Lyon LB21PAK Review

6.3
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Lyon LB21PAK Reviewed by: Washburn91, on april 07, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This was a pack that included many items along with the bass itself. The pack included a strap, DVD, 10 inch cable, picks, gig bag, tuner and a truss rod wrench. The extras were not too bad. The DVD would help if you were just starting out and the tuner worked pretty well. The cable has gone in and out on me, but it took three years before that happened. The Lyon bass came in a black finish, chrome tuners, single split-coil pickup, and chrome tone and volume knobs. The bolt-on neck is maple, with a rosewood fretboard. For the price, the features were pretty fair. I did not expect much more. // 8

Sound: I play this through a 75 watt Legion Sound bass amp. Even with all the controls on my amp, it is hard to get a unique sound out of this bass. The tone is not too versatile and just a bit dull. You can get a decent sound, but don't expect to do a whole lot, even if you have a nice amp or pedals. The more you turn up the tone knob, the more buzzing you will get, but even then it's not too terrible. I changed the strings quickly and that did help the sound. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory action was very high, however it helped at first to strengthen my fingers. Later I had it lowered for easier playing. Don't expect to much slap or pop on this bass. You can, but it's not going to sound like it should. The intonation was off as well. Other than the action, everything else seemed to be put together pretty well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This could last a gig, but I would not recommend it because of its dull sound. All the hardware has lasted for three years now and does not seemed to be showing any signs of falling apart. I beaten this thing around for a while and it's just as reliable as when I got it. For tuning, this bass stays in tune pretty well but the intonation is hard to get right. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for almost four years and this was my first bass. After taking lessons for years and learning so much, I figured I could review this bass pretty well. I would never buy another one, just for the simple fact that I need something better than a beginner's bass. I like how it has lasted for as long as it has, but still, the dull sound is a bummer. For the price I think these ratings are fair. Had I payed anything over $150, I would have given much lower ratings. I would recommend this to a brand new bass player if they were low on cash. // 7

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WM24 Renegade 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/10/2014