Array 4 Review

manufacturer: Traben date: 04/25/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Traben: Array 4
Traben Basses are designed to be something special in playability, sound and appearance. The Array 4 features a Basswood body with quilt Maple top, 35" scale, Tribal Flame bridge design, Traben SM Combo pickups with T3 Active Preamp, bolt-on neck, chrome hardware, and more!
 Features: 9.5
 8.4
 9.2
 7.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Array 4 Reviewed by: FadingRoots, on march 18, 2006

Features: My Traben is a 4-string Array bass. 24 frets, active electronics, two active Traben soapbar pickups (with a blend knob, not a swich), abalone dot inlays, matte black finish, and a specialty Traben Array bridge. Volume, pickup, bass, mid, and treble knobs. Amazingly thin, fast neck (thinnest bass neck I've ever played on, in fact). // 10

Sound: Can range from super-mellow to rock-your-balls-off punchy. Awesomely versatile, probably cause of the active electronics. Great harmonics and sustain, due to the massive bridge. I play everything from blues and jazz to funk and slap to metal and punk, and this bass has never let me down. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this from a discount dealer, and when I bought it it was already set up just right. He said he had just gotten it, so assuming it was brand-new, the factory set-up is superb. Action was low enough to be super-fast, but not so low as to give buzz. Custom Traben strings come standard on the bass, and sound great, and the bass holds tune for months. I just moved overseas from Maryland to Taiwan, and after a month and a half of travelling on a boat overseas, the bass was still in tune when it arrived. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had my Traben for a little over a year. The finish chips very easily around the edges, and dents easily too. About a month ago, my Bass pot came loose inside the guitar, and I had to remount it. Also, the neck has bent, or something, and the action at the 24th fret is waaaay higher than it should be, though I could probably fix that with a truss rod adjustment. // 7

Overall Impression: This is the best bass I have ever touched, however short-lived it may be. I love the versatility of its tone, as well as the aesthetic value of the radical body and bridge design. If something happened to this bass I would probably replace it with a higher model of Traben, preferrably one with a gloss finish that wouldn't chip. // 9

Array 4 Reviewed by: WickedBeast666, on april 25, 2008

Features: This bass I bought used, I have no Idea where it was made or what year it was made. It has a 24 fret 34" scale neck. It seems to have Jumbo frets on a awesome rosewood fretboard. It has a nice maple neck though with a natural finish and it is pretty thin. The finish is a an amazing satin black on the body, and a natural finish on the neck. The body style is a double cut Array stay. I really don't know how else to explain it without a pic. The bridge is the signature Traben tribal flame, with a string through body style. The controls are an amazing equalizer, with a blend nob and a master volume. Each one has a middle notch to tell you when you are 50/50. The T-9 active pickups are pretty clean. It has 1 massive humbucker, for the neck, and what appears to be a triple coil in the bridge. // 9

Sound: It suits my style of music perfectly. I play blues, funk, metal, rock. Well basically anything I can get my hands on. I'm playing through a small Crate practice amp, but it still sounds amazing. No noise at all with the volume up to 8, but after that it starts to hum but I believe that's just the crap amp. The bass itself has a amazing sound even with out the amp. This bass works perfect for slap bass, and finger/pick style. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up very well, but It came from the music store used. It did not come from the factory. The pickups needed to be lowered for my taste, they were blocking my slaps. Even used this bass looks almost prefect except for a small paint dent. The guy who owned it before played many gigs with it, and it still works marvelously. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass would withstand Live playing like a tank would withstand running over a ketchup packet. It has stayed in tune for a whole month with me playing it at least 2 hours a day. The hardware is sturdy and seems like it could take a kick without snaping. The strap buttons that came with it are not stock, they are Dunlap locking, but they are solid as the bass itself. I would definably take it to a gig without a backup. I could trust this bass to go on tour without a backup. The finish does leave a little bit to be desired considering that I prefer a gloss over satin. I believe satin is weaker then gloss, but that's just me. If you like satin paint it's perfect. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good match for my variety of music choices. I have been playing bass for a month, but I have been playing guitar for 2 years. Along with I have messed around on my buddies bass in this time. I wish I would of got the sales lady's number, but that has nothing to do with the bass. It was cheaper then a squire with higher end components. How could I beat that. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy from Traben again, but I might go with another model. If I'm going to pay full price I'll get something I would like. I love almost everything about it. Only thing I don't like about it is the finish. I wish it was a gloss black, but oh well. I compared it with some B.C. Rich basses, and Squiers. They didn't even compare in ranks. I also tested out some shectors but for the price I couldn't say no. I wish it was gloss black, but that's just cosmetic compared to tone. // 9

More Traben reviews rating category latest review
+ Array Attack 4 9 Bass Guitars 08/18/2014