Wraith Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 09/03/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Vintage: Wraith
This model is part of the Vintage Metal Axxe Wraith Series. The Wraith offers the fluid, wide ranging performance of the legendary Floyd Rose double locking tremolo system, with quick and simple push-in tremolo arm, plus the hugely versatile Super 5-way lever switch which gives an amazing range of tones from the two Wilkinson double coil pickups.
 5.4
 8.6
 2.1
review (1) pictures (1) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Wraith Reviewed by: skillsthatkills, on september 03, 2008

Purchased from: Apoco Music

Features: "With an aggressive individual look that definitely takes no prisoners the Metal Axxe Wraith bass is a power loaded guitar. Versatile full of rock tone and ready to rip." It is a very modern bass and I bought mine in 2007. It is a Vintage guitar, and mine was made in the USA. IT is a standard 4 stringed, 24 fretted bass guitar with a twist. It is made of solid wood (Eastern Poplar) and has a laminated top, that changes colour depending on how the light falls on it. It can look either green or black. The neck is made of Maple with bolted on fret board. The neck is a great shade of light brown and looks really good on the bass. The bosy dhape is an individual design, and one you wont find on any other guitar. It is designed to look like an axe, but it has been curved and pointed to form a vicious looking body (that's whay it's called the Axxe bass). It has a heavy duty, multi adjustable bridge that has a raised tail. There are 4 controls, and they are: volume, treble, tone and balance. Once all are tuned up they provide a great metal distorted and overdriven sound. The pickups are 1 Wilkinson split PB and 1 Wilkinson PJ and fit in well with the bass. The Vintage Wraith Axxe bass has a Wilkinson WJB150 tuner. // 7

Sound: The sound is definately a metal sound, which is what you expect. By changing the controls you can get a very avried sound, from an overdriven and distorted guitar to a plain, not so exciting sound. I am using a standard Marshall bass amplifier (B15), as I don't need to change the sound of the bass with an amplifier. It can be very noisy when needed and there is a large variety of sound in the bass. If you are wanting a bass with a great distorted/overdriven sound, I would reccommend this one! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought my bass from a shop, but when I bought it it was in perfect condition. Everything was fitted perfectly and there were no faults with how it looked or how it was put together. The wood was finished well and there were no marks or scratches to be seen. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand Live playing as it is quite a 'tough' guitar and can take a lot of battering. The strap buttons are very solid as I liek to throw it around when I play and it stays in perfect condition! I would be confident with my bass enough not to bring a back up to a gig. As it is a dark finsih you can't see any marks on it if you make any marks. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall it is a great match for my music styles which are mainly metal and heavy rock. I've been playing for almost two years and this guitar has been the best bass I've bought so far. If my guitar was stolen I would probably buy it again because it's got the sounds I need. I love the individual body shape and sound. However the only drawback is it's weight. It is far heavier than any other bass I've played but it makes up for it in sound and shape. I would reccommend this bass to intermediate bassists. I feel it is the best bass you can get with the money as it is such great value. Well worth a look at! // 8

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V6 Icon 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/15/2013