FNA Jazzman 5-String Bass Review

manufacturer: Warwick date: 10/08/2007 category: Bass Guitars
Warwick: FNA Jazzman 5-String Bass
Its bookmatched AA flamed maple top, swamp ash back, and Corvette bodyline make this an appealing bass to look at. Its MEC humbucking pickup and Basslines preamp give it ear-captivating sound.
 8.5
 8.4
 8.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
FNA Jazzman 5-String Bass Reviewed by: BassDude2737, on october 08, 2007

Features: This bass is freaking awesome! As far as wood It comes with flamed maple top, a ovangkol neck, and rosewood fingerboard. The Pickup's are Warwick's own, MEC. They are set up, J bass style in Neck position and Humbucker at the bride. They are thick, fat and punchy and every thing in between. As far as the hardware, it is all gold plated, it has volume control, with a push/pull pot for mid scooping, treble, mid and bass controls, as well as a three way coil tap for the humbucker. I'm not exactly sure what the bridge is, whatever it is, it is the only complain of mine on this bass. It relies on the tension on the strings to hold them in place. So you have to try to tune really fast and hold it, or else the strings just kind of fall out. But as far as features, that's really my only complaint. The nut is one of the "Just-a-Nut II's" which is really a handy feature. For those of you Who don't know, they simply have a slot for an allen key, so you can move them up and down while there is tension still on the strings. // 9

Sound: I play most jazz/funk/r&b/blues kind of things, and I find that with my rig (Gallien-Krueger 210BLX-II w/SWR Workingmans 2004 and Behringer Autocom Pro Compressor) it sounds awesome. I always seek the clearest, punchiest, heart thumping sound, and it seems to really perform. I definitely come the closest to this sound when using the Jazz pickup, I think that the humbucker is better for a heavy metal kind of sounds. As far as variety, this bass can get it all. If muddy is your thing, this is the bass for you. If you like clear and punchy then this is also your bass, the amount of sounds is almost unlimited. The complaint mostly here is that I was suprised at how mellow the humbucker was, and I couldn't get it much brighter but, oh well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I had gotten it had been set-up by a friend of mine who worked at Huber & Breeze. However when I got it I noticed that the nut had been set to low, and he said that he didn't adjust it, so that was Warwick's fault. Also somebody when they were assembling it, screwed in the tuning pegs way to tight, so that resulted it a crack that ran down the tuning pegs and into the neck. Lucky I was able to get it fixed, but I was kind of worried about that. Other that that it seems to be setup and alligned good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have played this bass at several gigs, without a backup, which makes me nervous anyways, but oh well. Everything seems really solid, good construction. However the top seems a little bit soft. I have noticed a couple of dings in it, and since it has been my first high quality bass I have been really careful with it, so I'm not sure what that is about. But everything is solid, and the tuning really locks in. I can be slapping and popping all night and the next morning it will still be in tune. I was pretty impressed with that. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall great bass. I still don't get exactly the tone that I want, but I'm really really picky about that kind of thing. Only complaints are the tone of the humbucker, the string spacing is two narrow and I'm going to have to get off my ass and adjust the nut. Following the questions that they are giving me to answer right above this box, yes if it were stolen I would probably get another one, though I have been looking at getting a Guild pilot bass as of late, but that's another review. So overall very, very pleased. Wide range of sounds and beautiful to boot! // 9

More Warwick reviews rating category latest review
+ Corvette Standard Fretless 8.9 Bass Guitars 02/02/2011