6 String Fretless Bass Guitar Kit Review

manufacturer: Stellah date: 06/13/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Stellah: 6 String Fretless Bass Guitar Kit
This is a 6 string fretless bass guitar DIY kit. It is a kit of all the parts needed to make your own bass. This is no ordinary bass. I'm very happy with this product and am glad I bought it.
 4.2
 8.4
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
6 String Fretless Bass Guitar Kit Reviewed by: bluedevil11, on june 13, 2012

Price paid: £ 214.99

Purchased from: www.diyguitarkits.co.uk

Features: This is a 6 string fretless bass guitar DIY kit. It is a kit of all the parts needed to make your own bass. This is no ordinary bass. There are a few things worth noting. Firstly it is a six string bass which is a lot more versatile than a 4 string bass in terms of playability. Secondly, it is a fretless bass which gives a very different sound to a fretted bass and is quite fun to play with. It features and elm body (which I think gives a nice tone) and a rosewood fingerboard. Most importantly it has a 'thru' neck which basically means that the body and neck are cut from the same piece of wood and this really improves the bass sustain. The wood is unfinished, giveing you the option to finish it the way you feel fit. It comes with 2 humbucker pickups which although are passive, they still do a great job and sound really good. Other parts like the bridge and machine heads seems standard enough but are more than adequate. // 9

Sound: I like acoustic rock among other styles and this fits the brief perfectly. I've also used it playing along to heavy metal and in a strange way it sounds great also. The low string just delivers amazing power and you can get some quirky effects in the nature of it being fretless. There isn't really any hum as such and I would describe the sound as fairly full with a nice character, which can also be tweaked to some degree using the volume / control knobs. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As it is a DIY guitar kit, you will be making the guitar yourself, so a lot to do with the action and setup etc. Will be to do with how you assemble it. But you should be off to a good start as all the slots and routing are accurate. The neck is wekk made and contains a double truss rod. The nut was reasonably well cut. Overall, the parts are there for you to assemble and they are fairly well made, so as long as you do a good job putting it together, the result should be fairly decent. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'll have to judge this part a bit on the way I put it together. But I've done 2 gigs with it. Not used as my main bass but used it on some songs and I have to say I feel confident with it in my hands. The hardware is fairly rugged and should last me awhile. If you careful screwing everyhting together well and making sure everything is secure, it shouldn't give you problems in the future. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm very happy with this product and am glad I bought it. It is my 3rd guitar to make and it definitely gets easier the more you do it. It is important to start out with good raw materials, and these Stellah kits definitely deliver. A 6 string fretless bass may not be for everyone but they do make more standard 4 string kits if you prefer something a bit more conservative. Maybe if it had active pickups I would give it a 9/10 but the passive pickups genuinely do a great job. It was fun to build and certainly fun to play. // 8

More Stellah reviews rating category latest review
+ SJB 800 9.2 Bass Guitars 08/17/2012