Streamer Standard 5-String Review

manufacturer: Warwick RockBass date: 01/15/2014 category: Bass Guitars
Warwick RockBass: Streamer Standard 5-String
The solid carolena body, hardly ever found on basses in this price range, delivers a large variety of exceptional, pleasing tones and incredible sustain.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
reviews (2) pictures (4) user comments vote for this gear:
Streamer Standard 5-String Reviewed by: my_elemenohpee, on august 26, 2004

Features: 24 Fret, rosewood, full-scale neck. The finish comes in two styles, transparent red gloss, and black gloss. The body is made out of solid Carolena, so it's pretty heavy, but still retains the classic Warwick Streamer shape. The one piece bridge is very sturdy, don't worry about anything happening to it. It has passive electronics, and includes 2 volume (P2, P2), and 1 tone controls. The pickups are closer towards the bridge, and are both MEC Soapbar pickups. The tuners are Warwick made, and hold up very well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This area the bass tends to lag in. The action was not very good on the factory set up, the pickup springs were way to strong, causing the machinehead to pop out of the wood. The only complaint about the body is some of the grain patterns. Being the sub-company of Warwick, they get all the left-over woods. Other thans those fue things (2 of which can be easily fixed), the bass is fine. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As long as you tune everything up before a show, and fix the couple issues with the action and pickups, it will with stand live playing with flying colors. I would bring it to a live show with out back up. But I always bring a backup just incase of that 1 in a million chance, no matter what bass I'm using. The strap buttons tend to let the strap slip, alot, but just buy strap locks or use some good old fasion duct-tape to hold it there. It seems the finish will last a long time, it's on there pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this bass is that it's very versitile, can handle the majority of music styles, looks nice, and plays even nicer. I've been playing for just about 2 years now. I own this bass, a Fender Squier P-Bass, a behringer BX300 combo, my Ampeg BA-115, and the Big Muff Pi distortion/sustain. Although I tend to borrow my friends Warwick Thumb just because it's even better than this one. If it were stolen or lost, and I needed another bass immediatly then yes, I would buy another one, but if not I'd save up and go for the real Warwick. I love the neck on it, it just flows so smoothly through your hand, like a hot knife through butter. It is a little heavy, and makes a P-Bass seem light, but my favorite feature about it is the fule-scale 24 fret neck. I compared this to deans, fenders, and other numerous brands I can't remember right now. I chose this one because of it's versitility and just all-around awesomness. // 10

Streamer Standard 5-String Reviewed by: Louthesnakeman, on january 15, 2014

Price paid: € 455

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: It's "simply" a made-in-China bass... Yet, it might be the best made-in-China bass in it's price range. It's equipped with 24 frets on a 34 inch scale. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. The body is made of so called Carolina pinewood, which has a nice marking on it and is quite heavy. My Streamer has a natural satin finish but they are available in several other finishes. It has chrome hardware, looks really fancy and all but the thing about the bridge is that it's fully adjustable. Not only the intonation and action hight can be adjusted, but also the individual string spacing.

My Streamer is equipped with 2 MEC passive vintage humbuckers which (sadly) are very low in output. Both pick ups have their own volume control yet they share 1 tonepot. The tuners on this bass are Warwick's. I do love how they are angled though. // 8

Sound: The sound of this bass is actually great for rock, metal, blues and jazz though it is quite punchy. I mostly play a lot of grindcore (Brutal Truth, Wormrot, Napalm Death etc.) and it does just fine. At home I play through a Carlsbro bassbeaver with bass on 8, mid on 0 and treble on 4-5 and the bass can get me the low end that I like.

The only major drawback is that I have to crank my amp WAY up because of the low output humbuckers. Being low-output, the bass is not noisy at all, no hum, no buzz. There's not a lot of variety in sound however, the humbuckers don't sound extremely different. The drawback being the output level. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up out of the box was very shameful for both the company as well as the dealer. The action was extremely high, the stringspacing was uneven, the trussrod had to be adjusted... But after fixing all of this it played great. Warwick does provide all the tools necessary, you get 2 allenkeys for adjusting your bridge and 1 big key for adjusting the trussrod. Also, for the beginners among us, there's a good and clear manual included for adjusting your bass to your personal preferences. The pickup hight is just fine and cosmetically, this bass is great so because of the poor set up I rate this a 7. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Oh it will last. No doubt about it. The hardware is of good quality, the tuners stay in tune and the bridge is solid as a rock. It comes with it's own straplock system comparable with the Dunlop straplocks and they work great. They're easy to mount (not like those Dunlop straplocks, they frustrate me) and they look sturdy. I'd play this without back up without any hesitation and don't worry about the finish... It will last forever. I rate this a 9 because I'd like to see grover tuners on it but that's a little autistic preference of me. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of grindcore and other heavier styles. I rarely play anything softer than Black Tusk-like music and this bass can take it although it might get a bit too rumbly sometimes. Distorted it sounds nice and tight. I've been playing for 15 years now and buying this bass was a gamble since I ordered it online without ever touching one before. I'm the winner of that gamble.

Compared to my Ibanez RD900 (active) and my own-built P-bass, the Warwick RB Streamer Standard is a good choice for those who want a sound with more balls than a fender and a rougher edge than most Ibanez basses. I simply love how simple the bass is, it's just a plain no nonsense bass with a great sound. If it got stolen or I forgot it at the bar or something, I'd definitely buy another one. Only thing I might change over time is adding a onboard pre-amp... but that's not a must.

Bottom line:

I'm satisfied with this bass and it's a nice addition to my sound in the band I play in. It's reliable, sturdy, good sounding and great looking. All in all I rate it an 8 overall. // 8

More Warwick RockBass reviews rating category latest review