Corvette Double Buck Review

manufacturer: Warwick date: 12/21/2010 category: Bass Guitars
Warwick: Corvette Double Buck
While the Warwick Corvette Double Buck may look identical to its brethren, sonically it is a completely different, superior breed.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 8.9
 9.1
 8.6
reviews (3) 33 comments vote for this gear:
Corvette Double Buck Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 13, 2008

Features: While the Corvette Double Buck shares the Warwick family look, that's about where the similarities end. The double humbucking MEC Pickups put this instrument in a class of it's own. Those massive pickups are housed in a beautiful swamp Ash body with accompanying Ovangkol neck and Wenge fretboard. In addition to the massive pickups and beautiful workmanship, this bass also sports it's own universe of tonal controls and variances. The volume controls doubles as a push/pull mid scoop Switch. The mid scoop function is supposed to keep the edge off normally harsher slap tones. I think that mostly it robs the bass of thickness of tone. Accompanying the volume/mid scoop pot is a 3 band graphic equalizer. The treble knob seems to accentuate mostly the hard, tinny frequencies of the high end. However this is more than compensated for by the subtle genius of the mid control, and the deep roar of the bass control. To add to the sonic flexibility given by the 3 band equalizer, this bass also offers dual coil taps, one for each pickup. These open up a whole other range of sonic possibilities. // 9

Sound: The sonic possibilities that this bass bring are varied and completely unique. While other basses have similar double humbucker designs none of them seem to be as thick or as full as this bass. Even playing through a small setup this bass is still incredibly deep and full sounding. The deep rich tones are beautifully complimented by crisp, clear but often harsh, high end. What really puts this bass over the top are the dual coil switches. When they are switched forward (toward the EQ knobs) both pickups are working in series. This produces a very bright thin tone, such as is often found in metal. When they are switched to the rear the humbuckers are split. This gives the effect of having four single coil pickups. This creates an incredibly smooth mellow sound while still marinating the integrity of the high end of the instrument. However you like your tone, vast sonic possibilities are at your disposal from the moment you plug this bass in. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This and all Warwick basses are beautifully made and produced. This bass is no exception to the rule. While the action is set a little bit higher than I like it, which is easily remedied. This especially thanks to the new Just-A-Nut III. This allows you to raise and lower the height of the nut without taking off the strings, and some major repairs. This reissue of the nut actually works! The finish is beautifully applied, and appears to be very solid. // 9

Reliability & Durability: While swamp Ash is a fairly light and delicate wood, in the context of this bass, it is very stable and substantial feeling, without being overly heavy. In my opinion it is one of the most optimal woods for luithering. The Ovangkol neck and Wenge fretboard combination is a fairly new one. However I think that is just as solid, and may prove to be superior to the old maple and rosewood combination. The tuners on this bass are solid as a rock. They are custom made by Warwick. Probably the weakest part of the combination is the Strap Loks. The screws were literally pulling away from the body after less than 2 weeks of very light use. Beside this minor flaw, this bass is beautifully luithered to last a lifetime. // 7

Overall Impression: What this bass might lack in uniqueness of design, it more than compensates for with a wide range of sonic possibilities combined with completely new, unique, thick sound. While there are some minor flaws present (mostly in the Strap Loks) they all dull in comparison to the splendor of the bass as a whole. // 9

- Nicholas Cole-Klaes (c) 2008

Corvette Double Buck Reviewed by: ImaginaryEvil, on june 03, 2010

Features: This bass was made in Germany, 2008. I hear they've recently moved production to the far east, but not sure which country, possibly Korea or Japan? 24 bell brass frets, awesome tone and feel for any style, pick or fingers but amazing for slap. Solid swamp ash body, wenge fretboard, ovangkol neck. The finish is a beautiful Nirvana Black Oil. This finish doesn't need to be waxed, so easy maintenance. Bridge is the Warwick 2 piece, very easy to set up. Both active and passive... Best of both worlds:) with MEC humbuckers and a 2 band pre-amp. Pickup selectors for each humbucker. // 10

Sound: OMG. The sounds I can get out of this thing have to be heard to be believed. Easily the most versatile bass I've ever played without a single doubt. Great for rock, metal, funk, jazz, r&b, everything is covered. Through pod farm or my Zoom B1 the effects are handled perfectly. Passive sound is gentle for more chilled styles or, push the volume knob in for active, and get badass tones for heavy rock and metal. Shielding is flawless, no hum at all when playing or recording. I haven't tried to down tune this bass at all, but I have no doubt that it would cope with no problems. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it second hand so I have no idea about the factory set up. It was shipped to me by courier from the USA to the UK, and when it arrived it was still perfectly in tune straight out of the case, which says a huge amount for the quality. Action and intonation both perfect. Frets are perfectly even. No loose controls, hardware is awesome, tuning pegs are nice and tight, and the wood is incredible. Great sustain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Definitely would withstand live playing. This bass is built to last years. I would use it at a gig without backup, definitely. Only flaw I have found (and it's only a small one) is that the strap knob at the bottom needs tightening quite often, as with a strap lock it seems to work itself loose. It's never fallen off though. What I did was remove the knob, put a tiny bit of glue in the screw hole and screw it straight back in, and it's never come loose again. I would suggest taking it to a tech for that though! // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock and metal, and it's definitely a good match, but to be honest, it's so versatile I think it would be suitable for anything. $900 is a hell of a lot of money to me, but I don't regret it for a second... It's taken my enjoyment of music to a whole new level. // 10

Corvette Double Buck Reviewed by: KTbass, on december 21, 2010

Price paid: € 1000

Purchased from: Arco Greece

Features: I have the 4string ash body version with a bubinga body top(custom) maple neck wenge fretboard 24 frets and active humbuckers(2).the body style reminds of the classic Warwick design but without the really buff neck that made them really irritating in the past! The pickups are Mec (really good ones)it has 4 knobs(volume pickup selector treble and bass)and you can choose between passive and active electronics by the volume knob(the passive is really weak tho).also there are 2 switches that allow you to make the humbuckers single coil.also the bridge can be a bit of a chore and I'm kinda nervous when I use it to lower tunings but its mostly in my head. I got an awesome gigbag with it(really durable)and a great tool for the trussrod. // 8

Sound: I play this bass through a Warwick Sweet Combo. I've played with this bass a range of styles from blues to funk to rock at which there was little room for improvement and some metal the only genre in which it doesn't correspond as entirely brilliant as the rest.it can produce from jaco growl sounds to ratm and nu metal low sounds. I've used it with distortion to some muse songs and it fits it well. If you want a bass for lower tunings than the standard it would be better to look elsewhere.it can range from bright to heavy and it can cover almost any style. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is great and with some jim Dunlop polisher it looks as good as new one year later. The action was great from the time I got it (sure I modified it a little to adjust it to my needs).the pickups where high enough to mess up the sound to the higher frets but thats easily fixed. One thing I noticed is that you can't really tap at 23.24 fret with great ease but I suppose that's what you expect from this price range(its not exactly a rainbow bass).also when I slap the E Sting its a little dampened and shy but this is easily fixed with a service. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Other that the already known strap lock problem(really loose)that can be fixed with superglue the bass is really reliable. Although its been kinda of a lazy year livewise for me it can really step up and provide you with everything that you can ask. The hardware its really solid plus I've travelled for the last year everyweek through busses to get to rehearsals and the body barely has any scratches(and I'm clumpsy. I don't use back ups when I play live(I change the battery tho everythime because like I said its not really good as a passive bass). // 10

Overall Impression: It is a bass that has a great range of sounds and the more I fiddle with it the better it gets. I'm really aint going anywhere else! This is a Corvette after all! I don't think you can find anything as versatile as this at this price.it was made to groove mostly but with a little help I'm sure it can shred! The only other bass that can really come close to this at this price range is the mayones be exotic although it has a more metal edge that what I'm going for! // 9

More Warwick reviews rating category latest review
+ Corvette Standard Fretless 8.9 Bass Guitars 02/02/2011