V940 Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 10/21/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Vintage: V940
Neat and unobtrusive, the four-rotary control cluster on the Vintage V940/950 Series Bass offers volume and balance, with active bass and treble EQ controls. Central detentes on the rotary control travel offer a useful neutral' reference point for EQ and pickup balance.
 5.2
 5.8
 4.6
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
V940 Reviewed by: ShredderA7X, on october 21, 2008

Purchased from: Second Hand Shop

Features: This Bass has a wonderful 24 Fret (2 Octave) Fretboard and unfortunatly quite a thick neck. I purchased a Black Laminated top Bass. It has a Rosewood Fretboard and maple body, Neck and headstock, Which goes well with the Black Hardware. A very basic shape which I personnally quite like. It uses Active Electronics which are a major letdown because on stage they can cut out and make a clicking noise. So I recomend not performing with this bass. It has a 1 x Volume/ 1 x Balance/ Bass/ Treble Controls and a Adjustable /Raised Tail Bridge. This Bass uses Wilkinson Split Coil x 1/ JZ x 1 (M)WPBE500 (B)WPBE900 Pickups and Wilkinson WJB150 Tuners. // 9

Sound: Its sound is more fluid than punchy, Which doesnt't't suit my technique filled metal playing. I do use an Ashdown Perfect Ten (Unsure on model) with it, and Ashdown are very, very good with amps. it's a very full, rich sound, Very good for melodic sequences. It sound quite fun with slap bass, It always make people smile when I play slap on this Bass. But the Active Electronics are a Major Letdown, Which break the sound up after long periods of playing. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the bass, I was horrified, THe pickups where very loose, I screwed them in and the buzzing stopped. The Bridge is well put on. The nut was poorly cut, The Tuning pegs are extremely loose. Making it a challenge to tune to drop D because after playing on the E string for too long (5 mins) it goes down 1/2 step! // 4

Reliability & Durability: It wont be able to withstand much Live playing. The Hardware seems in good shape, it should last a while. The strap buttons needed screwing in a bit though. I wouldn't use this at a gig without a backup, It would fail me. THe finish seems reasonable however. // 4

Overall Impression: If you need a good practice bass for melodic sequences then this is the bass for you. I have had this bass for 1 Year and it has bored me. I'm saving up for a highly reliable bass. If it were stolen I would go out and get a 60 Stagg to be honest. I wouldn't pay 100 for this bass. // 5

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013