal. Now I am going to buy Cort b4 and I will burn this piece of crap in hell. // 3

More Stagg reviews rating category latest review
+ SEL-ZEB 7.6 Electric Guitars 04/14/2014