Corvette Standard 4-String Review

manufacturer: Warwick RockBass date: 07/25/2013 category: Bass Guitars
Warwick RockBass: Corvette Standard 4-String
With its shape, ergonomics and sound the Corvette Standard satisfies the aspirations of the most demanding of bass players. The switchable, active MEC 2-way electronics combine with the MEC pickup combination and three controls to provide flexible tone control, whether in the studio or on stage.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 8.3
reviews (6) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Corvette Standard 4-String Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2005

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music Hartford

Features: I got my Warwick used, but it still plays just as well as new Warwick's going for twice the price. Like all true Warwicks, it was made in Germany (although my tuners still say east Germany for some reason). It has 24 jumbo frets which top a beautiful wenge fingerboard. The body is all bubinga, and has the standard Warwick oil finish, this thing glows! My bass has the standard MEC passive electronics, with two J-style pickups. A volume and two tone knobs complete the setup. The tuners are, again, standard Warwick (no idea about brand). All hardware is chrome, including knobs, tuners, and bridge. I didn't get any accessories. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, I got it used, but everything looked fine. I noticed a slight buzz near the bridge playing an open low E, but it worked itself out with a bit of fiddling. One of the tone knobs also rattles a bit, but it doesn't seem to affect the sound at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass is bombproof. There's really no other word. This thing could play live forever. No, I wouldn't gig without a backup, but then again, I'm just paranoid. This bass was obviously meant for years of hard playing. // 10

Overall Impression: The Warwick Corvette series is really great for anyone, and basically any style. I've played bass for 3 years (I've got an Aria Pro 2 6-string and a Fretless Jazz as well) and my Warwick is the best I've ever owned. My only regret is that I didn't hold out a bit longer and snag the fretless version I saw recently, but heck, you can't have everything. When I was looking around I tried out a Spector and an ESP B404, but I thought the Warwick beats them both hands down. All in all, this is a great bass, I'd reccomend it to anyone. // 10

Corvette Standard 4-String Reviewed by: bassmonkey16, on december 05, 2005

Features: It came with strings, I don't know which brand or even the guage, but I've owned this abss over a year without changing these strings, and they still hold their tone and tuning, not dead in the least. // 8

Sound: I play all styles. Mostly metal thoough, and this bass handles the power needed to make a metal sound. She has the best growls on the low end notes, and yet high up, she keeps a nice sweet tone. It can make whatever sound you wish of it. However, as it is a "beginner's" bass, it does lack in the overall tone, it is not as rich as higher end basses. But, for $900 CAN, I have not found another bass in this price range that I can even compare it to. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory action was amazing. I could pop and slap this baby to my heart's content the first time it was in my hands. In fact, I haven't adjusted this bass in the least since I picked her up. Unfortunately, it came with a dent in the headstock, however it is unnoticable unless you are like me and examine every inch of it. As well, it had chipped paint on the back, where the body meets the neck. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well one of the first things I did was unstall strap locks on here. The buttons that came with it were way too small, mind you my reflexes were getting very fast after having to catch it a few times. I have played with this bass live a lot, it can handle my abuse (jumping, swinging it around, all the show stuff). As it is my only bass, I sort of have to depend on it without a backup, but even if I owned another bass I wouldn't have many concerns with it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my trusty, one and only bass, holding up after a year of me playing it. I play all sorts of styles when I'm playing bass, and this baby is very versatile. I do play mostly metal, and this bass has got the low end growl I desire, and yet it keeps great tone playing all the high notes. This is my first bass, bought after a year of playing, and I can't think of anything I don't like about it, except for the fact that it is limited in tone adjustment. But, my favorite thing about it, by far, I love the way you can slap this thing. the action was set to play Higher Ground the day I got it. Even the strings that came with it are still sounding great. Whether it's your first bass or ig you've been playing for years, as I have, you must try this out. // 9

Corvette Standard 4-String Reviewed by: MT_Obsidian, on october 29, 2009

Purchased from: Music Villa (local store)

Features: I bought this bass Brand New not too long ago after I was looking for a replacement for my Squirer P-Bass Special. It is a 2009 model that I happened to find in my local guitar shop after they happened to get a shipment of Warwicks in. It has a massive 24-fret neck made of ovangkol wood and a super-solid (and heavy) body made from bubinga. The neck is thick but definitely fast for its size, and I love the fact that it has brass frets rather than the silver ones that most other guitars have. The wood is simply beautiful all over and is very smooth to the touch, but the bass still keeps a "rock" sense about it. It has an oil finish that makes the wood look even better. I got mine with active electronics which boost the sound a lot and give it extra punch. The sad part is that I had ordered a hard case for it earlier in preparation and I didn't even need to: I received a gig bag along with the bass that is built like a tank. I also got a very nice user care kit in the bag as well. All in all, this bass guitar feels very professional and looks absolutely beautiful... Definitely aesthetically pleasing-- even to anyone who may balk at the look of natural wood. // 10

Sound: I play a wide variety of styles-- rock, metal, worship, funk, alternative-- and my Corvette handles every style like it was made for that particular style. It has an amazing low-end growl to the point that I rarely need to use distortion on anything besides very heavy music. However, this is not to say that the treble has been dampened at all; by contrast, it gives clear, resonating tones even on the highest frets. Whether I use a pick or my fingers, it gives the sound I'm looking for. Slapping this bass is absolute heaven: the action is low enough to create a very nice slap sound with a clear tone. This bass delivers for all sounds and all techniques. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: In my opinion, this bass is rock-solid. The wood is heavy but also feels very sturdy, and the hardware looks/feels solid as well. The pickups feel snug and the action is nice and low but not too low that the strings clang against the fretboard too much. It came with its own set of straplocks that are strong and durable. I haven't found any flaws yet, and to be honest I don't think that I will. Everything is in tip-top shape. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like I said before, this bass is solid and built like a tank. All of the parts are solid and seem like they will last a really long time. Everything is nice and tight: the pickups, the straplocks, the control knobs, the bridge... everything. I would totally use this bass in a gig without a back-up; I do not see it failing in any aspect for many years. The only thing is that the finish-- since it is a natural oil-- will probably fade decently fast, and if I don't take care of it and reapply the wax included with the guitar it will probably look rather dull after a while. But I see that not really as an issue but more as a requirement for such a high quality bass. // 9

Overall Impression: I know my review probably sounds like I am trying to sell one of these things, but I am so darn impressed that I can't help but gush about how awesome it truly is. I was originally looking at getting a MusicMan Stingray because I know that those are also great basses, but I am so happy that I chose this one over the Stingray. The MusicMan just didn't have the resonance and overall sound that this bass does. This Warwick has great sound, a beautiful look, and is so durable. It is disappointing that own a mediocre (at best) amp so I can't really use my Corvette to its full potential, but I have used it through good systems before and it sounds amazing. I love everything about this bass and if-- Lord forbid-- it got stolen or destroyed somehow, I would be heartbroken. But I'd definitely get a new one as soon as I could-- maybe even a 5 string version. To those of you who are like me and cannot quite afford something like a Spector or another high-end bass, I would advise you to get a Warwick Corvette. It is more than worth everything you pay for, and will definitely serve you well for a long time. // 10

Corvette Standard 4-String Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 19, 2011

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: This review is for a 2011 Rockbass Corvette. Not to be confused with a German made corvette. Apparently the rockbasses are assembled in China for Warwick. It has 24 frets with a 34' scale. The body is made with Alder, which is far from the exotic woods you'll find in a German Warwick, but surprisingly the wood grain and honey violin finish look great. WAY better than other $400 basses you can find. The hardware and electronics are literally the exact same as you'll find on a $1500 Warwick, except for the fret wire which is not brass. Same MEC pickups in jazz config, same bridge, same tuners. Has the Adjust-a-nut 3. It can come in either passive or active, I went for active. Has volume, pickup blender, treble boost/cut and bass boost/cut. Comes with Warwicks patented strap locks. The only thing I found wasn't up to par was the wiring. Shoddy soldering on the jack and pots, they both crackle. // 9

Sound: Before buying a bass I literally shopped around for months. With my limited budged I could only really afford to look at Ibanez's, Epiphones etc. This stands head and shoulders above all those. You can get great tonal variety through the controls, and the pickups deliver that nice jazz bass punch. I found it to be comparable to Fender Jazz's, higher end Ibanez's, and sounded almost exactly like its German counterpart. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and set up was lacking, as you can expect from a guitar that got shipped halfway around the world in a box straight to your door. Honestly almost every guitar you purchase will have to be set up by a luthier, or by yourself if you know how to do it (its easy. The year is 2011 and you have google, you should be able to figure it out unless your guitar is REALLY out of whack). Also the wiring was crap and the jack was loose. Kinda disappointing to have to fix right after buying but keep in mind it IS a $400 guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is SOLID. Once I took care of the wiring and little stuff, I couldn't find anything that worries me. It also comes with strap locks, so that's a plus. I DO gig without a backup, and I haven't been let down. I worry more about my pedals or amp crapping out on me than this thing. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is near perfect out of the box. Honestly for $400 and a little bit of tweaking, you're getting a bass that can hold its own with basses that are triple its price. This is THE bass for a musician on a budget, you just can't the same quality from a similarly priced Ibanez (and I'm not bashing Ibanez, they ARE good basses! ). If it were stolen I would ABSOLUTELY buy it again, even if I had $1200 to spend. I'd put that extra money toward something worth it, like a new amp. // 10

Corvette Standard 4-String Reviewed by: 4 strings, on april 07, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Amp Keyboard Centre

Features: This is my second ever bass after a Squier Precision bass. New with an alder body, black finish with a rosewood fretboard, typical corvette shape which I love. Absolutely perfectly balance with no neck dive what'soever. Also includes straplocks which are very handy. Came with standard MEC passive pickups (j configuration), I disliked these at first but seem to have gotten use too and now love. Overall great bass, I will not give it a ten as mine developed a faulty a string and a loose knob very quickly. Since these minor issues were fixed it has been perfect. // 9

Sound: I play mine through a gallien krueger mbs150, my playing style is any rock (from prog to metal) I also use a DigiTech BP200 (punch setting mainly) as I feel it adds to my tone. I love the sound from the a and e string, the rumble it makes is wonderful and cuts through brilliantly, I slanted the pickups slightly to increase the output from the g and d strings (I advise you do this) as before they seemed slightly weaker than the lower strings. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As mentioned earlier mine was not set up particularly well, however I did play several other warwicks and rockbasses in the shop before deciding on this and I do not think this a completely fair reflection of there quality control. From my experience I'd rate the factoy setup good. you may be asking why I did not simply buy a different rockbass from this one in the shop, firstly I held the tone of this one above the similar vampyres and thumbs etc. But also it was extremely easy to adjust the action and pickups heights (especially with the adjust a nut feature) this ease of use I love and is another reason why I rate this above your standard MIM Fender or Ibanez SR // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a wonderful guitar for Live playing: it's light, well built and comes with strap locks. While I've had only two oppurtunities so far it's been perfect, I would have no qualms with playing without a backup (I don't just out of good habit) as I know it would hold up fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been a bass player 4 years (seriously for just over 2) this bass suit's me and my playing style perfectly, I love it's tone (I love the punch it has) in the buildup to buying this bass I played probably 30 similar standard basses from Fender, Ibanez, Schecter, OLP, Squier, Epiphone, rockbass, Yamaha and Dean. And I put this one top of the pile. Were it stolen (after hunting down the perpetrator and beating him to death) I'd either rebuy it or save up for the standard Warwick standard bubinga corvette. // 10

Corvette Standard 4-String Reviewed by: LaurenGirvin, on july 25, 2013

Purchased from: Sam Asg

Features: - 24 frets - 2 MEC passive pickups - multi-layered Maple neck with Ekanga veneers - 2/3 control knobs are push/pull - bolts for secure strap - 34 inch - Rosewood fret board - indicators to where the twelfth fret is and what not is on the side not visible to crowds or fans or your computer screen Did not include: - gig bag - tools - case - strap Although they did have security locks for the strap to stay in securely but several times the security lock did not properly work and the bass almost fell as a result. // 9

Sound: I find that when I do play, I play a wide variety (hence my multiple bass collection). The Warwick itself has a muddy sound which is good for when you want to play some heavier stuff or if you want to be the background for a simple pop song cover. It has a deep sound that shakes the house. I use a Fender Rumble 350 as my amp and all the settings are exactly in the middle. I do not use a pedal often or really ever. The bass itself does have some variety but it certainly is not a jazz bass. It is pretty difficult to slap on, but that's a good enough reason to purchase another bass. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is great, strings close to the frets and the frets were beautifully crafted and initially there was no ringing or clicking. My only complaint from this perspective is that the third knob was not properly put on or something and it often fell off (luckily the kind people at Sam Ash fixed that problem.) And I would like to take this time to say that I have had a few times where internally, the bass has broken. The jack gets loose very quickly and from plugging it in for different songs, the jack got so loose and was attached to something or other, because a wire snapped. And just recently another one snapped. I do play a majority of the day and I am often switching instruments, so I am not sure if I got a dud or if I was too rough but I just wanted to put that out there. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The finish has a few scratches in it, and by a few I mean a lot. The scratches are from simple things like necklaces that it hits against and buttons. They are all on the back and I would rather scratches on the body than the fret board or something. Earlier this year though, someone knocked over the bass and it fell fret board first onto the ground. There was a massive amount of rattling only on the G string. So for a fall that big, I was impressed that the only damage was that (plus a scratch but that's not really a big deal to me at least). The kind people again, at Sam Ash, readjusted the fret board and it was back to normal. It also does well at outside shows and does well in parades. // 10

Overall Impression: I started playing bass with the simple things like Green Day and The Offspring and it worked, then I moved onto the Red Hot Chili Peppers and for that, it works for a jam or lonely basement playing, but I would not use the Warwick to do a cover or play in public just because there are better options for that kind of music for the same price. I have been playing for roughly 2 and half years and I started on a bass that the strings were like 2 inches away from, so this DEFINITELY is a step up and I would suggest it to anyone really. // 10

More Warwick RockBass reviews rating category latest review