SBJ-62 3/4 Short Scale Review

4.6
review (1) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
SBJ-62 3/4 Short Scale Reviewed by: tunegoon, on november 18, 2011

Purchased from: RONDO

Features: This is a Chinese made short scale, 30 inch, Jazz Bass copy. It has a twenty fret rosewood neck, elephant ear tuners, and a four saddle top mount bridge. I purchased a hard case as well, which cost $49.99. I purchased on Aug. 25, 2009. The controls are standard Jazz Bass; two volume and one tone control. There is no switch and the two pickups are passive. The only included accessories were allen wrenches for the truss rod and saddles. // 6

Sound: I play mainly Blues and rock. I've played this through everything from an old Ampeg B-18 to a direct box straight to the board. It sounds great.You can go from a low thump to a high treble with the standard set up. Most importantly, low, open E rings out loud and clear. This is a problem on many short scale basses. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was decent. I figured the strings would be bad, so I ordered a set of their flat wounds. They were as bad as the originals. I put on a set of GhHS short scale flat wounds and it plays and sounds great. The workmanship is quite good. The frets are smooth and level and there are no finish flaws. The pickups are quiet and have good output. The tuners and bridge are generic but work well. It intonates properly, has a low action with no buzz and the tuners hold like a charm. // 7

Reliability & Durability: We generally play bar gigs a couple of times a month. It's been used on every gig for about two and a half years with no problems. The hardware works and the finish looks like new. I use strap locks and bring a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a guitar player. I bought this as an inexpensive practise bass. Our bass player plays lead and keyboard on a several songs so we switch off. He has a couple of expensive basses. This one gets used most of the time. It's important to add that this bass doesn't look or feel like a toy. The body is proportional to the 30" scale, so it doesn't look small. Our bass player is a big guy and it looks fine. I purposely bought a light color with a rosewood neck to avoid a cheap look. Now that I see it, a red or black one would still be cool. Jazz bass pickguards are too big, so save your money. The pickup cutouts match so you could fit jazz bass pickups in it, but why bother, it sounds good stock. This was my first purchase from Rondo and I was pleasantly surprised. It's much better than I expected. I subsequently bought a TC 730 semihollow Tele copy and and an AL-3125 Les Paul copy. I'm very happy with all three. I reviewed the AL-3125 but wasn't signed in. // 7

More SX reviews rating category latest review
+ Furrian Telecaster Clone 8.6 Electric Guitars 05/29/2014